It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Normal MRI, but still worried about MS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
    katerinerose
    (female)

katerinerose HB User
    Normal MRI, but still worried about MS

Hello there! I'm a nineteen year old college student that's been plagued with health anxiety over MS for most of this past year. My symptoms started during my first month of the semester. I'd been up all night studying for an exam and I had a big cup of coffee to keep me awake. When I was finished, I tried to go to sleep and found that I couldn't keep my eyes closed and then gradually I began to feel a prickling sensation in my arms that gradually spread to my hands and fingers. I moved my arms around thinking I'd just been lying down in an odd position but it persisted. It continued for another two days without end. I was at work a few days after it stopped and I noticed a blue discoloration to my fingers. My Dad took me to the ER and they gave me a blood test, a chest x-ray, and CT scan of my chest and they only thing they could find was high blood sugar so they suspected diabetes. I had a fasting blood sugar test a week later that came out normal and that was the end of that. About two months later I noticed the same prickling sensation again in my fingers, only much more subtle than last time. It worried me enough to go to my primary doctor who referred me to a neurologist. He suspected MS and ordered an MRI of my brain with contrast as well as an MRI of my cervical spine. While I was waiting for the MRI referral I began to have muscle fasciculations all over my body. This of course stressed me out even more, and the twitches got worse. Both MRI's came out normal and I thought it was all over until the weather got warm again and I went outside to tan. I did this for three days and every time my toes would begin to tingle as well as the fingers on my left hand. My fasciculations have started again, only they're much more minor than they were before. I've heard that an MRI doesn't always pick up lesions so naturally I'm freaking out about it. Has anyone else ever been in this situation before? Any advice? I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by katerinerose; 05-13-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
    thefarm
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
    Re: Normal MRI, but still worried about MS

Hello,
    I think you should ask for a referral to another neurologist for a second opinion. The thing is, you need to make sure they have experience with MS because not all neurologists do. Is the one you have now experienced with MS? If he's not then he shouldn't be even reading the mri because he most likely doesn't know what to look for.
    Don't give up! Good Luck ♥
    Back injury~ 2005
    Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
    Fibromyalgia~ 2009
    Neuropathy

Closed Thread