It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• It's a struggle to think, write and speak--why?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
    ITH3
    (male)

ITH3 HB User
    It's a struggle to think, write and speak--why?

One day what seems like out of nowhere and all of a sudden my cognitive abilities took a turn for the worse. Three years ago i was validictorian of Cornell University, after the day in question, im having a hard time writing this post. My symptoms are the following: When poeple speak i have an extremely hard time following what they are saying, so much so that often i find myself just nodding my head in agreement with whatever they are saying so they don't know that i really don't have a clue what they are talking about. It's not that i can't hear them, i can. Its that i can't process what they are saying. My ability to speak has been impaired as well. No longer can i think critically and do so quickly which has had a profound impact on my ability to converse with others. When im speaking im not actually thinking or thinking three steps ahead like i used to. When i write, i have to think long and hard about each sentence and it takes what feels like so much more mental energy to get my thoughts down on paper than it used to. Ive seen my primary care physican who did the blood work tests which all came back normal. Then i saw a nuerologist and performed an MRI and EEG--both normal. Then i saw a psychiast because they thought maybe it was depression or anxiety. None of the pills ive taken have worked. Not zoloft, xanax, proponal, depakote, you name it, it hasn't worked. What does help is running. Sometimes i feel better (but not optimum) for a week or so but then all of a sudden i will go into dumby mode again and stay there for a week or so. Does anyone else have these symptoms? Has anyone else had these symptoms and know what to do to stop them. I've been plagued by this for three years now and its killing me. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
    ITH3
    (male)

ITH3 HB User
    Re: It's a struggle to think, write and speak--why?

One more thing i forgot to add. The day i started having these symptons i didn't bang my head or anything. I was just sitting there studying for my lsats. Two other things worth nothing are that i did have headaches for 6 months that wouldn't go away but all of sudden were gone after these other problems set and i used to get sick all the time but now never do...

Old 10-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
    Frankielebunj
    (female)

Frankielebunj HB User

I've been having similiar problems for the past year, progressively getting worse. I'm a student and having great difficulty in accomplishing my work; I've never had problems with my academics before. I sit down at the computer and forget what I'm doing. I read and forget what I'm reading. Sometimes I feel myself blanking out, a phenomenom I can't really describe. As if I'm watching everything from far away, like I'm not really a part of the environment, like everything is being watched through a hazy tunnel. When I talk, sometimes my words get jumbled and I'm afraid I sound stupid to other people. I have to take a speech/debate class next semester and I'm TERRIFIED! I have virtually no short term memory, persistant headaches and flashes of light.
    I went to a psychiatrist for my rapid mood swings, uncontrallable outbursts and deepening depression, but the anti-depressants only made it worse. then they thought it might be ADD, so I'm on Ritalin but I still can't concentrate on ANYTHING.
    I had a head injury last year, so now I myself may have to go through the whole MRI/CT scan to check for brain damage.
    Running releases endorphins. Perhaps you have some sort of chemical imbalance? Have you been checked for possible toxins in the body (I don't know exactly what MRIs and CT scans show).
    I'm curious; have you had psychiatric disturbances? Personality changes, mood swings, any of that?

Old 10-09-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
    mergin
    (male)

mergin HB User

Hi ITH3,

Your symptoms sound very similar to mine - see my yesterday's post "Cognitive impairment". You are not alone, I have had these symptoms for almost seven years. I tried everything that I could think of and nothing helped. The only two things that seem to alleviate my symptoms are
    a) when I work out
    b) when I get sick with a cold, sore throat, or pretty much anything

I would give anything to make the symptoms go away. I wonder if it is indeed just a psychosomatic problem but again, the pills I tried did not help (nor hurt, I did not observe any difference).

Please let me know any theory that you may have on this. I still like to think of this as a problem that can be solved.

Hope you feel better soon,
    Bumbrlik

Old 10-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
    ITH3
    (male)

ITH3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frankielebunj
    I've been having similiar problems for the past year, progressively getting worse. I'm a student and having great difficulty in accomplishing my work; I've never had problems with my academics before. I sit down at the computer and forget what I'm doing. I read and forget what I'm reading. Sometimes I feel myself blanking out, a phenomenom I can't really describe. As if I'm watching everything from far away, like I'm not really a part of the environment, like everything is being watched through a hazy tunnel. When I talk, sometimes my words get jumbled and I'm afraid I sound stupid to other people. I have to take a speech/debate class next semester and I'm TERRIFIED! I have virtually no short term memory, persistant headaches and flashes of light.
    I went to a psychiatrist for my rapid mood swings, uncontrallable outbursts and deepening depression, but the anti-depressants only made it worse. then they thought it might be ADD, so I'm on Ritalin but I still can't concentrate on ANYTHING.
    I had a head injury last year, so now I myself may have to go through the whole MRI/CT scan to check for brain damage.
    Running releases endorphins. Perhaps you have some sort of chemical imbalance? Have you been checked for possible toxins in the body (I don't know exactly what MRIs and CT scans show).
    I'm curious; have you had psychiatric disturbances? Personality changes, mood swings, any of that?
    Hey, ive been discussing this problem now on a different thread. Come to "Cognitive Impairment--pls help."

Old 11-06-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
    CowboyCarpenter
    (male)

CowboyCarpenter HB User

Any one looked into Functional Hypoglycemia? Most MD's will not acknowledge it and say it only happens to Diabetics who take too much insulin. Naturepaths believe that eating too many refined foods cause the body to become insulin resident, i.e. you produce too much insulin which drops your blood sugar fast. Glucose, (converted sugar for energy, function) which the body needs for energy and BRAIN function, is severely diminished when the insulin is over produced. This (low blood sugar)causes anxiety, depression, fatigue (eat a hamburger and fries and after you want to go to sleep or sigh alot) and starves the brain which takes some 25-35 percent. Starving the brain results in Foggy headedness, poor concentration and other symptoms. Google Dr. Paavo Airola. After changing your diet, you will see a change in how you feel. You still need to be checked out by a MD OR ND.

Last edited by CowboyCarpenter; 11-06-2006 at 07:56 PM.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
    sweet_chic
    (female)

sweet_chic HB Usersweet_chic HB User
    Thumbs up Re: It's a struggle to think, write and speak--why?

Oh my gosh! I think I may be hypoglycemic!

All of the symptoms you have just described sound exactly like me! Although I just graduated college this past year, I really feel like I taken a MAJOR decrease in brain function. It's very hard for me to follow people when they're speaking...and I didn't use to have this much trouble!

Also, I am HORRIBLE sometimes at making conversation. Sometimes I'll be trying to think of the simplest word, and I can't even think of the simplest words! It's scary! I feel like such an idiot. Sometimes I even lose my train of thought while I'm speaking. So I'll be talking to someone, and all of a sudden in the middle of the sentence I'll completely stop what I was saying to think of that particular word that I need to say. These aren't SAT words either. These are normal, simple words to objects or adjectives. It's awful.

I'm really getting scared now. I used to think that maybe I had Inattentive-ADD, but now I'm really starting to think it's a blood sugar problem. I crave sugar allll the time! And my cravings have really started to get worse over the past few months. At first I thought I was going crazy! I even felt like I was getting stupider by the moment. But I KNOW I'm not dumb. I've always considered myself pretty smart. But my anxiety, my sugar cravings, and stress levels have increased over the past few years. Even though I would suffer from some panic attacks as a youngster, it was NEVER this bad. To the point where now days, I may get anxious over the silliest things every single day. It is very rare for me to go a day without feeling SOME kind of anxiety/butterflies in my stomach. Not only that, but my brain function, and short-term memory has severly decreased.

Thank you all so much for the information on Hypoglycemia. I am going to check and see if I need to go to the doctor to get some tests done. IN the meantime however, I'm going to check out that Dr's name.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:25 PM   #8
    CowboyCarpenter
    (male)

CowboyCarpenter HB User

After you get your diet under control, it can take up to 12 weeks for you to get back to normal. It took me 10 weeks. But I lost 30lb and feel great. I have not had a soda in 6 months (do not even crave them) and I cut most sugars and especially refined foods from my diet. No Mc D's, wendys etc. Once you swith to complex carbs (not refined- whole wheat (not enriched) REAL food) you will feel alive again. I also take a Spirotien protein shake in the mornings and cal/mag-omega 3 AND digestive enzymes which can help you break down your food better. Good Luck. You still need to have a MD or ND evaluate you..... Do not take the chance. You will be fine.

Last edited by CowboyCarpenter; 11-16-2006 at 11:27 PM.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
    sweet_chic
    (female)

Smile Re: It's a struggle to think, write and speak--why?

Oh wow...12 weeks?? Three months? Wow... :-( Well, I think in the long run it will be worth it.

I have already quit cold turkey starting today. No more needless sugars. I ate eggs for breakfast, salad, chicken, and shrimp for lunch, and I didn't even touch the bread! I didn't help myself to any delicious cookies or any bread rolls (even though they looked tempting). I was starting to feel a little "woozy" (like I needed some sugar) later on in the afternoon, but the feeling came and went.

I still feel a little tired, almost like I need something sweet. But the good thing is, I'm not craving anything sweet. Already I feel different! It's so strange. Even the "clogged up" feeling I usually get in my ears is subsiding a little. WOW!!! Could it be that a LOT of the illnesses and symptoms I've been having for years (unexplained dizziness, anxiety, knee joint pains, trembling/shakes, "stuffy ears", feeling tired, mild insomnia, etc) are really a result of a SUGAR ADDICTION???!! Wow...I'm just learning so much.

Thanks for the information. I will definitely take your advice and go see a doctor...just to be on the safe side.

One last thing...is cutting sugar out cold-turkey a dangerous thing if you've been an addict like me for many years?? I feel like I may be starting to go through withdrawal symptoms. I don't want to black out or pass out here at work or anything! Can it be dangerous to decrease my sugar intake so soon??

I'm not going to quite completely...obviously there are a LOT of foods that contain hidden sugars. However, I am vowing to get rid of needless sugars from candy, cookies, cakes, drinks, alcohol, etc, for about a week, and I'm trying to guage how I feel in about a week. If I feel better after a week, then I may continue to see if I reap anymore benefits! :up:

Also, is it safe to exercise during this "detox" time? I don't want to pass out on the treadmill. lol*

Old 11-18-2006, 11:40 PM   #10
    CowboyCarpenter
    (male)

CowboyCarpenter HB User

Refined sugar is not good. Simple carbs (refined "white" flour, sugar) can not be absorbed by the body. The pancreas sends out extra insulin to help get rid of the junk... You end of storing alot of it as fat. Basicaly, eating crap for food over works the body...After a while your body becomes used to the insulin and you process the blood sugar too fast. Blood sugar drops and then the problems start. Even though natural sugar, i.e. 100% natural juice, friut etc is not bad like refined and Corn syrup, none the less, if your body is fatigued, it will still keep your sytem out of wack. I had to watch my diet very well. I am not a fan of Atkins, but I did do alot of protein via natural Spriotein shakes (very good veggie protein-no sat fats), natural walnuts, pumpkin seeds, etc. It is very important to drink 8-12 glasses of water per day and to eat small meals/snacks every 2 hrs all throughout the day. You just have to monitor your own self and figure what your body is trying to tell you. I now can have an occasional pizza or fast food burger... But I will not touch fries, candy, SODA and I do not miss it at all. After I had been on all 100% natural grain breads, the fakes stuff just tastes awful. We in America have been duped into this toxicity that we eat. I ate fast food 2-3 times a day, 5 days a week for over 5 years. When I quit, I lost 30lb, can hike 8 miles in just under 3 hrs (mountain hikes) and feel alive again. I am not a vegatarian, but only eat meat in small servings now. It is work, but well worth it. Now my wife and I monitor EVERYTHING that goes into our children's tummies! Best Regards.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:11 AM   #11
    sweet_chic
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CowboyCarpenter View Post
    Refined sugar is not good. Simple carbs (refined "white" flour, sugar) can not be absorbed by the body. The pancreas sends out extra insulin to help get rid of the junk... You end of storing alot of it as fat. Basicaly, eating crap for food over works the body...After a while your body becomes used to the insulin and you process the blood sugar too fast. Blood sugar drops and then the problems start. Even though natural sugar, i.e. 100% natural juice, friut etc is not bad like refined and Corn syrup, none the less, if your body is fatigued, it will still keep your sytem out of wack. I had to watch my diet very well. I am not a fan of Atkins, but I did do alot of protein via natural Spriotein shakes (very good veggie protein-no sat fats), natural walnuts, pumpkin seeds, etc. It is very important to drink 8-12 glasses of water per day and to eat small meals/snacks every 2 hrs all throughout the day. You just have to monitor your own self and figure what your body is trying to tell you. I now can have an occasional pizza or fast food burger... But I will not touch fries, candy, SODA and I do not miss it at all. After I had been on all 100% natural grain breads, the fakes stuff just tastes awful. We in America have been duped into this toxicity that we eat. I ate fast food 2-3 times a day, 5 days a week for over 5 years. When I quit, I lost 30lb, can hike 8 miles in just under 3 hrs (mountain hikes) and feel alive again. I am not a vegatarian, but only eat meat in small servings now. It is work, but well worth it. Now my wife and I monitor EVERYTHING that goes into our children's tummies! Best Regards.

Wow! You made a great improvement! I have to admit, I have not been as dilligent with the avoidance of sugars as I said I would be. But just yesterday, I was having a conversation with my younger sister, and I swear...I felt like I had to concentrate HARD just to tell her how I was feeling/my opinion on a matter we were discussing! I'm thinking: "HUH??? What is UP??" IT's getting worse... I don't crave sugar as much as I used to now that I have made somewhat of a conscious effort to stop eating as much sugar. And, I've been exercising more, but still...for some reason I have a hard time understanding people when they're trying to tell me an important task I have to do (at work only), and I seem to "blank out" sometimes when it comes to sharing or voicing my opinions!

It's almost gotten to the point where I won't even say much anymore for the fear that I will blank out and "lose my train of thought" and sound really stupid.

Tell me, has anyone noticed a great improvement in your cognitive abilities since getting rid of extra/refined sugars??

Old 02-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
    ITH3
    (male)

ITH3 HB User
    Smile Re: It's a struggle to think, write and speak--why?

Go to the posting "Cognitive Impairment--please help." There you can read about my progress combating these problems. While i have reduced my sugar intake, the steps i have taken include many other things besides that. Things that have, as far as I can tell, proven very effective. See you over there!

Closed Thread