It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Undiagnosed heavy-headed dizziness and vision weirdness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
    Lightness
    (female)

Lightness HB User
    Undiagnosed heavy-headed dizziness and vision weirdness

In all honesty, in over 13 or 14 years I have not felt "normal".

When I was 20 years old I led a life of smoking, drinking, doing drugs and so-called "partying" until one day I was getting high and something didn't feel right. Suddenly I wasn't high anymore, I just felt strange. Things didn't look right, I felt pressure in my head and just out of it. Anyways, the pot wore off but the strange feeling didn't. I lived with pressure in my head, ringing in my ears, blacking out of my vision in one eye when I bent over, inability to communicate with people or look people in the eyes, headaches, and so on until after my son was born in 1992 I was diagnosed with Pseudo Tumor Cerebri. This was after having a clean MRI, a lumbar puncture with a high pressure, and I also had papilladema. I never had the severe headaches that people talk about with Pseudo Tumor Cerebri. I just felt strange. Over the years I have learned to deal with a lot of the PTC symptoms. The pressure in my head and blacking out of my vision went away. But I have always felt different.

Now I am 35 years old and last month in January I began to feel dizzy and it has not gone away. It is not a vertigo/spinning type of dizziness, but a heavy-headed off balance type of dizziness. My hearing - everything sounds LOUD. My vision - I have trouble reading, driving and especially being in large open spaces or in the grocery store where I have to try to look at things on the shelves. Occasionally, I have tingling in my feet and lips. I have not worked in 5 weeks. I'm scared to go back to work because I don't know how I will deal with things feeling the way I do. At home I can always lay down or just sit when I am overwhelmed. At work I have to be alert and constantly moving around (I work in a very busy Police Department in Records).

I have been seeing my PCP and she thinks I have Vertigo. She has run blood tests and everything seems normal except I was anemic (not now since I have been taking iron supplements) and my throid function test is out of range (and has been since last August when I had a physical). She is not concerned with the thyroid results and told me to come back in two months and have the tests done again. I am scheduled for a no contrast MRI of my brain on March 1st.

Has anyone ever felt this constant dizziness? Also what about the strange vision problems? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you, Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
    Filmrobe

Filmrobe HB User
    Re: Undiagnosed heavy-headed dizziness and vision weirdness

Hi, Heather. It is fair to say that the dizziness and vision problems have been commonly reported on this site, and equally common to find a fairly high degree of possible causes suggested. I, for example, have similar symptoms, and tend to attribute the cause to cervical back problems, because most of the problems I deal with are back-related. But, unless you tell me that you have significant stress in the neck area I would never suggest we have the same underlying problem.

While anything I say at this point would be speculative at best, I would suggest you at least take advantage of your self-imposed stay-at-home to determine if your symptoms are significantly mitigated in the process. I'd be curious to know if you show any improvement on this basis alone? Good luck. I hope the rest does help, and allows you time to gain clarity on what might be causing your long-standing problem. Bob

Last edited by Filmrobe; 02-20-2005 at 05:40 PM.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
    anjr831
    (female)

anjr831 HB User

Hi Heather,
    When you say that you feel off balance, dizzy and heavy- headed do you also have a sensation of the ground moving up and down while walking or even standing? (Sort of like your strolling on a wave).
    When you say it's hard for you to be in really big open spaces is it because you become so unbalanced and feel like you could just fall over.
    I also have a dizziness heavy-headed feeling but with me the ground feels like it's moving up and down, it's not like a vertigo attack where the room is spinning though, although sometimes it does feel like the room is moving up and down with me.
    I have had a clean mri to and my ent says nothing is wrong. I however don't have the same problems with hearing. I do have vision problems but it' more like seeing halos around lights, visual static at night and day also floaters.
    I want to know if you have the moving up and down sensation while walking so keep me posted
    Anj.

Last edited by anjr831; 05-02-2005 at 10:56 AM.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:26 PM   #4
    stcarlsen
    (male)

stcarlsen HB User

I have the same problems as you the ground moves like a waterbed, and all the vision weirdness. let me know if you have any questions. how did yours start? was it gradual? how long? thanks.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
    anjr831
    (female)

anjr831 HB User

Hi Stcarlsen,
    yes I can totally relate to the waterbed sensation where the ground moves up and down. It's not just the ground moving up and down though it's the other feelings that go along with it, to me it feels like a wave will just come up underneath from the ground and then go through my entire body all the way up to my head causing me to feel like I'm moving up and down. Also very heavy-headed/dizzy and not just in the head in the entire body, like some unseen force has just overlaped itself on my body. It get's worse in crowded areas ( like a mall), it happens when I'm sitting to or laying down my balance is so bad! Feels like I'm going to fall over any which way. I feel super disoriented like I'm living in a dream, like I'm not in my own body. Also it feels like when I'm walking and I'm having the up and down while walking sensationn I feel shorter than I am, like I'm much closer to the ground (does that maks sense). My dizziness/up and down motion varies, it started about 2 years ago and when it first started I panicked!! I went to the doctors got a cat scan,mri,ent blood work the whole nine yards. When everything came back normal I just tried to ignore my dizzy spells as much as possible (it was hard). I didn't always have the up and down moving motion (which was by far the worst!) but I did always have a sense of dizziness and off balance.
    For the last 2 weeks I've had the dizziness/off balance/up and down motion and now I've decided to make the rounds with doctors again, this time I won't stop untill I find the answers I'm looking for!

My vision problems are I have a really grainy/staticy vision. You might have heard this refered to as visual snow or t.v. static. I see floaters, white specs against the blue sky, after images, halos around light epecially at night all sorts of weird fun things! My vision problems started years back when I was just a little girl, although I don't know the exact cause I think it started with a trauma in my life because it was litteraly one day I turned the lights off and hello!!! I had snow! I do have migranes and have suffered from them since I can remember. So for me it started with snow at night the other stuff just kinda progressed as the years went by. It never really bothered me until recently because I see the snow alot during the day I have shimmering vision to and also see wavy type things (notice it with pattern alot). I think I can handle it but if it get's worse I don't know what I'll do! I can however handle my vision problems more than the unbalanced up and down motion while walking, that feeling stresses me out!

So I hope I've answered some of your questions, please tell me if you have some of the same symptoms as me. Have you seen a doctor about the up and down motion you feel while walking? If so what did they say? How long have you had these feelings? Do you find if you lie down with a pillow under your neck the sensations lessen? Let me know if you have any more questions!
    Byeeee!!

Last edited by anjr831; 05-02-2005 at 10:55 AM.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
    hdnighttrain

hdnighttrain HB User

HI all, Wow, all sounds so familiar to me. I have the constant 24/7 off balance, bouncy feeling and also at times I will get a thrusting feeling come over me like some unknown force is pushing me inside of myself. It feels like it comes from my eyes but I also have a terrible tension/pressure in the back of my neck and head that feels like it could explode any minute. Sometimes my hearing will fluctuate in and out too, other times I feel shakey, disoriented, out of it. My legs ache and neck sometimes which I think is from my body trying to compensate to keep me upright. It is an awful feeling, one I get all of the time, it comes over my quickly or sometimes is always there for no apparent reason. I have had all the tests you could imagine. I have been in 2 accidents in the past where now looking back I think I suffered whiplash but my neuro otologist dosnt think this is playing the major role in all of this. He said my rotational chair test showed an abnormality where the signals from my eyes and ears isnt't getting to my brain. So I guess its brain damage in some form. All I know is that it really sucks and is destroying my life. As to all of the visual stuff I too have that consistently 24 hrs a day. Flashes, floaters, specks, colors popping up, shimmering in the distance. He has diagnosed my with something called MAV(migraine assoc. vertigo) and I have to take Topamax, xanax and go to vestibular rehab to try to get my brain to compensate for this. I tried the whole gammut of meds, antidepressants, trycyclic antidepressants, beta blockers but I am extemely sensitive and had bad reactions to these. I am hoping that this "migraine" that has been with me 24/7, 365 will finally break, the funny thing is rarely do I have the true migraine just a headache but he said that dosn't matter. I am skeptical but will try anything as this has ruined my life and created quite a bit of panic for me. I am still working however which has been the hardest thing for me, I am an RN and it is hard to maintain myself in that fluorescent lit, crazy place it really sets me off big time. Hope some of this helps and so you know you are not alone. It is a mysery though for sure.
    Best wishes to you,
    Kim

Old 04-29-2005, 06:39 PM   #7
    stcarlsen
    (male)

stcarlsen HB User

Hi, yes i have been to probably 15 or 20 docs in the last year, and had all the tests. Ive had an ENG, Brain MRI, CT, sinus CT, echocardiogram, heart ultrasound, holter monitor, blood tests, EEG, BAEP, tried allergy medicine, and even had tubes in my ears. and tried antivert, valium, xanax, Depakote(migraines), and been to the chiropractor, accupuncture, psychotherapy, hypnotherapy, and probably some other things that i cant remember. it started last year kind of out of the blue, and i had a panic attack and went the ER, and since then it has been there. luckily, i usually feel almost "normal" when laying down. honestly, i think that this is all at some level psychologic, but i dont know how. feel free to ask me anything.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:56 AM   #8
    Trivial Rush

Trivial Rush HB User

HI lightness i was wondering what kind of drugs did you abuse? Did you do a lot of cocaine by any chance or vicodin and alcohol. Iam a recovering drug addict and i snorted coke for 3 years and for one year did exstacy. And the same thing happened to me i decided to cut down on the drugs and one day i was just on vicodin and i felt weird and from that day on my life has been hell. I feel out of it most of the time dizzy and when i walk i feel like the ground is moving up and down. I don't pick up on everything people say to me i have to ask what twenty million times I ve been clean for almost 2 years but my memory sucks and i get headaches all the time and iam confused and not sure of anything. And lights may appear brighter and my hearing sucks as well and i have perceptual problems peoples faces might look distorted or strange to me its scary but i've gotten used to it. Iam just wondering does this mean i will never live a normal life again.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:54 PM   #9
    jessa25
    (female)

jessa25 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anjr831
    Hi Heather,
    When you say that you feel off balance, dizzy and heavy- headed do you also have a sensation of the ground moving up and down while walking or even standing? (Sort of like your strolling on a wave).
    When you say it's hard for you to be in really big open spaces is it because you become so unbalanced and feel like you could just fall over.
    I also have a dizziness heavy-headed feeling but with me the ground feels like it's moving up and down, it's not like a vertigo attack where the room is spinning though, although sometimes it does feel like the room is moving up and down with me.
    I have had a clean mri to and my ent says nothing is wrong. I however don't have the same problems with hearing. I do have vision problems but it' more like seeing halos around lights, visual static at night and day also floaters.
    I want to know if you have the moving up and down sensation while walking so keep me posted
    Anj.
    I have the same exact symptoms as you Anj, It is so annoying I am going to see a neurologist on 5/27

Old 05-18-2005, 04:04 PM   #10
    foshizzle

foshizzle HB User

i empathize. considering your past history of drug abuse, you might be suffering from secondary depersonalization disorder -- its a psychological phenom. look up depersonalization on ******...youll find many people who relate.

Closed Thread