It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• high body temperature after chiari malformation surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
    sandylou1
    (female)

sandylou1 HB User
    Smile high body temperature after chiari malformation surgery?

I had surgery for chiari malformaton in 2001. After surgery i have had
    a problem with body temperature. Even in winter i feel like it is 95 degrees inside and outside. Sweating all the time.HELP...........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
    cindys601
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cindys601 HB User
    Re: high body temperature after chiari malformation surgery?

Hi Sandy~

I wish I could offer you advice but I dont know the answer to that one. I'm not decompressed but am always hot as well. When I was in my late 30's, I thought maybe I was beginning menopause early but now I wonder if it's just a chiari thing.

Funny but, I've dealt with the same dealership for many years and when ever I'm in the market for a vehicle, I tell them i'm not picky, the only thing that I'm adamant about is a good AC system. They think I'm crazy

I hope your surgery has helped and you had improvement from it!!Welcome to the boards

Cindy

Old 09-27-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
    Pamela1
    (female)

Pamela1 HB User

Hi Cindy I wanted to thank you for your reply (water on thigh sensation) but the thread is closed. Your condition (chiari) sounds extremely complex and I do wish you all the very best and send you lots of positive vibes and stuff. For me, the weird sensations come and go - no other symptoms really. Although I'm pretty sure that, for whatever reason, these weird sensations may be linked to stress. Have began to notice that when I feel particularly stressed (highly pressurised job, family stuff etc) the weird feelings return. Still I guess I'd rather have weird feelings in the leg as a symptom of stress rather than hitting the gin bottle! Although I'm frequently tempted to give it a try!

All the very best.

Pam

Old 09-27-2008, 12:57 AM   #4
    cindys601
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cindys601 HB User

Hi Pam~

If I had to pick why our body was acting strange, I would definately pick stress myself, than chiari. It definately has many challenges. Thanks for sending along those good vibes, its appreciated

Mine started in my 20's and I was told it was stress. And truly, everytime I was anxious or nervous, it would come out. But I lived a very normal ife until my 40's. Then things changed and I knew it was more than stress.

But one thing I do want to comment on is that stress can create a multitude of problems. So be good to yourself and when the stress is up, walk away. It really is very unhealthy for us and if your already noticing changes in your body from it, thats a signal to slow down. A bottle of gin might be a temporary fix but comes with another set of problems in itself

You take care of yourself and find something in your life to help you relax. A good book always does it for me

Take care

Cindy

Old 09-27-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just one possible thing to consider here espescially post op of any surgery that even goes near the actual spinal cord itself is the possible damage that can just come along for the ride to many different areas of what makes up the cord itself. there are things in the cord that run up to the brain called spinal 'tracts"? these tracts carry all the governing body system info fromthe body to the brain and back and forth. when a particular tract gets damaged in some way it DOES create issues with what area it actually governs. in your case,i am wondering about possible spinothalamic tract damage. i also have this from a surgery that went into my actual cord that damaged alot besides just that one tract. the thalamic tract just carries among other things,the temp regulation system in our bodies. that tract and the thalamus in the brain are what govern our responses to hot and cold and regulate our overall body temps too. you can also have alot or 'perceptionary" types of feelings(like you just "feel" hot but your temp is normal type things?)once your cord has suffered some level of real damage or even trauma to it. my whole entire body systems changed after my spinal cord surgery,believe me,anything is possible to feel or even percieve like it is occuring?

one other thing is possible here to with regards to the sweating? during my sp cord surgery,something very unexpected also happened with damage that i did not even know was possible. my sympathetic nervous system took a huge hit. it actually runs along the outside of both sides of our spinal columns(the sympathetic chain?) but it actually starts within the cord itself and comes out on the sides. considering the type of surgery you had and where it was and what was involved,it is entirely also possible that your SNS took some sort of hit too. sweating is governed by our sympathetic nervous system as well as other things like heart rate and BP sto a certain degree. i am hypotensive with my BPs at times running dangerously low at times. i also suffered with orthostatic hypotension for weeks post op from that sp cord surgery too. this is just one possible area that got some level of real damage or just some how became affected considering that surgery you had done.

i would just do some research on both the spinothalamic tract and also look at just what the sympathetic and the para sympathetic actually governs then compare your symptoms with these functions to see how they compare. my normal body temp now is also exactly one full degree lower from that normal 98.6 that is the norm in most people? it has been like this since my surgery. its just 'my normal" now. but given your ongoing symptoms,and i am sure there are many other things going on in you that you have not yet mentioned here too? you just need to look at these two areas a bit more in depth and see how your body systems now compare to what is governed by them. this is just one possible reason for what you are now feeling. you had a very dangerous and impactful type of surgery that could have just caused some damage to other areas so everything that could be hit needs to be looked at for the possible reason for the symptoms,you know what i mean?

good luck and please keep us posted once you have looked into this stuff i mentioned above. just possible areas of damage that can explain things ya know? Marcia

Old 09-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
    cindys601
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cindys601 HB User

Hi Marcia~

Its so nice to have you with so much knowledge!! You definately taught me quite a bit today.

Have a great day

Cindy

Closed Thread