It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Brain Fog

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
    dertitan2
    (male)

dertitan2 HB User
    Brain Fog

my wife has been experiencing the following over the past few days...about 3 to 4 times a day, she zones out, she says it feel like there is this fog in her brain, there is apart of her that is aware this is going on, but she is unable to shake it off, she just needs to stay very still, even hold herself very tight, then after a bit of time she feel completely fine, like nothing even happened.

Last night I saw this for myself, she just zoned out and seemed very sleepy, I took her back to the bedroom, and she seemed to fall right asleep, then less than two minutes later, she was up and wide awake, wondering why she was in bed...

I have sent her to her doctor today, but any ideas, suggestions, etc...would be very helpful...

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Brain Fog

I wonder if she is having some sort of minimal seizure activity like petit mal seizures. The other possibility would be low blood sugars but usually people get very shaky and instinctly feel the need to eat something. Let us know what they find out. The fact she had amnesia for why she was in bed sounds more like a petit mal seizure.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
    dertitan2
    (male)

dertitan2 HB User

In reading the description of petit mal, seems to fit

how is this diagnosed??

Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

An EEG is done to map brain wave activity. She should see a neurologist if the description fits.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
    dertitan2
    (male)

dertitan2 HB User

the only thing that is different is the length of the episode, not just a few seconds, seem to last several minutes, what she told me last night is that while she is experiencing this, her vision is not affected, she just cannot think, it is like she divides into one part is zoned out and the other part is fully aware of what is going on, but cannot clear the fog...she actually finds it hard to breath, but she doesn't experience a rapid heart rate, at first we thought this might be an anxiety attack...one thing that seems to help is if she goes for a run, when she comes out of the fog or zone, she describes it like everything just becomes extremely clear, like her body and mind is immediately opening up...not sure that makes sense...

Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
    dertitan2
    (male)

dertitan2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    An EEG is done to map brain wave activity. She should see a neurologist if the description fits.
    ok, just went to lunch with my wife, she had an episode while we were eating, i noticed that all of a sudden she stopped talking, and then just starred off into space, i asked her if she was having an episode, she did not reply other than to look at me an smile, once it was over, lasted several minutes, she said she felt along with the fogginess was a pressure along her forehead, she remembers me asking her if she was having one, but simply could not respond

Old 11-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

That definitely sounds like a petit mal seizure. She needs a work-up to find out why she is having these. Her PCP could refer her to a neurologist, or she can go directly if insurance doesn't require a referral. I would go with her so you can describe the episodes as you have witnessed them. She should not be driving at all with these as she could have an accident. Please let us know what you find out.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
    dertitan2
    (male)

dertitan2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    That definitely sounds like a petit mal seizure. She needs a work-up to find out why she is having these. Her PCP could refer her to a neurologist, or she can go directly if insurance doesn't require a referral. I would go with her so you can describe the episodes as you have witnessed them. She should not be driving at all with these as she could have an accident. Please let us know what you find out.
    in doing some research on just "brain fog", my wife just started taking birth control pills, previously she had an IUD, this week we also started taking sertreline 50mg as well, do you think there could be some type of interaction between the two???

Closed Thread