It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Astrocytoma Latest MRI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
    AmyRenee
    (female)

AmyRenee HB User
    Question Astrocytoma Latest MRI

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone here can understand my latest MRI? I had/have an inoperable astrocytoma tumor that was found about 7 years ago, & after the biopsy i had 7 weeks of radiation that shrunk the tumor considerably. So far the tumor hasn't grown any since, but my latest MRI shows something that has progressed slowly in the area of the biopsy's burr hole in the past year & a half (2 MRI's). Could this be scar tissue? Or something else? Also, where/when they did the biopsy, i had a small dent, well it was small at first but now it is a more pronounced area/dent at the top of my head that i can't understand why it's size increased. Sometimes the dent area swells & you can't even see it anymore for several hours, then it goes back. Could this be fluid? Another thing that bothers me is another smaller dent on the top right side of my head. I was told that this was from where they clamped my head before the operation? Wouldn't there be more than one spot/scar if that were true? The reason this concerns me is because on my past couple of MRI's a "small right mastoid effusion" is seen. From what i've read online a mastoid effusion is caused by craniotomy. removal of skull. If that's true why is it showing that on my MRI on the right side? I had no biopsy there. At least not to my knowledge. I'm so frustrated, i've been bounced around to so many different doctors over the past couple of years i still don't really know what's going on. One doctor tells me one thing, then another is totally different. They told me my hair would grow back & it never did. I was never offered any support groups or anything. Any input from anyone here would be appreciated! Here is my MRI: with & without contrast.... Findings: Low lying right cerebellar tonsil is unchanged, descending 0.5 cm below the level of the foramen magnum. No significant mass-effect on the cervicomedullary junction. Paranasal sinuses are clear. Globes and orbits are unremarkable. Small right mastiod effusion. Major intracranial vascular structures exhibit normal flow-related signal. Developmental venous anomaly in the left cerebellar hemisphere. Prominent medullary vein in the right parietal lobe.
    Left parietal burr hole. Stable biopsy defect in the underlying left precentral gyrus. However, the abnormal T2/FLAIR hyperintense signal surrounding the biopsy defect in the posterior left frontal lobe is slightly more prominent. Remaining foci of irregular T2/flair hyperintense signal in the white matter of the left frontal lobe and callosal body, the white matter of the right frontal lobe and callosal body, and the subcortical white matter of the right parietal lobe are unchanged. No new, abnormal enhancement in these regions. More punctate and patchy T2/flair hyperintense signal scattered throughout the bihemispheric white matter is essentially stable. No hemmorage, herniation, hydrocephalus, acute infarct, abnormal enhancement, or abnormal extra-axial fluid collection.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Impression: (1) Left parietal burr hole. Underlying the biopsy defect in the left precentral gyrus is unchanged; however, the abnormal T2/Flair hyperintense signal surrounding this defect in the posterior left frontal lobe has progressed slowly over the prior two examinations ( a time period of 1.5 years). No abnormal enhancement in this region. This finding is concerning for slow progression of neoplasm.
    (2) Additional foci of nonenhancing T2/flair hyperintense signal in bilateral frontal lobes and the right parietal lobe are unchanged.
    (3) More patchy and ill-defined T2/flair hyperintense signal scattered throughout the bihemispheric white matter may represent a treatment related effect but is unchanged.
    (4) Stable low lying right cerebellar tonsil.
    (5) Query small right mastoid effusion.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can anyone here help me understand this using non medical terms? Thanks, Renee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread