It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Concussion After Effects?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
    Liz419
    (female)

Liz419 HB User
    Concussion After Effects?

I am a 19 year old female and I got hit playing hockey this summer. Wasnt a huge hit, just got taken down cutting to the net, and hit the back of my head right below where the helmet ends.
    I don't think I got knocked out but it all kinda seems fuzzy. I instantly got an intense exploding feeling in my head. After the game, I became extremely dizzy, wasn't able to drive my car home and soon after felt very sick to my stomach. I went to work for the next couple days however by the end of the 3rd day I decided to go see a doctor.. the doctor rubbed it off as a minnor concussion and told me I would be good to play hockey the following week so I did. After that everything went downhil very quickly and about 2 weeks afte the initial incident, I found myself back at the doctor complaining about an unimaginable exploding headache and extreme dizziness. At this point I was getting a very shocking pain at the base of my skull that would go up and down the top part of my spine. Ct scan came back clear so doctors were not worried.
    It has been over 4 months now and I am overwhelmed with intense symptoms that are just getting progressively worse. I am in 2nd year unviersity right now so I am spending the majority of my time studying. However, I have a constant headache.. although unlike a regular headache it just seems as though my brain is sloshing around my skull.. and I get a really werid feeling almost as though I am drunk all the time. Most of my pain in concentrated right below the skull at the back of my head. I am having more and more trouble walking on a daily basis and find myself tripping up and down stairs multiple times a day. I feel extremely uncordinated doing simple tasks mostly those that involve leg movements. Trying to move my legs or arms to avoid hitting things is becoming very difficult. Being extremely athletic all my life, this is a drastic change. I feel unsafe driving my car because of this werid intoxicating feeling in my head. This feeling is really difficult to explain but I know that it should not feel like this. Some days I will get so dizzy to the point where I feel very nauseous.
    Walking up stairs at school, I will get to the top and if I were to close my eyes I would completely fall over. Just feels like EXTREME light headedness.
    I am also having trouble with my sight, having troubles focusing on moving objects or when I look up from looking down, it takes me significantly longer to figure out what I am looking at. As well, after activity, I get this really werid symtom of not being able to tell 2d and 3d. ex. I was looking at my ipod after the gym the other day and I could not distinguish between the floor and the surface of my ipod.
    I have heard about post concussion syndrome and I have many of the symptoms such a difficulty focusing, and depression but the major symptoms I am feeling a far my debilitating than these. Werid feeling in the back of my head is there constantly; hasn't been gone for one hour in the last 4 months.
    It just seems that no doctor will listen to me. I am 19 years old and otherwise completely healthy.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you so much for any help, I am desperate and getting very worried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
    Ramejkisp
    (male)

Ramejkisp HB User
    Re: Concussion After Effects?

This might sound crazy because it was in 2001 when I had a bad bang to the head. It's now 2009, but i'm convinced it's affected me, although I've never been to the doctors(for this reason). Me and my friend were drunk - pretending to fight and messing round, he jumped at me and I fell backwards, hitting my head on the floor at the back - on solid concrete. I was out cold for a few minutes. My sister turned up and insisted I go the hospital - because according to her, i was looking right through everyone. I told everyone I was fine, but I was aggressive - against my nature! Since then I've genuinely felt different - depressed and so on. Before this happened I'd held a job down for a year without being off sick - Then things went downhill. I quit my job. Then i ended up on Seroxat for anxiety and depression, then tried to kill myself in 2003. Since then I feel like a different person, but I remember the way I was - pre - accident - and it tortures me. Its 8 years now......... I cant tell anyone this in person. I'm a proud man. I'd be grateful for advise. thanks

Last edited by Ramejkisp; 11-04-2009 at 02:57 AM.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 AM   #3
    Ramejkisp
    (male)

Ramejkisp HB User

I don't know if your American or English, but if i was you i'd keep on seeking different advise from different doctors. your symptoms sound more physical than mine(look below) - dont underestimate the damage a bang to the head can do. the brain is a delicate organ! good luck

Old 11-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
    pcssucks
    (male)

pcssucks HB User

Hit back of head 13 days ago today. Tried to sleep that night but woke up in tons of pain with eyes dilated. Went to er and had CT scan and labs which were clear. 3 days later my head pain got worse and spread all over my head and neck. I started to have a hard time concentrating and got very agitated. The dr just game me pain meds and Xanax. It's almost two weeks and and I'm just not myself. I have feelings like I'm drunk and i have little patience for things. My pain almost never leaves. I have read about P.C.S. and it looks like I have this. I read reports this can last for years ;(

Old 12-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
    Anneteaem
    (female)

Anneteaem HB User

Definately sounds like post concussion syndrome and alsocalled tbi (traumatic brain injury). I fell, almost 1 year ago and have been suffering with very similar symptoms and have been searching everywhere for help. (tripped on a heaved sidewalk and slammed the right side of my face around my eye - temporal lobe into the concrete). I've been diagnosed with both. Finally found a physiatrist (dr. that treats the whole body) that specializes in brain injury - your larger hospitals might have dr.s like this - I'm at U of Penn in Philadelphia. Both speech (for cognitive issues) and Physical therapys were prescribed along with complete rest. All of the above were beneficial however the headache/vision piece still is an issue. Now that I'm back to work(I took 12 weeks off) it's getting worse so...my new physiatrist (old one moved to New Zealand...lucky her) noticed that my eyes don't track properly...sent me to see a neuro-opthalmoligist. I just had my appt. with one yesterday and was told I have "convergence insufficiency" which means the eyes don't regulate properly... therefore the reading/driving/comprehension/headache issues. DUH! Have done some research on syntonic photo therapy and also the use of prisms in eyeglasses. I know there are behavioral optomotrists that can do convergence therapy to correct these issues. The neuro guy was not helpful with alternative methods (I've found that most medical dr.s, if they cant' cut it out want to medicate everything. Being extremely hypersensitive to most drugs, Im open for any alternative therapies that will help) I also believe that they do not understand the desperation we all have wanting to just be whole again. The side effects of the drugs somethimes are worse that the issues so it's important to find someone that you trust (that has your back as my husband says)to be your advocate because the dr.s are not. Also, EMT has been beneficial for me...a bit different but what the hey...if it helps right?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
    Headcase64
    (female)

Headcase64 HB User

I hit the back of my head on concrete as well. That was back in May, it took months to feel somewhat better, I went away on a plane and the symtoms have come back the same again. I have been to a neurologist and have had inner ear testing. I don't have results yet. However, look into inner ear issues. I have been searching for answers, but at least that will get you started.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
    biminia
    (female)

biminia HB User

I am in my 8th year post TBI. I was rear ended by a Mack truck. There are remedies for pain, a variety of medications with positive effect, physical therapy to learn to walk again, exercises, tricks to cope with balance problems, behavioral optometry to train visual acuity, prizms to correct divergence, memory games to exercise the mind and so on. But the most help I received came from support groups where others taught me how to compensate.
    I remember little from the first couple of years. What sticks to my memory the most, was my doctors unwillingness to acknowledge that damage to the brain is physical, permanent and cumulative. It felt to me as if there was a widespread belief that denial was supposed to have some positive effect. Eventually I had a consultation with a neurologist who told me that there is nothing any doctor can do to fix my brain, recovery is up to me. I am thankful for his courage and felt relief to hear him say what I knew in my core. The brain heals by building new pathways, there is no limit of improvement. Recovery is really up to me.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
    nayxwasxhere
    (female)

nayxwasxhere HB User

2/15/2010
    I'm 16 years old and
    A couple months ago in October, I was with my family at deer field fair. My cousin, sister, and I all went on the ride called the zipper. The 5th time i went on it, I smashed my head on the metal bar and blacked out. I was getting nauseous, but I went on again---stupid me. So by the time the ride ended, i couldnt get up. I lost all the feeling in my entire body. My hands were in rigor, and i couldnt move at all. I was taken by the paramedics and they asked me if i had hit my head....i said no,and they said i had a panic attack. the next day i went to the doctors and remebered that i had hit my head. the doctor said that i had a concussion.
    Well, it's been like 4 months since and today my i felt like i was gonna barf in my 1st period class but then it went away. It was towards the end of my second peroid class that I started to feel really nauseus. By the time i got to my locker, it felt like someone was hitting me in the head over and over again with a hammer. this went on for i dont know...an hour and a half of non-stop constant head pain.
    my stepdad brought me home and i wass wondering what was wrong with me. Everything has been fine since then, but right now i feel like i'm gonna barf and my head still continues to hurt. I went on freeMD and apparently I have a Subarachnoid hemmorhage.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
    biminia
    (female)

biminia HB User

Hi there, sorry this happened to you.
    Only a doctor can tell you what causes you to feel sick and why you are having headaches. Try not to selfdiagnose with what you read on the internet, it can cause more anxiety.
    I suggest you call your doctor, like NOW.

It was not the paramedics place to diagnose you, also they can't rely on what a person tells them who had a possible concussion.
    You may not know if you hit your head or not, how would you know what happened when you passed out. I didn't know what happened to me, I had a completely false memory, didn't even believe what witnesses told me.

Drinking alcohol, drugs, lack of sleep can make symptoms of concussion worse. Try to take it easy for a while. Call your doctor to make sure you are allright.

Last edited by biminia; 02-16-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey liz, i just bumped up your other post you made here on this same subject a couple weeks ago? do you remeber actually posting it? it should show up like right under this post after i get done here. marcia

Closed Thread