It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Arachnoid cyst Perth

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
    Semaphor
    (female)

Semaphor HB User
    Unhappy Arachnoid cyst Perth

I have recently been diagnosed with an arachnoid cyst on my medulla and cerebellum after an MRI. I have had headache, pins and needles and weakness in my left hand and foot, back pain, constant ringing in my ears and dizziness. I am exhausted much of the time.
    I was admitted to hospital but when the doctor finally came to see me he said it wasn't the cyst and that it must be stress and anxiety. Well losing the use of my left leg certainly was causing me anxiety, but not the other way round! From researching online it seems many people have trouble with doctors who tell them that their cysts are asymptomatic despite the symptoms they are experiencing. Is there anyone out there with an arachnoid cyst who lives in Perth Western Australia? Can anyone recommend a neurologist who won't treat
    me like I am a liar or a hypochondriac? I am getting sick of doctors who are rude and disrespectful and dismissive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
    amina6
    (female)

amina6 HB User
    Re: Arachnoid cyst Perth

I have just experienced the exact same thing. I went to a neurologist in April with a number of symptoms, a brain MRI was ordered, and an Anachroid cyst was the only finding.

The neurologist referred me to a neurosurgeon for follow-up. I've sought out three opinions. Two of the neurosurgeons conclude that the cyst cannot be causing my symptoms, and therefore tingling, numbness, tremors, ataxia, dizziness and hyperreflexia are due to stress. (Say what????!!!! I agree that stress comes WITH such a diagnosis, not before it!)

The other surgeon saw me on a morning when my symptoms were more pronounced, and concluded the cyst should be removed.

Naturally I'm concerned about surgery if the prevailing opinion is that the cyst is an incidental finding. I've decided for now to go with the surgeon who suggested a wait-and-see approach of taking vitamin B6 with magnesium and doing a follow-up MRI in 4 months.

In the meantime, I'm apparently among the lucky ones, in that I already know a surgeon willing to remove the cyst should my symptoms get worse.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
    neciae1
    (female)

neciae1 HB User

HELP! I am having severe pain in the same place, left side cerebellum. Stress has been the fall guy for over a year now and the pain is EVERY day. Worse in the morning and middle of the night. Iíve tried Excetrin, Motrin 800, Ultracet, Darvcet, Percocet, hot packs and ice packs. Nothing helps. Iíve had a scan of my carotid artery, and blood tests for infection but no diagnoses. No doctor has suggested a brain scan or MRI. As a patient can I request an MRI? Could it be a cyst? At times there seems to be a knot or lump or swelling in the area, but maybe itís just my desperation getting the best of me. I canít live with this pain much longer. Anyone out there that has experienced anything similar?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #4
    4d4
    (male)

4d4 HB User

16 yr old with hemiplegic complex migraine in April 2010 still experiencing persistent headache with vision loss, tingling sensations, etc. Recent MRI report notes arachnoid cyst that was not discussed prior. Based on medical history, this is the only medical clue we have but neurologists term it "of no clinical significance." We are as persistent as headache and have arranged trip to Mayo Clinic in January 2011.

Closed Thread