It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Uneven Pupils..scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
    brettaph
    (male)

brettaph HB User
    Unhappy Uneven Pupils..scared

First off, I do suffer from Anxiety Disorder. (Diagnosed 2 weeks ago).

I also am at the tail end of a somewhat severe sinus infection. (I never had any drainage from the nose, just down the back of my throat.)

What I am worried about is that now my left pupil is smaller than the right pupil. I went to the ER and he said that they were, in fact, slightly different sizes. However, the night before (and once more a few days earlier) the difference was VERY noticeable. The right pupil was at least double the left pupil, but they both responded to light the way they should. Both times this happened after I had falling asleep watching TV in a dark room. (Both times i had spent time laying on the left side of my head.)

The ER doc checked my eyes in regular light and said that they both dilated fine. Then he checked them with the lights off so he could see if there was a tumor or lesion causing the difference. He told me that everything looked fine and that it was just the pressure of the remaining sinus infection putting pressure around the eye. He then had me take a vision test (the one with the chart on the wall where you cover your eyes one at a time.) The nurse was surprised at how well I was able to read the lines. (I read all but the last line.)

Despite this, I am still scared. I do have anxiety (almost always medically related; I've diagnosed myself with MANY disorders and diseases in the last two weeks.)

I don't have any headaches or noticeable vision problems. My left eye just feels 'weird'. I don't have a better word for it. It's not a distinct pressure or pain, just an over-all weird feeling. When I wake up, the pupil difference is more distinct, but normally, as the day goes on it goes back to 'normal.'

Any ideas??....and please don't just answer with a scary condition if you have nothing to back it up with...I get very scared and go into panic attacks very easily. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
    Anne75123
    (female)

Anne75123 HB User
    Re: Uneven Pupils..scared

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brettaph View Post
    First off, I do suffer from Anxiety Disorder. (Diagnosed 2 weeks ago).

I also am at the tail end of a somewhat severe sinus infection. (I never had any drainage from the nose, just down the back of my throat.)

What I am worried about is that now my left pupil is smaller than the right pupil. I went to the ER and he said that they were, in fact, slightly different sizes. However, the night before (and once more a few days earlier) the difference was VERY noticeable. The right pupil was at least double the left pupil, but they both responded to light the way they should. Both times this happened after I had falling asleep watching TV in a dark room. (Both times i had spent time laying on the left side of my head.)

The ER doc checked my eyes in regular light and said that they both dilated fine. Then he checked them with the lights off so he could see if there was a tumor or lesion causing the difference. He told me that everything looked fine and that it was just the pressure of the remaining sinus infection putting pressure around the eye. He then had me take a vision test (the one with the chart on the wall where you cover your eyes one at a time.) The nurse was surprised at how well I was able to read the lines. (I read all but the last line.)

Despite this, I am still scared. I do have anxiety (almost always medically related; I've diagnosed myself with MANY disorders and diseases in the last two weeks.)

I don't have any headaches or noticeable vision problems. My left eye just feels 'weird'. I don't have a better word for it. It's not a distinct pressure or pain, just an over-all weird feeling. When I wake up, the pupil difference is more distinct, but normally, as the day goes on it goes back to 'normal.'

Any ideas??....and please don't just answer with a scary condition if you have nothing to back it up with...I get very scared and go into panic attacks very easily. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
    Anne75123
    (female)

Anne75123 HB User

OMG, I have the same thing happen to me and I'm freaking out, I saw an eye dr. my exam was fine and he's sending me to see a neurologist, but my appt. isn't till next month. Did you have any tests done?

Old 05-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
    Anne75123
    (female)

Anne75123 HB User

Hi it's me again, I suffer from anxioty too, and I have exact same symptoms at night watching TV, I''m verry scared too, I think the worse, can't relax...
    Please let me know if you foud anything out yet?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
    brettaph
    (male)

brettaph HB User

Hey Anne...I've been to a few doctor's appointments since the original post. All 3 doctors assured me that they have found nothing wrong with me and that an MRI is unnecessary as every test (vision, strength, coordination, etc) they have run has shown me to be above normal.

They have all told me that Anisocoria can have a sudden onset with no problem (meaning no tumor or blod clot or other cause). It just happens sometimes. I've also been told that I've probably had Anisocoria my whole life, but didn't realize it til I started dealing with the anxiety. I don't actually by that, but my mom just told me yesterday that my 14-year younger brother has always had uneven pupils.

I am going to see an E.N.T. in a few weeks for my TMD, so I am going to ask him if the swelling in the facial area caused by TMD, could also cause the anisocoria.

They also all told me that Anxiety can make our bodies do crazy things, such as uneven pupils! Hopefully this helped you out, and as long as you don't have any balance, speech, strength, or memory issues and your eyelid isn't droopy and you don't have blurry vision...you are fine!

The Following User Says Thank You to brettaph For This Useful Post:
    Anne75123 (05-09-2011)
    Old 05-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
    Anne75123
    (female)

Anne75123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brettaph View Post
    Hey Anne...I've been to a few doctor's appointments since the original post. All 3 doctors assured me that they have found nothing wrong with me and that an MRI is unnecessary as every test (vision, strength, coordination, etc) they have run has shown me to be above normal.

They have all told me that Anisocoria can have a sudden onset with no problem (meaning no tumor or blod clot or other cause). It just happens sometimes. I've also been told that I've probably had Anisocoria my whole life, but didn't realize it til I started dealing with the anxiety. I don't actually by that, but my mom just told me yesterday that my 14-year younger brother has always had uneven pupils.

I am going to see an E.N.T. in a few weeks for my TMD, so I am going to ask him if the swelling in the facial area caused by TMD, could also cause the anisocoria.

They also all told me that Anxiety can make our bodies do crazy things, such as uneven pupils! Hopefully this helped you out, and as long as you don't have any balance, speech, strength, or memory issues and your eyelid isn't droopy and you don't have blurry vision...you are fine!

Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
    Anne75123
    (female)

Anne75123 HB User

Hello and thanks for quick reply

Last edited by Anne75123; 05-18-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
    samantha862000
    (female)

samantha862000 HB User

I feel like im talking to myself. I have Anxiety and have had blurred vision and uneven pupils for a couple years. But when talking to doctors they ignore my claims. I have sinus issues as well and it all seemed to start 3 years ago. The sinuses,anxiety and uneven pupils. I also have strange numbness in my face here and there. I've had a Ct scan and lots of blood work. Im afraid to push the issue to much because i'm afraid they will all just look at the anxiety part and say im crazy..but i really have to figure out whats going on..its pushing me over the edge. Going to the eye doc tom. hopefully he can fix my prescription..i went a couple months ago because of my floaters and had my eyes dilated, it caused the pupil that was normally bigger to take longer to dilate and stay dilated longer but it returned to normal after 6 hrs ..Do you have any hazy vision or light sensitivity when your pupils are different sizes?? Thanks, Sam

Closed Thread