It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Adult Hydrocephauls and shunt surgery.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2005, 06:13 PM   #1
    mcoffey42

mcoffey42 HB User
    Talking Adult Hydrocephauls and shunt surgery.

I have had both a ct scan and MRI both with contrast. I have had a lumbar puncture, and some of the excess fluid drained. I also at the same time had the Cisternogram. I am scheduled for VP shunt surgery the 27th of this month. And was hoping there is someone else out there who has had this and can tell me more about "life" after the shunt placement. Oh and I am also on medication to slow down the production of spinal fluid, and directics (sp?) to keep fluid level as low as possible. The upsetting part of the story is my neurologist, got the cisternogram and spinal fluid test results and was supposed to send them to the neruosurgen (which he scheduled my appoint with) and didn't. Lucky I had a copy of my scans with me, and the neurosurgen assured me he would get the test results before the surgery. Well I would like to know what the tests showed. Not only was this expensive I had a HORRIBLE "spinal" headache!! What do you think I should do about that?
    Thanks for any help or advice.

The following user gives a hug of support to mcoffey42:
    lgraber72 (04-06-2011)
    The Following User Says Thank You to mcoffey42 For This Useful Post:
    lgraber72 (04-06-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
    head1

head1 HB User
    Re: Adult Hydrocephauls and shunt surgery.

hi,
    i have idiopathic intracranial hypertension which is very similar to hydrocephles and the spinal headache was a low pressure headache as they had drained you.the best cure is plenty of bed rest and fluids,caffeine is good for raising csf pressure.you can always ask for a blood patch to stop the leak which causes the low pressure as the puncture carries on leaking for a couple days after being punctured.

Closed Thread