It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Yet another light-headed person, with abnormal MRI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
    lymphpre
    (male)

lymphpre HB User
    Yet another light-headed person, with abnormal MRI

I have had a rather complicated two years of ill-health, and things are not getting better. Around two years ago, I started sweating a lot and feeling light-headed, with occasional headaches. It was not really a dizzy feeling, but more feeling quite out of it, and at times as though I was going to pass out. Nobody seemed to take this particularly seriously, but as I had hodgkins lymphoma some years ago, I was sent for a CT scan, which showed enlarged lymph nodes in my abdomen. CT of my head was also done, but I was told this was normal. Enlarged lymph nodes were eventually diagnosed as a relapse, and I had 6 months of chemotherapy last year. However, the light-headedness and the sweating did not go away, even though the CT scan showed the lymph nodes had gone back to normal size. Oncology simply said that these symptoms were probably not due to lymphoma, but had no intention of following them up. Added complication, the chemo damaged my lungs, and I am on prednisolone for that.

I then went back to my GP, and asked for the sweating and light-headedness to be looked into, so got a referral to general medicine. Still feeling light-headed all the time, sweating excessively, but now really tired as well. Only new thing to emerge from check-up was bilatreral nystagmus, so was referred for MRI head. Got results today, which showed multiple white matter lesions, which were described as far too numerous for my age (42), and most likely to be a sign of small vessel disease. The report concluded with the phrase "I assume this patient has vascular risk factors".

The only vascular risk factor I have is high cholesterol, which has been diagnosed for a long time, but various doctors have decided not to put me on statins because of the absence of other risk factors (e.g. high BP, diabetes, smoking, drinking etc). I am not sure I buy this explanation. I know what small vessel disease is, and even with high cholesterol, at 42 this seems really unlikely to me. OK, I have noticed that I am definately not as switched on mentally as I used to be, which was something that was really pronounced during chemotherapy: particularly, I often get my words mixed up and make loads of errors when typing. But I have never heard of light-headedness and sweating being associated with small vessel disease.

Not sure how this is going to be followed up either. The general medicine doctor said he will speak to neurology, and send me another appointment. I think he is intending to prescribe a statin, which is probably sensible, but I am not convinced this is just the effect of high cholesterol.

Really rather shocked by all this, as it is the third life-threatening illness within two years.

Any advice/comments much welcome.

Last edited by lymphpre; 02-18-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Re: Yet another light-headed person, with abnormal MRI

I would suggest investigating the possibility of Lyme Disease, which in my opinion, is running rampant in your country.

The light headed dizzy feeling is common among many with Lyme...and the prednisone you've taken suppresses the immune system which means that if you have an undiagnosed bacterial infection, your symptoms may worsen or change. The uncharactoristic white matter found on your MRI is also something that they find in Lyme patients. Cognitive problems are also symptoms of Lyme.

I would encourage you to do an advanced search for Ticker's posts on the Lyme Boards...because chances are, your doctors are not versed on this condition...and their treatments may make it worse.

Again, if you have Lyme, prednisone can make your condition deteriorate rapidly.

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-18-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
    lymphpre
    (male)

lymphpre HB User

I am due to see GP tomorrow for some blood tests and to be prescribed a statin. Over this last week or so, I have been feeling awful. Absolutely exhausted all the time, feeling very weak physically sweating with even the mildest physical activity, and really light-headed all the time. Also had some funny turns, where I feel completely out of it.

I am getting a test for lymes as part of my blood work-up. Just wondering if there is anything else I should do, as I feel I am really going down hill fast and I do not think this is going to be sorted out by something as simple as taking a statin?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:47 AM   #4
    robinegg
    (female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lymphpre View Post
    I am due to see GP tomorrow for some blood tests and to be prescribed a statin. Over this last week or so, I have been feeling awful. Absolutely exhausted all the time, feeling very weak physically sweating with even the mildest physical activity, and really light-headed all the time. Also had some funny turns, where I feel completely out of it.

I am getting a test for lymes as part of my blood work-up. Just wondering if there is anything else I should do, as I feel I am really going down hill fast and I do not think this is going to be sorted out by something as simple as taking a statin?
    Hi
    I am so sorry that you have been through all of this.....
    that alone can takes it toll on one...
    While you are going to get blood tests please ask for the following tests for B12 deficiency and also a Celiac panel...
    B12 serum
    UMMA shows deficiency in normal b12 levels
    Homocysteine (high in deficiency and other conditions)
    Red Cell Folate
    Iron
    CBC

the very best to you........

Cheers

Old 03-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
    lymphpre
    (male)

lymphpre HB User

I have spoken to a neurologist today, to whom I am going to be referred. She has had a look at my MRI, and wants me to have a lumbar puncture. I know the purpose of these, and I know that they are common practise with neurologists. I was wondering if anyone here has had one, and what the experience was like?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
    jujubean7929
    (female)

jujubean7929 HB User

Sorry about your circumstance. I hope all goes well. I have had a lumbar puncture. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be. There was no pain other that than a little with the numbing shot no worse than a blood draw. The only bad part was the pressure feeling made me nauseated, and I was stiff and a little sore for about a week. Good Luck.

Closed Thread