It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Doc thinks maybe viral encephalitis... Any opinions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
    katyhilton
    (female)

katyhilton HB User
    Doc thinks maybe viral encephalitis... Any opinions?

My GP thinks I might have mild viral encephalitis. I dunno... Made appt with neurologist for Friday but this is driving me crazy!

Christmas... My two kids, husband and I all very sick with nasty cold for 4/5 days... Cold clears up and I feel good Jan 1... Jan 2 I start feeling tired. Decide I need rest... So I rested up.

Jan 3-5...Tiredness becomes more extreme. I can't stay awake even with adequate sleep. I feel a bit sad. I don't want to move around. Stimulants seem to have zero effect. I fall asleep in drive-thru. Minor body aches.

Jan 6-7... More irritable. I tweaked out and quit my job (2week notice) out of the blue. Tiredness very out of hand. Falling asleep everywhere. Confused, paranoid. Start thinking I am being poisoned... Or toxic gasses in my home. Threw away food/medicines because I thought they were tainted.

Jan 8-9... Sleeping spells become more comatose. muscles all stiff, ache. Visual disturbances. Clinic prescribed me cipro and tamiflu. Started meds... Started seriously going downhill taking meds. After 5 doses thought I was gonna die. Throat, face swelling. Panic state. Went to ER ... Appeared intoxicated and got treated like an Junkie that just ODed on meth... Couldn't speak (very slurred). Nicer to me after reading my toxicology report. Pumped me full of fluids... Sent me home and I felt kinda better. Told me it was adverse drug reaction. So stopped cipro and tamiflu

Jan 10/11 Feel like half in a coma all day. Slurred speach. Crying. Wishing I would die. Ignoring my kids, more hallucinations. Lingering weird feeling in back of my throat.

Jan 12. Went to my regular GP. He prescribed me large dose of steroids. Went home... Took them at 6pm expecting no results... and felt 100% better in 30 minutes. Fatigue gone but most profound... My head cleared up. I felt like I woke from a bad dream. Not depressed. Can't recall half of what happened very well last 9 days. So I get all happy thinking I am cured. Went to bed fine with clear head.

Jan 13- woke up feeling great. Got my kids breakfast early. Apologized for being sick. Googled the name of steroid. Saw it was alo effective in reducing swelling in brain or fluid on brain. Went back to doc who prescribed it and he said "hmmm... Maybe mild viral encephalitis. Keep on the steroids and let it run it's course. Went to psychiatrist appt I made since I though I had a nervous breakdown since Husband was on the verge of having me committed. He said I should see neurologist because GP not equipped to properly diagnose such a thing. Right after I left... 11am felt weakness coming... Blank stare. Hard to talk. Sound drunk. Took more steroids even tho it wasn't time yet... Brain swelling idea scared me. Felt better but around 4:00... Started experiencing uncontrollable movements in spine. I was twisting around for about two or three hours... Then it stopped. My spine hurts. Busted into some hydrocodone and ibuprofen. Helped a bit. pain reminded me of iv I had stuck in my spine for c-section. Very nerve-feeling. Made appt with neurologist. Been feeling "drunk" but decent mood since 9pm. Decided to hold off on steroids until about an hour before I drive kids to school so that I CAN. But my spine is feeling so weird I can't sleep.

Note... I have had no headache this whole tine and a lowgrade fever on/off. I have no history of psychosis. I take add meds (40mg vyvanse) but stopped during most this time since I got paranoid and had the flushing fit. I don't ever take naps during the day. I am 35 years old. I have never experienced something like this before. Not even when I used to smoke pot 15 years ago!

Ack! Any comments, ideas, suggestions, anything?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
    SandieRC
    (female)

SandieRC HB User
    Re: Doc thinks maybe viral encephalitis... Any opinions?

How weird! I am experiencing something similar, I have a headache though, neck hurts, dizzy, don't feel like I am drunk but I get confused and can't remember things. I also was sick with upper respiratory infection. Did you go to Neuro yet?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
    SandieRC
    (female)

SandieRC HB User

Oh, one of my eyes looks funny too, it is kind of bulging

Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
    katyhilton
    (female)

katyhilton HB User

Resolved... After three weeks of hell. I was having a reaction to my regular, prescribed dosage of vyvanse that was potentially leathal. Apparently this can happen with any stimulant (amphetamine-based) drug... And I was only taking 40mg per day... The symptoms got scary worse after I posted this. The hyperreflexia got way out of hand. I was misdiagnosed over and over. Scary scary stuff. Done with ADD medicines. Seriously... I went so psyco I could have killed myself or someone else. I lost my good job. I have a ton of medical bills now... Lost insurance for myself and kids. And I can't seem to locate a lawyer willing to help. Frekkin nightmare! Don't take that stuff people. It seemed like a miracle drug for 16 months and then turned on me in a bad bad way!!!! If this happens to you, stop stimulant meds immediately, take benzodiazapine if you have it and get to an ER and have them detox you. Sigh... Now on to rebuilding my life.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
    hothead
    (male)

hothead HB User

Hi Katyhilton, I have been diagnosed with viral encephalitis and your symptoms are very familiar. Did they diagnose eventually and have you overcome it with the steroids? Read my hothead story and please reply.

Closed Thread