It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Success Rate for Shunt Surgery in Older Women

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
    HolmesSPH
    (male)

HolmesSPH HB User
    Success Rate for Shunt Surgery in Older Women

My mother has been diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri. Currently, she has a prescription to bring down the pressure from excess CSF, and it's helping a small amount. They started her on this medicine in July (2009) and it hasn't helped as much as they thought it would.

So to combat the pressure she has to go get a spinal tap every two weeks.

She was told her success rate (success being that she doesn't die) is around 50%. I assume it would be a tube shunt perhaps a shunt but not a VP shunt because there isn't blockage in her ventricles.

Can anyone give me data, reports, studies that give success rates? She is 50 years old this year, and stronger then an ox. She's slightly overweight, but not obese. She's very active but this has been hard on her.

But 50% chance doesn't sound likely to me, considering 98% of all VP shunting is successful with a small rate of follow up procedures.

Thanks in advanced!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
    kelli65
    (female)

kelli65 HB User
    Re: Success Rate for Shunt Surgery in Older Women

i am 45 and i just got my spinal tap two days ago and waiting for my f/u with my neurologist. i have been dealing with this for over 19 long months. i have had to quit my job and rely in so many people it sickens me. i am a strong woman, and this has brought me almost down .i am on here trying to get answers and people to talk to. thank you , kelli65

Old 04-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
    lgraber72
    (female)

lgraber72 HB User
    Re: Success Rate for Shunt Surgery in Older Women

hello my name is lisa and im new to this site, i read ur story and im going throught the same thing although i'm not 50 i am 38. and i found out 2 weeks ago i had water on the brain or inflamation, i was told i had alot of mini strokes ans i may have MS but i am nervis and scared to have the surgery done until i hear from enough people that have lived and are having a normal life. how long was her recovery from the surgery and were there any complications?... please reply ty and again i am sorry to herar that ur mother went through it. i know you were all worried about her, hope she is doing ok now and doing the thing that she loves to do

Closed Thread