It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• left side numb, lesion on cervical spine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2007, 01:02 AM   #1
    spanishkisses
    (female)

spanishkisses HB User
    left side numb, lesion on cervical spine

A month ago I noticed that my left foot felt numb. I had a painful frostbite feeling in my toes. After a few days, it got worse, the numbness traveled up the left side of my whole body and up into my torso ending at my shoulder. I then began feeling pain on the left side of my stomach and back when touched especially by cold temperature. I began to panick and went to ER they could not imediatly find anything through blood work or cat scan. They told me to see a Nuerologist, and I did. I had a high contrast mri, more blood work, visual evoked test, lumbar puncture and who knows what else. Nothing was revealed by the lumbar puncture, but I believe through the mri they found a lesion on the center of cervical spine. I was thinking I might have MS and they they said that there was no sign of MS in any of the test and told me that I have to wait and see if a desease surfaces. They also told me, my autoimmune system was kinda high 195 most people have something like 90-100. and I have anemia. These symptoms where the most recent, but in the past I have had a history of depression, extreme dizziness, foggy vision, unclear thinking, and a feeling compared to feeling drunk or drugged. I don't know if these symptoms along with the whole left side of body getting numb are related. I think, I am more concerned with the left side getting numb. Can anyone help me figure out what could be wrong with me. I am very concerned about the lesion on my spine and the numbness that I had been experiencing. I also crack my neck a lot. Could I have given myself a lesion from that. Any info would be great thanks

Last edited by spanishkisses; 01-22-2007 at 01:04 AM. Reason: miss info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: left side numb, lesion on cervical spine

so do you have an actual copy of your MRI report to look at?if not,get one and make sure to keep up on getting all medical recods and copies of all and any testing done on you from here on out.it is just a very good way for anyone to stay on top of things,i have to do this in order to be able to just deal with five seperate major medical probles,alot of them stemming from a spinal cord injury to try and remove a lesion from within my cervical spine.

what did they tell you they think this lesion actually is?are they going to be sending you for surther more definitive testing if they cannot seem to actually tell this?

the most likely culprit would be some sort of a vascular malformation.this is what mine was.i had whats called a cavernous hemangioms insiode my cord.i was actually born with this.you very well could have been too and just not had a clue like i didn't.mie just happened to actually shopw up on an MRI i was having done to try and determine just how bad a herniation was that i knew,just from symptoms,that i had to have had.the cav was just an 'incidental" finding.there are two types of vascular malformations that can osccur within a spinal cord or even the brain.they are the venous fed type(the cavernoma)or the arterial fed version which is abit more danagerous only because it is considered a high pressure lesion.this is called an AVM,or arteriovenous malformation.both of these can bleed but the cav is a bit less dramatic since it isn't under that high pressure from the srteries like an AVM.if you look at your report and see the words "hemosiderin or hemosiderin staining"? this would indicate a vascular malformation that has actually bled some at one point.

there are of course other possible lesions to have in the cord space,but the two i mentioned are really the most likely to actually get within that area.you really DO need to get a copy of that report,along with all records from any treating docs.right now,you need to be seeing an actual neurosurgeon not just a neurologist,quite frankly,unless i need them for actual headaches,a neurologist really just does not have the extensive type of knowledge and experience that you will need here.they just cannot compare to a good knowledgable NS.i have seen plenty of both and would take a neurosurgeon for overall,the best care possible any day over a neuologist,really.you just need the expertise of someone who actually goes into spinal cords for a living,not just looks at them thru films,you know what i mean?

also,given your ongoing symptoms,it wouldn't hurt to also obtain an MRI with contrast of your brain as well as sometimes,these types of malformation can come in multiples but that is pretty rare.but given your symptoms(which could also be stemming just strictly from the c spine lesion alone too)the brain "should' be at least looked at and checked.

i am just wondering why the radiologist was not able to make a determination as to justwhat this lesion actually is?or your neuologist either,i am sure a good neurosugeon would be able to actually tell.there are just certain charachteristics that only certain types of lesions will show.i would think that this would not be a hugely difficult Dx to make forsomeone with actual knowledge and experience.is it possible this doc knows much more than he is telling you?this is one big reason you need to obtain your own copies of all reports and the records from any docs.you can get a much better understanding of just what any docs thoughts really are regarding a condtion just by reading his clinic notes that every doc has to make after every visit.but that report,you really need tosee what it says for yourself.you also need to go to a good neurosurgeon and drop the neurologist soon.there realistically is nothing a neurologist could possibly really do for you.you would benefit much more from the knowledge of an NS over a neurologist.

you just need to know what it is you are actually dealing with here first.when you get your hands on that report,could you just write up what it states about the lesion and where it is actually located wthin the c spine?this would be really helpful.having that lesion,and depending on exactly where it is at within the cord,could explain alot of your ongoing symptoms here for the most part.

just let me know anymore info you find out,K? Marcia

Old 01-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
    IamUnique
    (female)

IamUnique HB User
    Re: left side numb, lesion on cervical spine

You mentioned anemia - what type?
    I was diagnosed with low B12 and suffered numbness in the Right side but it spread to all of my limbs. The numb feeling came and went randomly. I was also told that lesions were a form of permanent nerve damage.

Be sure to follow up with your doctors ask all the questions you want - knowledge is the best medicine.

Good luck

Closed Thread