It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Scared for my life Please Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #1
    Okiemom2005
    (female)

Okiemom2005 HB User
    Scared for my life Please Help!

This is sort of a long story for me but I will try to be as short as possible.
    This started when I was about 15 years old. I am 31 now.
    I started having these spells or episodes or whatever you might call it.
    Well my symptoms were that everything started to move way too fast and I couldn't control when it was going to happen. What I mean is that everything would seem to speed up during these spells. I would be walking at a normal pace for example but it felt to me like I was walking five times faster and everything around me was moving faster.
    I would feel very out of it while these spells were going on. About the time I started having these spells I always remember asking my mom Does it sound like I am talking fast to you because everything was moving faster to me.
    She of course said no. Well my ears began to ring about that time too when these spells started.
    I have been to my family physician, and ear doctors and even the ER and no one can find what is going on.
    I can't lay in a quiet room with no noise at all because my head feels funny inside, I can't describe the feeling very well, and I can't block out the ringing in my ears.

I have been spell or episode free for over five years and one night they came back. From November 2004 to January 2005 I had one a month about. They don't last very long, about 5 to 15 minutes at the most. I haven't had one since February but since they started again I just don't feel right. I am so scared of the next one. I have been living with them for so long I would think I'd be used to it by now but I'm not and I live in fear of the next one that is going to happen.
    I don't know when its going to happen and I can't control it or stop it. I can't feel it coming on just all of a sudden everything starts moving too fast. Then it is gone all of a sudden just as quickly as it started.
    I am so scared that something is wrong and I'm going to die.
    I don't have to money to go back to my doctor again. The last time I saw my family doctor he told me it could be a pinched nerve in my inner ear.
    I asked him if it could be a form of seizures and he said no.
    Well I called his nurse and told her on the phone that these spells had come back and she started to say something but stopped. That really scared me !!
    She said It sounds like.... then stopped.
    She said he may want a cat scan done. Could it be a tumor or something that has been there for 15 years undetected since this started?

Has anyone ever had symptoms like this or anything similar?
    What do I do now? Please any advice is very very much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2005, 10:51 PM   #2
    krisk
    (female)

krisk HB User
    Re: Scared for my life Please Help!

Hi--The ear ringing could be tinnitus. Sometimes that is caused by taking alot of aspirin. I don't think you have a brain tumor. If you did you would have headaches, nausea, problems walking and with balance in general. The fact that they aren't finding anything when you go to the doctor is a good sign. Things speeding up--or feeling that way could be a panic attack or anxiety, and medications like Paxil or Lexapro could help with that. The fact that these spells come and go suggests maybe that they are related to stress or anxiety in your life. Or you could have Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. Many times with that your mind feels like it is going in a million directions and can't slow down. There are also medications for that that you can get from a doctor. But it might be a good idea to get a CAT scan done or an MRI just to rule out other disorders. Hope this helps. krisk

Old 05-17-2005, 10:58 PM   #3
    krisk
    (female)

krisk HB User

Hi--The ear ringing could be tinnitus. Sometimes that is caused by taking alot of aspirin. I don't think you have a brain tumor. If you did you would have headaches, nausea, problems walking and with balance in general. The fact that they aren't finding anything when you go to the doctor is a good sign. Things speeding up--or feeling that way could be a panic attack or anxiety, and medications like Paxil or Lexapro could help with that. The fact that these spells come and go suggests maybe that they are related to stress or anxiety in your life. Or you could have Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. Many times with that your mind feels like it is going in a million directions and can't slow down. There are also medications for that that you can get from a doctor. But it might be a good idea to get a CAT scan done or an MRI just to rule out other disorders. Hope this helps. krisk

Old 05-21-2005, 10:53 PM   #4
    Okiemom2005
    (female)

Okiemom2005 HB User

Am I crazy or what? Does anyone else ever feel like this?
    Its not a panic attack because I've had those. Those are a nightmare too.

This is an actually physical feeling of everything like it just speeds up twice as fast when its not.
    No one around me knows because I can function normally and continue whatever it was that I was doing before it happened.
    I don't know if it has anything to do with it but a few days before it happened I had went in for a colonoscopy and endoscopy. If anyone has ever had that done you know they put you under "conscious" sedation where you're still awake but don't remember a thing.
    If it affects your nerves and your senses then maybe it threw something out of whack to start these feelings or these episodes back up again.
    Just a thought.

Old 05-21-2005, 10:59 PM   #5
    kitkat77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kitkat77 HB User

There was a thread on healthboards a while back, where the person was experiencing something very much like you describe. It turned out to be anxiety, but a rare form.

Definately sounds like anxiety to me, regardless.

Closed Thread