It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• muscle twitches now affecting nerves

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
    muscle twitches now affecting nerves

Hi,

Just recently I have been experiencing muscle twitches. It first started in my legs but has moved progressively to all parts of my body. I also have extreme muscle pain accompanied with rippling of my muscles when I use them. Now I feel like whatever is happening to me is also affecting my nervous system. I have a very low sensitivity to noises, they scare me and make me jump. When I try to sleep at night, I am awakened by muscle jerks all night long. Is this anxiety or what? I have nothing to be anxious about. Could it be hormones, I am 50 year old female maybe going though menopause. I am too scared now to make a doctors appointment. I am afraid it maybe something really bad. I thought perhaps it maybe a magnesium deficiency, but I started a magnesium supplement 2 weeks ago and it is still happening. I have been taking Zocor for about two years and though at first maybe it was the drug, but I quit taking it a month ago and still my symptons persist. Any help out there?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
    Kasey443
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
    Re: muscle twitches now affecting nerves

Hi Missy, I am sorry to hear what you are going through. I cannot offer you any new information but wanted you to know I will be on here when you do find help to visit with you and listen. I am a 51 year old female and have been through alot with my health, neck, back, hypothyroidism, now my hips, and legs. I know how scarey it is to think of going to the doctor to find out what it is. I too hate going, I research alot on here first to try and diagnose myself LOL, then I go! The sooner you go, the better chance you have of getting it resolved. And everybody here is such a huge help, if we don't know what it is or don't have advice, we are here to listen and be here for you. Maybe somebody else will have some advice for you of where to go or what to do. Good luck to you, I hope you get the help you are looking for.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Hi I don't have a diagnosis yet but I may be on to an answer. I have been extemely fatigued, I have fibromyalgia but this is more. I also cramp up all over, shake, jerk, tremble,sweat profusely. and have tingling. I also have unusual multiple brain calcifications and will have another scan in Oct to see if there are any changes. I also have osteroporosis that is getting worse so I was sent to an endoencrinologist. She ordered a 24 hour urine test for calcium even though my blood work was normal. My calcium level came back at 19 when the normal is 50-100. The cause can be parathyroid problems. So checking that out I read it can cause cramping, nerve problems and even brain calcifications. If I am not getting the calcium it is being drawn from my bones causing osteroporosis. I haven't talked to my dr yet nor have I had the parathyroid tested yet, but to think this might be the cause of the cramping and twitches is so exciting. Hope that helps ya some in an area to check out.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi everyone.

Thanks so much for all your support. I never knew that thyroid issues could cause such problems. I am going to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Good luck to you all.

Missy

Old 08-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

hi missy & everyone

I too had almost constant muscle twitching and muscle pain/cramping for 2 years.I am post-menopausal now and my twitching/muscle pain/muscle fatigue has gone....finally.The only thing that seemed to make sense to me was y ferritin was at the low end range(11)then it went up to about 70,but I still had sx.....After my sx resolved my ferritin was at 92.

You've probably heard about RLS(restless legs syndrome and how they say it's from low iron/ferritin.Well I think that might just be true.Plus I am almost same age as you and I have been getting B12 shots every month since Feb.'07.If your B12 level is under 450 you should ask your dr. if you can have the B12 shots.Or you may try the sub~lingual methyl B12...it is very beneficial.

I also noticed that diet has a lot to do with your body at our age.Dairy seemed to aggravate the twitches(I mostly had them in my calves,ankles,feet,hands and sometimes my back).

Hope this helps you a bit.

Scout~

Old 08-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

Also the sound sensitivity can be attributed to low B12.

Scout~

Closed Thread