It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• severe neck pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
    rabalais72
    (female)

rabalais72 HB User
    severe neck pain

I have had neck pain for five years. I have had one injury to my neck, and one instance of a herniated disk about 4 years ago. My neck pain has come back with a venegence. It causes my head to feel like it weighs 100 hundred pounds, and I have muscle spasms while driving, as if my neck can't hold still. After driving for 45 mins or so, I am out of commision for the next two days. I also have major headaches accompanied by nausea and vomiting, I can't even sleep at night without my prescribed pain pills. I just had an MRI on my c-spine and my brain but no results yet. I'm afraiD it may be neurological. I am weak on my right side, I drop things alot and I also loose my balance. I just get so frustrated because everytime I go to a doctor they chalk it up to be strictly a muscular thingand tell me to go get physical therapy. Which I just cannot accept. I am only 18, and I can't live like this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: severe neck pain

when will you find out the MRI results?this could all be stemming from a c spine issue,espescially if it actually affecting your cord with some level of actual compression or even just intermittant inflammation casued by some types of problems that can just be within the c spine.what exactly do the headaches feel like and are they always one sided or all over or at the base of your skull?what are you actually taking as far as pain meds for the head pain?marcia

Old 01-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
    rabalais72
    (female)

rabalais72 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
    when will you find out the MRI results?this could all be stemming from a c spine issue,espescially if it actually affecting your cord with some level of actual compression or even just intermittant inflammation casued by some types of problems that can just be within the c spine.what exactly do the headaches feel like and are they always one sided or all over or at the base of your skull?what are you actually taking as far as pain meds for the head pain?marcia
    The MRI results are sitting on the kitchen table because my original doctor referred me over to a pain management doctor and she of course is hard to get into. My headaches are in the base of my skull and run up the back of my head. The pain also goes into my shoulders, and on certain occasions has traveled into my lower back and caused my legs to go numb once while in wal-mart just walking around, thank goodness I had a cart to lean on. The pain meds they have me on are: Mobic, Zanaflex, and Ultram, they take the edge off but none of them give me much relief.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
    rabalais72
    (female)

rabalais72 HB User
    neck pain

I should be going to the doctor within the next week to read my MRI, she talked about giving me shots of lidocaine in my neck, I just don't know what to do anymore.

Last edited by rabalais72; 01-15-2008 at 11:14 AM.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: neck pain

since you do have a copy of the rad report could you post what was found in the summary at the very end as the most pertinent issues?does it state anything about cord contact anywhere in there?based on how you described the head pain,does that report state any problems like way up in the c 2-3 area?that area is governed by the c 2-3 (mostly c 2) dermatome,thats why i am asking.marcia

Old 01-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
    goldyfm
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I can relate so well to you. My chief complaint is the never ending burning, aching feeling like my head weighs a ton that runs aceoss my shoulders and down my arms. I had a cervical epidural with moderate relief of pain, but now it is already back after just 6 weeks. I have a congenital fusion of C5-C6 and a herniated disc fusion and plating of those two and C7. I know the pain you are experiencing. I too have a hard time driving and motion causes neck spasms and frequent back of the head headaches. I know I schedule as many doctor's appointments as I can possibly tolerate in one day as I know how out of commission those trips can make you. I sympathize with you. My latest xrays show an anterior spur at c4 as well. I don't know if that is the culprit that has caused the pain to intensify or if it is just the FMS.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
    rabalais72
    (female)

rabalais72 HB User

Hey there,
    Yeah it seriously is ruining my life. I am in college and it is hard for me to make it through an art class without being in horrible pain. My relationship with my boyfriend is suffering because he just doesn't understand that I am in this much pain. I am begging my doctors for some sort of answer but right now I am the mercy of scheduling issues. Like I said I have an appointment next week, actually on Tuesday, so I will be sure to let you know what the outcome is. Until then I suppose I will play the waiting game. But I sure can tell you how nice it is to have someone to relate to and sympathize with. Reading all that you have had done and had to go through scares me. I am so sorry that you have suffered so much pain. I only hope you can obtain relief in the future. Keep me in touch and I will keep you in touch. Thanks so much.
    Ashley

Last edited by rabalais72; 01-16-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Closed Thread