It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• I can't go on - Head Pressure/Rush spells with palls

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
    Liseesmom
    (female)

Liseesmom HB User
    I can't go on - Head Pressure/Rush spells with palls

Hi everyone. I know you don't have any answers for me, neither do the doctors. But here I am a day before Christmas, and I cant' enjoy my kids or do anything but worry.

Long story short, Im 45. 4 months ago I developed out of the blue headaches over my eyes. Chalked it up to sinuses and then they decreased. Still felt vague "pressure" sensations. Then about a month ago, after a bad sinus infection, I started to get terrible burning muscle pain in my shoulder and neck area. Then back of the head cramps, accompanied by unrelenting ear and head pressure and then waves of nausea and dizziness, and arrhythmia particularly when I was sleeping. These would wake me with a wave of adrenaline like from my chest to my head. I also developed terrible insomnia, only sleeping 3 full nights out of the week b/c of the symptoms. Not a good recipe for a mom of 3.... They were like attacks. Then chest pain, then kidney pain as if something were squeezing me all over.

Was hospitalized, had every test in the book, MRI, MRA, blood work cant find anything. I do have mitral valve prolapse and in fact had a valve replacement 5 yrs ago.

Frankly, Im terrified b/c I feel like my body functions have been hijacked. I can't sleep, Im nauseaus, I can't eat, I pee all the time, my heart rhythm is WAY off (and I know palps, these are NOT palps), paresthesias, and now everyone is like, get over it its anxiety. The dr's are cautiously considered dyautonomia, but Im so scared b/c what if its multple system atrophy in the beginning stages or something so tragic? I even bought a blood pressure monitor and take it like 50 times a day. I know I sound anxious, and yes, I am but I believe 90% of this is physical. I have had positive ANA's in the past so maybe time to go get retested.

I will add that after the birth of my first child 15 yrs ago I had some similar symptoms but MUCH milder which everyone chalked up to depression. They did resolve after about 4 months. Dr. thinks related. Im terrified its something life altering. Up until one month ago, I was an avid athlete. Now Im reduced to patheticness, crying, worried, and worst of all not feeling well and no one believing me

Help, any words of encouragement??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: I can't go on- Head Pressure/Rush spells with palls

Welcome, and I am sorry you are feeling so badly with no answers. Some of your symptoms could be explained by thyroid imbalance, such as hyperthyroidism, sleep apnea and lupus. It is possible it could be all 3 as they can be related. I would wonder if your insomnia, "adrenaline" attacks and arrhythmia at night are triggered by sleep apnea, where one stops breathing numerous times during sleep, which causes low oxygen, triggers heart rhythm disturbances and awakens you in a panic feeling. The headaches, muscle and chest pains can occur in lupus, as well as the nausea and bladder overactivity. I would ask your Dr. to check your thyroid hormone levels, including TSH, free T3 and T4, and thyroid antibodies. I would get your ANA checked again, as well as sed rate, CRP (for inflammation) and anti dsDNA and anti-smith antibodies, 2 tests that are specific for lupus. Get a urine check done too to rule out infection and look for any urinary/kidney signs of lupus. Then finally, get a sleep study done, or at least a nighttime pulse oximetry test to check for episodes of low oxygen, suggestive of apnea. All these situations can be treated, which makes a major difference in how you feel. Hormonal changes often precede lupus, which is why the first pregnancy may have triggered this and now perimenopause may be occurring, triggering this. It sounds like your Dr is reasonable and I'll bet he will run these tests for you to figure this out.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #3
    kjm44
    (female)

kjm44 HB User
    Re: I can't go on - Head Pressure/Rush spells with palls

Take a deep breath and remember that so far, so good. Nothing is off the charts or detrimental at this time. I know it's hard to feel crappy with kids and the anxiety of something being wrong can make it unbearable. I say that from experience! I'm going through something similar and work myself up into full blown panic thinking about what my kids would do without me. I have finally convinced myself to relax more and am managing to better control my anxiety. I know deep breathing is over-rated, but I recommend it to oxygenate the blood I am also super active and stopped working out, which makes me feel worse! My most recent doc appt was with a Hematologist because I'm slightly anemic and she referred me to a Rheumatologist because I sound like a "text book" Fibromyalgia case. I always thought it was a blanket diagnosis for people with non-life threatening ailments that couldn't be diagnosed with anything. My mind has changed after the research I have done.

My Best,
    Kimberly

Last edited by Administrator; 11-20-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
    personmann
    (male)

personmann HB User

I am sorry you are going through this.

I wish I had discovered this site sooner. I see so many people suffering so many of my symptoms, and some the same exact pattern too.

Your story got my attention...so many similarities to my own. I just now started to reply to you and realized that I was trying to condense my whole story into some short helpful post, but I couldn't do it. I was rambling a bit, but also I'm not sure I have any answers, it's too soon.

I have had some kind of break through though, I am feeling better the last few days after months of the worst kind of misery. Either I'm onto something or I just got lucky, not sure yet. I am going to work on documenting what I've been through and writing a history and background a little before I post anything.

I think my story might be helpful assuming things keep going they way they are. At least you, and other people, will have more information to go on, even if we are not really suffering from the same thing exactly. I think we all need to share as much info. as possible.

I do believe there really is something going on here that is both common, and strangely undocumented by current medicine - doctors seem to have no idea what is going on with our symptoms. How can there be such a clear connection between a sinus infection and sinus pain on one hand and then anxiety, depression, muscular tension and other neurological issues and doctors not even know about it?
    How can so many people have such similar serious symptoms and there not be at least a clear theory as to the cause? Believe me I have tried everything, read everything, and spoken to many doctors there is no consensus among them.

Anyway, I just wanted to say to you, that you are not alone. Also, hang in there, you need to believe that you can and will get better. Take some time for yourself to relax and heal, do whatever you need to do to figure this out and feel better. If you think about it, nothing is more important. Good luck.
    -DB

Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 AM   #5
    Liseesmom
    (female)

Liseesmom HB User

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately my situation has worsened with no answer! Since that time the neck pain has become unbearable. I also started Twitching! and having muscle cramps. Very scary. Everyone keeps saying thats from the anxiety of the situation. I had an EEG and EMG done- normal. I am completely depressed and I gave in to everyone who said it was just "anxiety" and have been taking lexapro and klonopin every night with no relief. 6 weeks with meds and no releif. And I have developed this bizarre internal trembling when I am waking up and involuntary swallowing when I am in twilight sleep (like something "makes" me swallow). Ive been to three neuros and a psych dr, orthopedist and everyone says anxiety. I did have extensive autoimmume testing and endocrine testing which I get back this week so I will repost if it finds anthying. My husband is ready to divorce me. No one has patience for me and I just cry all the time from being undiagnosed and in pain.

Sorry, I wish I could have posted something more positive!!!! But the arrthymias and dizziness and whooses to the head have stopped.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
    anwis67
    (female)

anwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB User

Hi. Some types of neuropathy don't show up on an EMG. If you feel like it read about Small Fiber Neuropathy. Have you been tested for heavy metal(arsenic and lead) poisoning?B12 deficiency? It took me two years to get diagnosed with Small fiber Neuropathy. At times I would feel like I was having seizures but people would sit up and watch me and they saw nothing but the internal shaking was horrid. I would always wake up paniked. Then it was just a vicious cycle of being afraid to sleep. Lack of rest can really stress your body. Just know that you are supported here! Allie

Closed Thread