It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• anyone been on prednisone???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2006, 01:03 AM   #1
    sinnister81
    Inactive
    (male)

sinnister81 HB User
    anyone been on prednisone???

Hi all, I have been having very bad pains in my head that feels like nerves in there are badly swollen. Since I have no insurance, I cant really see a doc right now until my insurance is approved. I have had ct and mri both negative and took the liberty of ordering this drug prednisone from an online pharmacy hoping it would help. I have this head pain every day and I know self treatment is not ideal but I would do anything to help this pain. My mother is also in medicine so she is helping monitor me the plan is to try and releive the pain till I can see a doc. I just received it today and I took 1 10mg pill. It didnt help and Im wondering how long this stuff takes to take effect in the body? Anyone have any experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: anyone been on prednisone???

Prednisone is a very strong and possibly dangerous med if not taken under docs orders. it also suppresses the immune system and should never be taken for long term unless it is bery closely monitored by a doc.there can be many possible complications when anyone is taking this,even in a short term way.i would be very very careful about the dosing of this stuff,really.have you looked this drug up on the net and done any sort of actual research on it and the possible side effects?this is not a med I would ever use to self treat anything.my son has to take this stuff everyday at 5mgs to help supress his immune system to prevent rejection of his transplanted liver.I was so relieved when we finally were able to taper him down to having to only take that 5mgs a day.unfortunetly when he tried to go off of it,he started rejecting and had to go back on it.I hate the fact that he has to have it everyday just because of all of the side effects it has.i really do think you at least need to make an appt with your doc to have your headaches at least evaluated for the cause.your doc would be the one to determine what you should actually be taking.the pred is just so very hard on your body,i would not even go there if you can possibly avoid it.Have you tried using any other OTC meds like advil or aleeve?these would really be more ideally they type of anti inflammitory med that would work much better and be much safer from many standpoints than trying the pred.depending on just what is actually causing your headaches,would determine the best thing to take to try and treat them.Just exactly what do these headaches feel like when they come?any neck tightness or other symptoms besides just the 'pain' itself?any symptoms in other parts of your body?just be very careful.Marcia

Old 01-19-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
    Shadowrider
    (female)

Shadowrider HB User

In terms of paying for a doc, there are ways to get treatment without paying. Go to a clinic that has a sliding scale and will charge you according to your pay...Docs will also take payment if there is a need. Just an idea.

I agree with Marcia!

Shad

Old 01-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
    MissHelen
    (female)

MissHelen HB User

I also have to comment on this medicine. I took it for a long term bronchiatis and asthma. I put on tons of weight, had more infections than I could count. There wasn't anything that I didn't want to eat. I now have diabetes, fragile bones, and all sorts of things. What made you order prednisone. I've never heard of it being used for headaches. I hope you will be able to afford docs soon.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
    sinnister81
    Inactive
    (male)

sinnister81 HB User

hopefully i will have insurance within the next few weeks. I ordere this drug because ct scan and mri are negative and it feels like some nerve in my head is swollen, those side effects u describe really scare me, but can u tell me how long it was taken before u noticed effects?>

Old 01-20-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
    gardenandcats
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

I really feel strongly that you taking prendisone for a headache is not in your best interest.
    why?
    1.Quote from you " I have had ct and mri both negative" Then there is no evidence of any swelling, tumors , abnormal growths.
    2. prendisone is to treat inflamation.Its very very unlikely ! That you have any type of inflammation . As your test results showed none. Thats why you had the test to rule that and other things out.
    3. You are taking a dangerous med unsupervised for a problem that you only guess at. And this is not what is going on. Inflammation.
    4. So you are taking prendisone that has serious long term ill effects for absoultley no reason. Its not going to help your headaches. and it will do long term damage.
    5.Buying any meds online is not safe.Prendisone is a prescription med. You had no prescription so its a crap shot as to what they have even sent you. This in itself is dangerous and foolish on your part.
    5. prendisone is started off at a high dose and tapered down gradually. YOU CAN NOT JUST STOP TAKING IT YOU TAPER DOWN So 10 mg is useless for a starting does.But thats neither here nor there as you do not have inflamation in your brain or nerves.
    You need to see a neurologist. In the meantime take OTC pain meds for your head ache untill you can see a doctor. If the headache worsens or intensifies go to the ER they can not refuse you.

Old 01-21-2006, 06:49 AM   #7
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

if you really do feel that the pain is stemming from inflammation somewhere then just try something like aleeve or plain advil.these are somewhat safer and work wonderfully on inflammitory type of pain.This is what they were made to actually treat,and have much less risks and side effects then any form of pred.long term use can cause some people to develop other problems but very safe to take on a short term basis as you have described.Good luck,hope your ins gets going here soon so you can get an eval by a neurologist.Marcia

Old 01-21-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
    sinnister81
    Inactive
    (male)

sinnister81 HB User

k well I have been to the er and they wont do anything since my ct and mri came back negative. Ive been taking the prednisone for a few days with no releif and since everyone talks about these horrensous side effects I will discontinue it. I cannot see a neurologist because I cant afford one, and I have to wait till my insurance app goes thru. I only ordered this to hopefully get byuntil I could see a doc but this isnt helping. I am in severe pain. Wish I knew what to do.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:58 PM   #9
    gardenandcats
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

Have they suggested that it might migranes?They won't give you any pain meds? Are you taking any OTC meds. Advil,motrin or excedrin?

Closed Thread