It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• "Drunk"/numb, no balance, vision jiggly

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2005, 01:12 PM   #1
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
    Question "Drunk"/numb, no balance, vision jiggly

Hello all!

I'm hoping some of you will comment on what I'm experiencing 24/7. Brain fog is bad today so I hope I make sense:

- Drunk feeling: I feel as if I've had a few drinks on an empty stomach or taken 2 full strength antihistamines. I feel as though I am stuffed inside a giant marshmallow. I'm out of it, foggy, dopey, slow, mentally numb. I'm not a drug user nor a heavy drinker. It's not a "high", it's more like my brain is under a pile of blankets.
    - Numb: my face feels slightly numb. If I touch the skin, I can feel it but just sitting here, I don't feel the air on my face. I feel disconnected.
    - No balance: I walk into walls and I fall over when I try to put on pants. I can't walk at all in the dark.
    - My field of vision jiggles but only when I'm moving: when I am driving or walking, my field of vision jiggles around exactly like a badly made home video! Everything is clear and in focus - just jiggly.

- No vertigo, no headaches, no auras, no halos, no pain anywhere.
    - No change in symptoms when I stand, lie, turn, eat, don't eat, sleep well, sleep badly, etc
    - I've seen the docs (more than 10 different ones), had the tests (too many to list) .... and they all say I'm healthy as a horse.

Only thing that's turned up is an "old" Lyme disease infection for which I'm taking large doses of antibiotics; no inkling of improvement yet. And I'm terrified.

Any thoughts, ideas, comments?

Thanks!
    6Blues

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
    DianeMarie73

DianeMarie73 HB User
    Re: "Drunk"/numb, no balance, vision jiggly

I have alot of those symptoms and t took me at least 10 yrs to find out I have a pituitary tumor

Old 05-24-2005, 07:59 AM   #3
    DGO1223
    Inactive
    (female)

DGO1223 HB User

Ever had a B-12 test? Went through similar to what you did, finally got my Dr. to test it for me and I was deficient. I saw 3 Docs, yet none even thought of it.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
    olia

DGO1223,

What does B-12 test reveal? Are your symptoms better now?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-01-2005, 07:29 AM   #5
    suzyisdizzy
    (female)

suzyisdizzy HB User

It sounds a lot like what I have which is an inner ear disfunction. I don't have a clear cut diagnosis either, but I am pretty sure it is to due with my inner ear. Did your come on quite suddenly and has slowly improved somewhat?

Old 06-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
    bodypain
    (male)

bodypain HB User

You say brain fog... can you be more detailed? I'm having similar symptoms, for example, sometimes the "fog" is so intense I can't concentrate long enough to finish simple tasks. At times my speech is also affected, directly from the brain fog. Also, slow onset of numbness (most in my legs), vision disturbances, & balance/coordination problems. Did this all start at once? Or was it more Gradual? After 7 months of bouncing from Dr. to Dr., test after test, I finally scheduled an appointment with a neurologist. He's highly suspicious of MS. Not to freak you out, but, numbness, brain fog, and vision problems can be serious issues. I would recommend seeing a nuro.

Old 06-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #7
    DianeMarie73

DianeMarie73 HB User

Not to scare anyone but, I've been this way for a few years and after a year or more of testing they found a tumor at the base of my brain (the pituitary). It not as rare as they say.But takes forever to find the answer.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:48 AM   #8
    olia

DianeMarie73,

Why did it take so long to diagnose the tumor? Wouldn't it be revealed during the CT scan? I just did one and they said it was normal...

Old 06-04-2005, 10:46 AM   #9
    DianeMarie73

DianeMarie73 HB User

They don't find them on a ct or mri unless they are looking for them. It has to say pituitary on the script. If it is just a brain scan it will not be found. They are usually very tiny but, cause a lot of trouble. It is a rare condition so you have to push to be tested for it it is cushing's disease. And I don't think it is as rare as they think.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #10
    justmetoo
    (female)

justmetoo HB User

Same as you, I've had chronic dizziness 24/7 for over a year now. My feeling is a drunk feeling very much like how you describe it. The feeling is intensified by computer monitors (went from 2 regular monitors to 1 monitor to flat screen to laptop monitor ) which isn't good since I'm an analyst for a technology company; also intensified by TV and the ultrasound thingy the dentist uses to clean your teeth. I also have the numbness in the face and get episodes of vertigo, about a dozen a day, that last 5 seconds or so.

Again, same as you, I've been through 12 docs and numerous tests and have been diagnosed with everything from MAV to depression. No relief at all, already had to take 8 weeks short term diasbility due to this dizzy monster and it's been very frustrating.

What I know is that I have a) 1 maybe 2 small lesions on my brain but they do not indicate MS b) elevated ANA but doesn't indicate autoimmune disease by itself c) (and just found this out today) narrowing in one of the arteries leading to my brain - this could be a congential defect or caused by disease like Lupus.

I just came from yet another neurologist but I think this guy is determined to figure me out. I've got tests setup for everything from epilepsy to MS and Lupus to see if there's something there. Haven't had my pituitary gland checked specifically but I'll talk to the doc about that at my next appointment.

Guess what I'm trying to say is keep going to doctors, keep checking out websites and forums, don't let the docs tell you it's in your head. I keep copies of all my lab/test results in a binder I take to every doc appointment as well as copies of my numerous MRIs/MRAs/CTs. I keep a record of all the medications I've taken. I've also started keeping a diary of everything I eat as well as excerise and keep a log of how bad my dizziness is for the day (D1 means not so bad - D5 means I'm completely non-functional).

Bring this info to the docs so that they have your complete history. Make sure to see an Neuro-otologist to rule out vestibular issues such as Meniere's, go to an allergist to make sure you don't have food allergies, go to a Neurologist to rule out things like MS, go to a Rhematologist to rule out Lupus and Lyme disease.

Sorry to be so long-winded and I hope that this is what you wanted to hear. I've been through so much, very similar to you, and I know how frustrating it is to not know what to do next or feel like there's nothing else to try. Good thing is that there's always something else to try and there's a doc out there that knows what's wrong with us. (Maybe I've found him already!)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 11-12-2005, 11:31 PM   #11
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi everyone!

I've been 'lurking' but I appreciate all that I read here. Thanks for the responses to my orginal post. I've been feeling very awful and horrible. Apologies for not replying sooner.

I saw many many doctors: infectious disease doctors, ear doctors, neurologists, etc. Am I the only one who is surprised that a diagnosis is so hard to get?

I guess I was naive in thinking that if I went to a doctor with symptoms, I would get a diagnosis then I would get treatment and then I would get better.

I am much more humble now ... LOL.

After months of doctors and tests I did test positive for Lyme disease. I latched onto this diagnosis like a leech! I have been treated for it (mega doses of antibiotics) for about 9 months and I have no improvement yet ... not even the slighest. bummer.

I re-read some of your responses so I made an appt with the University of Penn Balance Center. Yet another road that I hope doesn't turn into a dead end.

I'll let folks know what I find out.

Peace and health to all,
    Mickie

Closed Thread