It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• PET SCAN... scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)

Candi1006 HB User
    PET SCAN... scared

Hi Everyone!! My name is Candi and I have been dealing with a rare disorder for a few years now. I have been selected to participate in a brain imaging study and I have to fly out to CA which scares me to death, but they also want to do a PET Scan with the radioactive dye. I am scared I am going to have a reaction from the dye or feel weird from it. They also want to do a VEP, EEG and MRI. I hate the banging of the MRI, so that is a load of anxiety. Anyone have any of these done before... what should I expect?

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
    matt865
    (male)

matt865 HB User
    Re: PET SCAN... scared

Hi i don't think it will be that bad what kind of problems have you been having? i need to get a pet scan also and maybe a mri i have been having some bad issues for about 4wks everything has been feeling slow and i have problems remembering and memory and i have problems recognizing things in my vision and brain fog and have to stay in the dark not sure if its attention problem or spatial memory problem or something with my senses or focus.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)

Candi1006 HB User

Hi, Thanks for writing back. I have vision and brain issues. My brain is causing me to see things in my vision that normal people filter out. Spots in vision, flashing all 24/7. My nervous system is in over drive too. I hope they find out what has been going on with you!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
    NerveEnding
    (male)

NerveEnding HB UserNerveEnding HB User

What to expect:

* MRI: For an MRI of the brain, unless it is an open MRI, it can be loud and close. People with claustrophobia can have problems. Nowadays they are usually relatively quick, often less than 30 minutes.

* EEG: You just lie there with things on your head. The things are similar to what they put on your chest for an EKG except there are more of them, usually around 24. It is more sensitive if you fall asleep during the test. The toughest part is washing your hair out after the test is done.

* VEP: You just sit there and look at flashing lights. That's it!

* PET: A scan of your brain but it is looking at function rather than structure (The MRI looks at structure.) The "radioactive dye" is a bit of a misnomer. Essentially you will get a normal brain chemical, but one of the compounds will be radiolabeled, meaning wherever it goes in the brain it will light up. For instance, one might use something equivalent to radioactive dopamine in a Parkinson patient to see the extent of the dopamine loss. The amount of radiation you receive is minimal; you will be exposed to more radiation on your flight to California than you will receive in this test. I suspect the chemical you will be receiving will essentially be radiolabeled glucose (sugar).

To further ease your mind, none of these tests are more invasive than an IV line which will be needed for the PET, and possibly for the MRI.

Closed Thread