It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• HELP!! Very Lightheaded/ spacey when standing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
    hope555
    (female)

hope555 HB User
    HELP!! Very Lightheaded/ spacey when standing

Hey all!
    I'm 21, female, univ student (now on summer break). I'm not at all sure if what I have is brain related, but for the past 1.5 months, I've been having the symptoms I'm about to describe. Basically, when I'm standing even for as little as 15-20 min, I start to get very lightheaded, spacey, unreal and faint. It doesn't happen when I just go from sitting to standing, but requires the 15-20 min to develop. Its a fairly predictable thing that happens...rarely do these symptoms not show up when I'm standing for certain periods of time. I also don't feel dizzy or vertigo...just extremely ligtheaded. I have NO headaches. I DO feel slightly heavy in the body, but am not tired (i.e.: don't fall asleep all the time or anything). If I force myself to keep standing past the lightheaded symptoms, I get very faint, and my vision starts to change (like I see stars when I blink my eye). Sitting down definitely helps reduce my symptoms.

At first I thought it was my school related anxiety...however now I'm home, and relaxed to the max, but still getting these symptoms...and only when I'm standing on my feet. I also have allergies and hormone imbalance (PCOS). I've had a full bloodwork, and it showed everything to be perfect, except normal-low iron stores. I've been taking iron pills for about 1 month now, and they really don't seem to be helping. My BP is 110/70 (normal), and my heart rate is normal when I'm on my feet and getting these symptoms. I've always been very energetic and healthy. However, these strange symptoms have really decreased my life quality, and the doctors don't seem to know how to help me.

Does anyone else get these symptoms, and could some people please provide some possible advice? I am very grateful for all those who took the time to read this.

Wishing everyone good health,
    Hope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
    n9ne
    (male)

n9ne HB User
    Re: HELP!! Very Lightheaded/ spacey when standing

Have u had ur ears checked? My head is always feelin weird..sometimes headaches..sometimes just feelin weird..but if u really want to rule out alot of things request for a MRI. I think im going to soon.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
    ode_to_fantasy
    (female)

ode_to_fantasy HB User

Sounds like Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Sydrome, or maybe Neurocardiogenic Syncope?

Old 05-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
    hope555
    (female)

hope555 HB User

Thanks for the replies,
    N9NE: I am going to my allergist soon to get my ears checked...I do have allergies, and maybe there's somthing wrong with my ears that are contributing to the symptoms. thanks for the advice....when you have inner ear probs, do you get these similar symptoms?

Ode_to_fantasy: I have a question...do you know if you can develop Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Sydrome or Neurocardiogenic Syncope out of nowhere? I've *knock on wood* never really fainted before...and have no history of POTS of NS anywhere in my family. So, I don't know if you know more about the diseases, but is it possible to suddenly (over 1 month), develop these disorders? I will definitely ask my GP about these issues too...so thanks.

Sincerely, Hope

Old 05-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
    sueofbrookfield
    (female)

sueofbrookfield HB User

Hi. I live with dizziness 24/7 for the past 19 months. None of my doctors has found the cause yet. I take 1mg of Ativan once or twice a day and that helps a lot. You might want to have an MRI done.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
    n9ne
    (male)

n9ne HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hope555 View Post
    Thanks for the replies,
    N9NE: I am going to my allergist soon to get my ears checked...I do have allergies, and maybe there's somthing wrong with my ears that are contributing to the symptoms. thanks for the advice....when you have inner ear probs, do you get these similar symptoms?

yeah im pretty sure ear infections can cause lightheadedness and dizziness...so that could be a contributing factor..let us know

Old 05-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
    crazygurl6520
    (female)

crazygurl6520 HB User

ok, im a I have had similar symptoms, but they started after I fainted one day about two weeks ago. After that, I had dizzy spells whenever I was standing up for long periods or in a stressfull enviroment. my doctor diagnosed me with neurocardiogenic syncope, and I have been researching this no stop. It seems appear in females from around 20years old. I had to do a tilt table test to find out that this is what I had, and have just started taking medication to try to relive the symptoms.

Closed Thread