It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Strange reaction to alcohol?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2008, 01:19 AM   #1
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User
    Strange reaction to alcohol?

I used to be an alcoholic and I could hold my liquor pretty well. Then it got to a certain point where alcohol started to cause bizarre neurological symptoms, even with as little as 2 drinks. (My usual habit was 7 drinks and that didn't cause anything too unusual to happen.)

Maybe this is an important piece of the puzzle. And I have been sober for 2 years now, only drinking occasionally. So my liver is healed (the blood test I took recently showed normal liver enzymes.)

Before, alcohol affected me normally. Now, after just a few drinks, I start seeing things like:

- Eyes start moving on their own, kinda like twitching
    - Foggy vision (my field of vision occasionally blurs, or in more rare occasions, seems to be "cloudy")

- Sensitivity to light
    - Sensitivity to noise
    - Prolonged paranoia
    - Delirious/unpredictable thinking patterns
    - Frequent changes in perception of body temperature
    - Tingling in extremities, along with numbness
    - Manic thoughts
    - Frequent sweating (just one drink makes me sweat; I also sweat at odd times throughout the next day, when sober)
    - Dried out hands/fingers, even after one drink
    - My hands start feeling moist after 2-3 drinks, but when I look at my hands, my hands are dry... (it's like a "fake" sensation)
    - Excessive almost constant need to urinate

I have highlighted the symptoms that are "unique" to this phenomenon. I know in my other thread, you will see a lot of these symptoms. However, the tingling/numbness in extremities is most pronounced when I'm drinking. The same goes for involuntary eye movement--it happens the most when I'm drinking.

Does anyone know of any conditions where alcohol consumption could cause bizarre neurological effects?

Can drinking with an existing B-vitamin deficiency cause this?

Some of these symptoms only happen when I have a drink or two, some of them (if not most) will last into the next day, even beyond any possible hangover period (as if anyone gets hungover from 2-3 drinks?)

Anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2008, 01:28 AM   #2
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User
    Re: Strange reaction to alcohol?

And I would like to add, sometimes caffeine with sugar can cause symptoms like sensitivity to light or "dried out" hands. Sometimes it causes blurred vision as well and other visual oddities. But alcohol is the worst for my "condition"..

I've checked my blood sugar levels when I'm at my most symptomatic and this cannot be diabetes so... what is it?

Old 10-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Strange reactions to alcohol or alcohol intolerance in people who previously had no problems with alcohol, and reactions to sugar, carbs, and caffeine are symptoms seen in patients with Lyme's Disease. Those substances apparently make the condition worse temporarily.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 10-17-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

that IS rather insane to say the least. the only real connection beween the vision issues i know of and alcohol would be at the cerrebellum in the brain. this area is the one that gets affected and "put to sleep" when we drink alcohol. perhaps there is some type of medical issue within that area? but from your wide ranging list of symptoms you have going on,it seriously would be in your best interest to see a good neuologist at this point and explain to him/her what you have explained here. they can do some testing on your brain to see if there is something wrong up there. that would be what i would do in your situation. just getting an MRI/MRA would rule in or out alot of possible issues. you just have ALOT of symptoms when you drink. i think it would be a very very good idea right now to leave the alcohol alone,ya know? the alcohol could be exascerbating what may be going on there ya know? the cerrebellum can govern our vision to a degree and also our gait too,among other things. but this almost sounds like you also have some sort of affect upon the sympathetic nervous system too. you just really do need to see a good neurologist to help better define whats going on. i do wish you luck with this. sorry i couldn't be of more help. you just have ALOT going on,too much to try and really define without some basic level testing. seeing that neuro would be your very best bet right now. please keep me posted as to what you find out about the symptoms. you really have me wondering about this too. good luck, Marcia

Old 10-17-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
    slightlybroken
    (female)

slightlybroken HB User

i have a rather strange thing happen when i drink and it happens with just a few sips. i can tell almost immediately. wondering if maybe you feel it. my sister seems to think im allergic. i dont drink anymore. after a few sips i can feel it in the tops of my arms like around my shoulders and upper arms like an ache. ever felt that?

Old 10-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #6
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

Hi Bill....I agree with Betsheba...You Need To Get Tested For Lyme,okay?Don't wait around anymore trying to figure this out.I think Bethsheba is on to something here.

Take Care~Scout

Old 10-18-2008, 02:01 AM   #7
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scout316 View Post
    Hi Bill....I agree with Betsheba...You Need To Get Tested For Lyme,okay?Don't wait around anymore trying to figure this out.I think Bethsheba is on to something here.

Take Care~Scout
    Have I outstayed my welcome?

Maybe I didn't express things as well as I should have.. some of those symptoms only happen when I go beyond 5 drinks (somewhere around there.)

But yes it seems as if I get weird symptoms even from 2 drinks. Quite weird.

I hope I've not come off as some sort of hypochondriac or something. I actually function pretty well. It's just that some of my symptoms are a major annoyance.

Last edited by Benit; 10-18-2008 at 02:04 AM.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:07 AM   #8
    cindys601
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cindys601 HB User

Hi~

I just wanted to pipe in on fealbads comment. I just love your knowledge of knowing which nerves affect what. I wasn't unaware that alchohol affects the cerrebellum. With Chiari that I have, which is squishing the cerebellum, I find just the opposite of Bills. Alchohol seems to settle my symptoms. But I am one of those people that don't like the "buzz" we get from alchohol so I do it in moderation. Can the achohol affect my symptoms in a positive way?

Bill, hang in there. I know what your going through is very frustrating. I was in your shoes not too long ago, knowing something was wrong but not knowing what it is. We can all offer out opinions but certainly we are not Drs. Self advocate for yourself to see if you can get to the bottom of things.

Take care

Cindy

Old 10-18-2008, 07:19 AM   #9
    robinegg
    (female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill Zenith View Post
    I used to be an alcoholic and I could hold my liquor pretty well. Then it got to a certain point where alcohol started to cause bizarre neurological symptoms, even with as little as 2 drinks. (My usual habit was 7 drinks and that didn't cause anything too unusual to happen.)

Maybe this is an important piece of the puzzle. And I have been sober for 2 years now, only drinking occasionally. So my liver is healed (the blood test I took recently showed normal liver enzymes.)

Before, alcohol affected me normally. Now, after just a few drinks, I start seeing things like:

- Eyes start moving on their own, kinda like twitching
    - Foggy vision (my field of vision occasionally blurs, or in more rare occasions, seems to be "cloudy")

- Sensitivity to light
    - Sensitivity to noise
    - Prolonged paranoia
    - Delirious/unpredictable thinking patterns
    - Frequent changes in perception of body temperature
    - Tingling in extremities, along with numbness
    - Manic thoughts
    - Frequent sweating (just one drink makes me sweat; I also sweat at odd times throughout the next day, when sober)
    - Dried out hands/fingers, even after one drink
    - My hands start feeling moist after 2-3 drinks, but when I look at my hands, my hands are dry... (it's like a "fake" sensation)
    - Excessive almost constant need to urinate

I have highlighted the symptoms that are "unique" to this phenomenon. I know in my other thread, you will see a lot of these symptoms. However, the tingling/numbness in extremities is most pronounced when I'm drinking. The same goes for involuntary eye movement--it happens the most when I'm drinking.

Does anyone know of any conditions where alcohol consumption could cause bizarre neurological effects?

Can drinking with an existing B-vitamin deficiency cause this?

Some of these symptoms only happen when I have a drink or two, some of them (if not most) will last into the next day, even beyond any possible hangover period (as if anyone gets hungover from 2-3 drinks?)

Anyone?
    Hi Bill
    I have posted to you before on another thread I recall you said you take Paxil I think it was (I hope I dont have you mixed up with another) this maybe causing your reaction when you drink ...

Also as I mentioned before you may have a B12 deficiency which is not going to be helped by drinking........I would probably bet you do going by your list of symptoms stated above

Now please dont get me the wrong way we all want to help each other but at some point you are going to have to get some tests as we just cant say exactly what is up as your symptoms are common for a lot of things plus we cant really diagnose you only give our suggestions for you to take on board do you know what I mean...... that may mean testing for lymes, b12 def in the like ....If you do get ablood test for b12 make sure you have not been drinking as for some reason it can make the levels appear larger than they really are..... So it will skew the tests

Cheers
    Good Luck Bill

Old 10-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #10
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hi cindy. while anything is indeed possible,i would think just given the fact that alcohol is a form of anesthetic it could have some positive effects on an area that is giving you symptoms,ya know what i mean? alcohol as you already know,has its most direct impact/effects upon the cerrebellum,it kind of slowly puts it to sleep. that is why people who go into 'black outs' and do not actually remember certain things they did or said,its only becasue the part of the brain was kind of asleep at the wheel so to speak? so it wasn't actively thinking or remembering things. you will never remember a full black out and what occured since your brain never really took it in in the first place kind of thing? everything i have had to try and learn about and understand with regards to neuro crap is only becasue of my completly insane body after spinal cord injury in trying to explain crap,ya know? i also suffered a brain aneurysm a couple years ago too and have heavy c spine deterioration/disc issues. aint life grand? so sorry you are having to deal with that chiari. i don;t know alot about them but what i do know is not good or the least bit 'fun'. these types of problems are not for whimps,thats for sure,lol.

hey bill,just wondering how heavily you used to drink? you could have actually caused a certain level of brain damage to particular areas if this was heavy,constant and ongoing,you know what i mean? but on the other hand,if you are actually on any type of anti D,of the SSRI variety,it could be a big part of the problem too. the SSRIs can have some pretty intense reactions when combined with alcohol too. even after you are done and are not actively drinking? they both affect the brain and effect brain function so combining them could be problematic. staying totally and cmpletely away from alcohol,espescially if you do consider yourself to be an alcoholic,well it kind of tells the story right there ya know? you need to really see what these ongoing symptoms do without having ANY alcohol for like at least one month. but i would still see a neurologist about your symptoms. something just isn;t right there,with or without the alcohol. please keep us posted, Marcia

Old 10-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #11
    cindys601
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cindys601 HB User

Hi Feelbad~

Isn't it just a shame that here we are able to spread our words of wisdom, only because of our bodies failing us? I guess things happen for a reason. You certainly have been through so much but I learn from you with every post. So, though we struggle with our daily battles as the outcome, the good that we have to look at is that we can help others because of it. Your right. We definately aren't wimps, are we!!

The alchohol thing is very interesting though. I am not one to use drugs or alchohol to suppress my pain because of course, this can open up a whole new world of problems. But a couple drinks when the head pain is really bad may be the best medicine. My Dr and I have agreed that using heavy pain meds should be avoided so his advice is to just learn to live with my pain at some level. He is trying to find a cocktail if you may, that will help me manage my pain. Life definately is grande!!

Thanks again for your excellent words of knowledge and I hope you have a great weekend

Cindy

Old 10-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #12
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hello Bill...I apologize for sounding so blunt in my last post to you.You are Welcome here as much as any of us are.

It's very hard to diagnos symptoms when you haven't had many test results to go on.I really sympathize with you on your not having health insurance.You are having a really lot of symptoms and my heart goes out to you as well as to everyone else here.

Okay I've gone thru all your posts from your other thread so let's see if we can go over your symptoms.

Head Pressure(started 4 years ago...very First Symptom)
    (at this time you had bloods drawn and everything was normal)
    (before the Head Pressure started you had had a drug addiction
    (Head Pressure continues to steadily get worse)
    Pressure in left side of neck sometimes
    Eye Floaters
    Lessened Skin Sensitivity
    Double Vision(started 7-8 months ago)
    Eye Muscle Difficulty(worse with head pressure)
    Muscle Spasms
    Stiffness
    Stiff Neck
    Snapping Jaw
    Severe Constipation
    Severe "Gut" Issues
    Pusing,Pulling,Pushing in Lower Torso
    (this makes it feel like something is moving up and down in your back)

Bill this list will make it more easier for other posters to see your symptoms without having to look back at the original thread.Just trying to help here...I Really Do Care!

The only med you take is Paxil 30mg for several years

Symptoms seem to intensify after 2 drinks and after 5 drinks are even worse

First question:Bill do you ever take antacids or anything for your stomach(gut) problems?

When did you last have those blood tests done?

What color are your stools?

Do you have cold intolerance?

Any weakness anywhere in your body?

Any problems swallowing food?

Ringing/buzzing sounds in ears?

Bill...I have to say that "Lyme Disease"is probably a long shot,but you can't rule anythig out,you know?

What I'm seriously thinking is that your B12 level is compromised.I went over your other posts and you know I was in a similar state of mind as you are in right now.I felt like a hypochondriac and was trying to figure out on my own what my symptoms pointed to.I wish there was an OTC test for B12,but there isn't.What I suggest is that you could go to the health food store and purchase sub lingual B12 and start taking it daily....but on the other hand a B12 test,MMA test,folic acid test,homocysteine test would be better.

Maybe you could get a copy of the B12 test you had before?

I hope you know that you are cared about here.Sorry again for being a butt-head....

Please post back.......happy to have you on this board Bill!....take care always~Scout

Old 10-19-2008, 12:06 AM   #13
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

The possibility has been suggested to me before. Perhaps my symptoms are from a "damaged nervous system" from drugs and alcohol?

And let me say I'm not proud to be one of very few, if any, addicts on this board. I have done some incredibly stupid things in my time; what a grand fool I was. I feel bad enough about what I did to myself, with the obvious signs of health risks reoccurring, and continued use despite that. Looks like a candidate for the Darwin awards doesn't it?

But anyhow, all my symptoms occurred after drug addiction started so there is clearly a link there.

But then of course there is the fact that some people can use hard drugs for decades without getting neurological issues. My entire episode of addiction lasted 3-4 years max. I'm not sure it makes sense that my symptoms should get worse in sobriety.. but that's been the case for me.

And I realize you're all telling me to get tested, although it's a bit hard without insurance though. I know you folks can't give me the answers I need. But I still find you all helpful.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #14
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Thanks for posting a condensed list...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scout316 View Post
    First question:Bill do you ever take antacids or anything for your stomach(gut) problems?
    I only take Docusate Calcium (stool softener) for constipation. I don't think there's any reason to think antacids would help the "pulsing" sensation down there, I don't often get heartburn anyway...

Quote:
    When did you last have those blood tests done?
    That was about 6 months ago.

Quote:
    What color are your stools?
    The color appears to be normal. The shape is of great concern though, the stools can appear thin or ribbon-like, flattened, twisted in odd ways. There really is a frequent variance of shape, not much consistency.

Sometimes (and I know this is "nasty") there appears to be bits of undigested food there, either that or some form of discoloration. Sometimes there's red streaks as well.

Quote:
    Do you have cold intolerance?
    I don't seem to tolerate the cold as well as I used to. I noticed this especially in the last two years. My hands just get stiff and frozen-feeling a lot quicker. All in all, "sensation" seems to be a bit off, in general. Sometimes I feel warm when there's no reason to be, also.

Quote:
    Any weakness anywhere in your body?
    I don't know about weakness. There are some days when I have more trouble walking than others, but it doesn't seem to be localized to a specific leg or side of my body. The trouble with walking seems to be more about not feeling the ground as well. This happened today in fact (my symptoms are really bad today) and it freaks me out...

Quote:
    Any problems swallowing food?
    I noticed that a lot 1 year ago. It doesn't seem noticeable as much now, though.

Quote:
    Ringing/buzzing sounds in ears?
    This one has gotten a lot worse lately. It's mostly in my left ear, but sometimes it will switch to the right, or even both at once.

Quote:
    Bill...I have to say that "Lyme Disease"is probably a long shot,but you can't rule anythig out,you know?

What I'm seriously thinking is that your B12 level is compromised.I went over your other posts and you know I was in a similar state of mind as you are in right now.I felt like a hypochondriac and was trying to figure out on my own what my symptoms pointed to.I wish there was an OTC test for B12,but there isn't.What I suggest is that you could go to the health food store and purchase sub lingual B12 and start taking it daily....but on the other hand a B12 test,MMA test,folic acid test,homocysteine test would be better.

Maybe you could get a copy of the B12 test you had before?
    I will try to get a copy of that B12 test. Sublingual methycobalamin is a definite, I will try that soon, and use it daily. Is there another B-vitamin tincture one should take with it?

Old 10-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Bill! The ribboon-like stools(I had that when B12 was real low...I remember thinking I had colon cancer!).The numb in the feet(I had that too and was actually using a cane then,because I was afraid I'd fall!...again that was with low B12!My hands seem to get cold for no reason..it's better now,but I'm going to be getting my ferritin checked again,but it is a common symptom of low B12 and low iron too.The noise in the ears(tinnitus) is something I have also which I've had since being diagnosed with low B12....my dr. thinks I have permanent nerve damage from being deficient for so long before I was diagnosed.As far as weakness goes...I can do things but it's after I do them that I feel the weakness set in....

I hope some other people will respond so you can get some more input on this.Not having enough B12 can put havoc on the CNS and your stomach.Also Bill not to upset you,but one time my dr. sent me for an abdominal ultr-sound,because he heard a pulse in my abdomen and thought it might be an abdominal aneurism....hescared the bejeebies out of me...but it turned out to be nothing....hesaid sometimes thin people have a pulse there....crazy isn't that?

Well that's about it for now.......I have adrs. appointment onthe 23rd this week....hope that goes well,but I'm not getting too optimistic about that!

Take care Bill......keep posting.....hope we all have a good week~Scout

Closed Thread