It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Fear of the unknown

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
    MiriamOLong
    (female)

MiriamOLong HB User
    Fear of the unknown

So I know there is something wrong with me and has been for a long time. Let me give a little back ground on myself. I am 25, female, overweight (not sure if this matter about anything).
    For a huge part of my life, about 12 years, I have these spells of feeling "distant, not there, or even like severe brain fog", they come and go and when I was younger I was too scared to tell my parents about them, so I just lived with it. I haven't let it effect my life much, mainly b/c I guess I never thought much about it. I have graduated college, gotten married and had a baby (he's now 13 months old). Lately they have been lasting a lot longer, days at a time.
    But within the past year I have started developing other symptoms which have me thinking I could have some sort of brain disorder. About a year ago I developed an internal shakiness. Like I felt like I was having tremors but visible there was no shaking. I had my thyroid checked and it is slightly underactive. Within the past 2 months my head, like my brain feels like it is shaking also. So I am almost confident that my thyroid is not causing the shaking.
    So now I also am experiencing a "pounding" sound in my head. Severe sinus headaches occasionally, and really bad ear pain with a slight dizziness. In fact last October I had such a bad dizzy spell I couldn't bear weight on my legs and I thought I might die.
    I'm so frusterated b/c I have seem my general practioner about 10 times this past year for all these various things, I even saw an ENT, who was horrible and no help at all.
    I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow and I am going to pretty much demand some sort of testing done, but I have no idea for what. Do any of you all have any possible idea what could be causing all these symptoms?? My biggest fear is a brain tumor that has been growing for like 12 years.
    I would love any feedback..
    thank you soo much
    -Miriam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
    MiriamOLong
    (female)

MiriamOLong HB User
    Re: Fear of the unknown

So I went to my general practioner today and now I have an MRI scheduled for next week. I have never had an MRI and I'm very nervous. Can someone please tell me what to expect..thanks

Old 05-06-2005, 03:19 AM   #3
    Kean

Kean HB User

ive never had mri but from wot ive heard its nothing to worry about. Takes some time tho i think.
    dont worry it will rule out a lot of things.

kean

Old 05-06-2005, 07:39 PM   #4
    MiriamOLong
    (female)

MiriamOLong HB User

thanks so much for your response...you are definately right about it ruling out a lot of things

Old 05-07-2005, 04:01 AM   #5
    Chris1968
    (female)

Chris1968 HB User

Hi Miriam,

You will be just fine with the MRI, Ive had 2 and they were no problem, unless you have a big problem with enclosed spaces - its a bit noisy but they give you ear plugs to wear and you can get their attention if you need them to stop it or anything, takes about 25- 30 minutes (certainly one of the better tests Ive had done in the past few years Good luck - Im sure you will feel better once anything sinister is ruled out,

Chris

Old 05-07-2005, 04:05 AM   #6
    MiriamOLong
    (female)

MiriamOLong HB User

I had a horrible night last night. I was up basically all night unable to sleep b/c of my shakiness. My shakiness is not very visible but it feels like its inside..does that make sense. It's horrible, I hate it. And now today my legs feel so weak and tired so now I'm even more freaked out then ever. It's only 6 am and I know it's going to be a long day. GRRRRRRRRRR...
    does anyone else have this type of shakiness?? If so do you know what causes it?

Old 05-18-2005, 12:11 AM   #7
    krisk
    (female)

krisk HB User

I've had about 10 MRI's on various body parts. Just wear the earplugs and try to go to sleep. It will be over in about 20 minutes. Sounds a bit like jackhammers. They can give you medicine if you are claustrophobic. It is the best test for ruling out things. Good luck. krisk

Closed Thread