It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Lightheaded, Long Story...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
    Lewis68
    (male)

Lewis68 HB User
    Lightheaded, Long Story...

Hi Everyone,

I already posted in Inner Ear Disorders, however I now believe I may have a neurological problem.

Here's my story.

I'm 37yr male.

About a month ago (4/19) I woke up earlier then usual to go to the bathroom, #1. While going I got lightheaded and passed out. I fell and hit my head on the tub. I go to the ER and get 7 stitches. I also get CT scan, EKG, X-Rays, blood tests etc. Everything is normal. The doctor said some men can pass out while urinating in the morning, and that I should sit down. I have passed out before from pain, so I didn't worry about it.

The week after I had weird feelings, of lightheadedness, like I was going to pass out again. I went to the doctor to get my stitches removed a week later. I told him about my lightheadedness, and he said I could have a mild concussion. It went away a few days later, and I felt fine.

Fast-forward to this past Sunday (5/21). I just get finished mowing the lawn. I felt lightheaded, nauseous, weak, like I was ready to pass out. I laid down on the couch for 30 min and felt better. I got up and sat in a chair, and started feeling lightheaded again. I got worried and went to the ER. The doctor checked me out and he thought I could have an inner ear disorder. He recommended I see an ENT, which I seen today on 5/24. However, yesterday I called my doctor and told him the situation. He had me come in to check me out. He said, because it's not Vertigo, it's probably not the inner ear. He referred me to a neurologist. The ENT I seen today said the same thing. I have an appointment with a neurologist next Tuesday (5/30).

I continue to feel lightheaded, almost constaint, except when laying down. I also have ringing in the ears.

I've been reading about Post Concussion Syndrome, and was wondering if this could be it. The weird thing is, I felt fine for a couple weeks.

I was wondering if anyone else has/had the same symptoms, or any suggestions/comments/info.

TIA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2006, 06:58 AM   #2
    Discododi
    Inactive

Discododi HB User
    Re: Lightheaded, Long Story...

Hi Lewis68,
    Have they checked your blood pressure and pulse after these episodes? It sounds like it may have something to do with standing up after lying or sitting. (Orthostatic Hypotension)

Next time you see your doc, see if they can take your BP lying, sitting and standing to check for differences that may be causing this problem.

Best wishes, Dodi

Last edited by Discododi; 05-25-2006 at 07:01 AM.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

I agree that it may be blood pressure.

If you can, check out Neurocardiogenic (Vasovagal) Syncope.

You sound a lot like me, with episodes of lightheadedness, nauseousness, weakness (when standing/standing up); and having every blood and urine test come back "normal". If they can't figure out what it is, ask for the "tilt table" test.

SGH

Old 05-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
    Lewis68
    (male)

Lewis68 HB User

Thanks for the replies.

I have a BP monitor and have checked it, first while sitting then standing. My BP is around 130/75 when sitting, and goes up slightly while standing 130/80.

The thing is, it's constant whether I'm standing or sitting. It seems to get worse the longer I sit or stand. The only time I don't feel it is if I'm laying down.

SuchGreat: Is it constant with you?

Old 05-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

It can be contasnt, but it seems more episodic. When standing up or standing for long periods, it occurs the worst. However, it can happen while sitting down; usually in result of pinching nerves and causing blood pressure to increase or decrease.

Vasovagal Syncope usually never occurs while laying down, so that is why I am leaning towards this. As said, if they can't figure out what may be wrong, I urge the "tilt table" test. Especially after blood pressure tests, urine and blood tests and even heart monitors all come back normal.

Even if it isn't Syncope, I hope you find out what is causing this. Sometimes, the road to a diagnosis is discouraging.

SGH

Closed Thread