It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Waiting for MRI Results...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
    mamabird10
    (female)

mamabird10 HB User
    Unhappy Waiting for MRI Results...

I had an MRI Wednesday night after several months of increasingly more severe headaches, lightheadedness, etc.

Track back to February. I went to the doctor because I had a numb little toe on my right foot. The doctor did a variety of blood tests, everything came back normal. I was told if the numbness did not go away in a month or if I began experiencing "other neurological symptoms" to come back in right away. In about a week and a half my toe was fine and I thought nothing else of it.

Sometime in March I began having headaches, which is not normal for me. They started off just feeling like I had pressure in my head, nothing too severe. The headaches have become increasingly worse and don't ever really seem to go away.

I have 3 types of headaches that I have identified. The first is the constant nagging headache. It is mild to moderate on the pain scale, and I would explain it as a lot of pressure in my head. The second type is the severe, long-lasting type. They are almost always behind my right ear and they hurt like hell. During these episodes nothing helps, my eyes become bloodshot and my scalp becomes tender to the touch. It hurts to stand, it hurts to sit, it hurts to lie and the regular pain medications do nothing. The pain is like nothing I have ever felt before. It is not a throbbing or pounding, but more of an extreme pressure and stabbing feeling. The third type is the sudden stabbing headache on the left side of my head. These come out of no where and I have been having several per day. They come very suddenly and feel like someone just stabbed a knife in my head. They only last a few seconds, but they are excruciating and leave me doubled over, grabbing my head and moaning most of the time.

I have also had many spells of lightheadedness, which can last from seconds to hours. These spells are usually accompanied by nausea, wavy vision and an inability to focus on anything after they happen.

I went to my general practitioner Wednesday afternoon to talk about my headaches. She asked lots of questions about the type, length, and severity of my symptoms. She did lots of reflex testing, looked thoroughly at my eyes and tested my balance. After reviewing my symptoms and completing her testing she made the following conclusions:

I am not having typical "migraine type symptoms"
    My left pupil is dilated larger than my right
    All the other testing she ran was within "normal range"
    She is concerned that I had two seizures in my teens that did not have a reason
    She is concerned about the sudden onset and increasing severity of my headaches
    Due to all of the above she is concerned there is something else happening on/in my brain

She wanted me to have an MRI as soon as possible and strongly urged me to take the 10:15 PM appointment that was available that night. It really freaked me out that she found it to be such an urgent situation, so I had the MRI Wed night. I am now waiting on results. The imaging lab said they would get results to the doctor in 24-48 hours. In the meantime it looks like I am going to have a very long weekend. I am scared and looking for further insight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
    cindys601
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cindys601 HB User
    Re: Waiting for MRI Results...

Hi~

I read your post and I'd say your doctor is doing the best thing ordering an MRI for you. This will help her rule out alot of things. Try not to worry too much. I know thats easier said than done but we've all been there!!

Try to keep buisy and take your mind off the "what ifs" We tend to think the worste when we wonder whats wrong.

I suffer from severe headaches as well and know how living with that is!! My head is tender to the touch too and i've tried many different medications but nothing works. Standing, sitting or lying down does little for my pain. But what does work for me is I use ice wraps on my head. I put them in various places and switch for colder ones frequently. I look foolish but if it helps, I really don't care. I tell my family that at this point, comfort is more important than beauty!! LOL

The brain can only feel one sensation at a time so if your freezing it, it will feel cold, not pain. Unfortunately, the pain does return when its not cold anymore. Thats why I switch off. With the ice, I'm able to fall asleep and with sleep I get relief.

I hope this is helpful until you can find some other relief!! I wish you luck in your diagnosis!!

If you check out me recent thread Re: For Those In Limbo Please Take A Look, you'll see my story. If I can help in any way, let me know!!

Take Care~ Cindy

Old 05-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
    mamabird10
    (female)

mamabird10 HB User

Thanks for the response Cindy. I will give the ice a try, hopefully it will provide me with some relief.

I developed a pretty severe headache this afternoon. My co-worker watched it happen and was able to tell me what happened with my body as the headache struck. It was one of the sudden stabbing type headaches I explained in my first post. She said the skin under my eyes turned a purplish/gray color, my eyes became very glazed over looking and the skin on my face neck and chest became very flushed. I had three "stabs" that lasted about 20 seconds a piece in a very short amount of time. I developed the chills about 10 minutes after the stabbing pains happened so I went outside to get some warmth and ate a bowl of soup for lunch. Now I am feeling a little better and just experiencing the nagging headache.

Any other insight would be appreciated from anyone with any ideas of what could be going on in my head.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
    brogeen
    (female)

brogeen HB User

Hi,
    I read both your posts, and in one you talk about deep white on the brain.
    I suffer from MS. and it was the deep white matter on the brain that showed i had MS. I also suffer from those stabbing headaches and stabbing pain in my left eye, and had problems with severe migraine like headaches for 17yrs before i was diagnosed.
    I was told at first that the deep white matter was not important and that lots of healthy people have it(Rubbish) i spoke to a radiologist who told me the only reason you'd see deep white matter is if someone has MS.
    So talk to your Dr again, maybe even get a lumbor puncture(their not as bad as people make out) and you'd know once and for all what is causing your problems, because i waited 17yrs for a diagnoses and was so happy when i finally found out what was causing my problems.
    Hope you find out soon, take care.

Closed Thread