It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Dizziness and neck ache

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2009, 04:45 AM   #1
    luisita
    (female)

luisita HB User
    Dizziness and neck ache

Hi

I wonder if anyone could help me with the following problem. Last March 08 my world started to turn and i became more and more dizzy. I had all the tests etc and the doctor said there was nothing wrong with my ear. I went to see a vestibular therapist who helped me get a bit better but it was this July i noticed that my dizziness was getting worse. The therapist said that it could only be my neck that was causing the problem, she examined it and said that it was very tense at the base of the skull and told me to put a heat pad on 5 times a say and do some stretches, i have been doing these for 4 weeks and my neck still aches. She says that i have a build up of muscle tension in my neck and this is causing a loss in propriocepition. Could this be possible and would it just turn like that one day, my vertigo is worse now than what it as ever been. How long should it take for my neck to feel better?

Louise

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
    Kasey443
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
    Re: Dizziness and neck ache

Hi, I dealt with this symptom myself and when the muscles in your neck are the cause, heat packs do not do much at all. I would suggest going to a physical therapist who knows how to do soft tissue massage. When your muscles are tensed up this much, they are in a knot, and these knots press on the blood vessels going to the brain, in turn affecting the oxygen and blood flow to the brain causing the dizzy spells. A therapist will be able to pinpoint your problem areas and work on them to get the knots out and releasing the pressure. Exercises can actually make the problem worse because you are stretching muscles that are already tense, then when you are done stretching them ( overuse of them is what usually caused it in the first place ), they tighten back up even more. Exercises usually help only when the knots are gone and this is to keep it from coming back. Good luck to you

Closed Thread