It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Nerves in Neck Seem Messed Up

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
    Hefner33
    (male)

Hefner33 HB User
    Nerves in Neck Seem Messed Up

Hey guys,

I wanted to throw something out there and see if anyone could relate or had any ideas what type of issue I could be messing with as Dr's and tests can't figure out.

8 Months ago, I had a terrifying health scare that sent me to the ER which turned out that everything was normal. That set off a wave of issues over the next months and to this day. I went for months after this event with a hazed vision, just walking around like if I were 'buzzed' but wasn't. I also had this tingling in both wrists and shins. Over the months I had bouts with near passing out, nightime short of breath, severe malaise, and other smaller forms of problems. I just couldn't shake it whatever it was. I went to dr after dr and had every work up. Ill post the bullet lists at the bottom of this post.

To this day everything has dicsipated mostly except for chronic neck discomfort in the left side and front of my neck. The pain isnt so much where I cant move my head which I can easily with no further pain but more so a hard, achey, sometimes burning of my left sterno and the muscles in front of my throat (above and below my adams apple) will tighten. Gnawing is the word that comes to mind when I try to describe it. Also when all this started I have a chronic popping in the back of my neck when bending forward and when taking a deep breath. Been told it was crevititus? But started when this began

The pain has its episodes from not so bad to just plain miserable. The only thing that has eased it, it taking a 1mg dose of klonoplin. With this paticular symptoms I have had CT scan of neck, MRI of the brain and neck, ultrasound of the thyroid, trigger point injections, nasal endosopy of nasal throat (twice) ,upper GI endoscopy, 15 sessions of physical therapy, two sessions of chiro (felt worse immediately after these appts). For medications I have went through 3 different types of muscle relaxers, 4 different types of anti-flammatories, prednisone, antibiotics, vertigo medicine, 2 pregablins, 1 neurotonin to no avail.

The only thing that seems to help is the horrible benzo which seems to put my body at relaxation.

Every Dr I have seen stated it some type of muscle issue but tests after tests they can figure out why. My MRI showed I had very slight bluged disc at c5-6 but dr states it wouldn't cause this extreme of discomfort since there is no compression.

Pain dr now wants to do facet joint injections at point when he presses on back of my neck would be tender. However there are days they are not tender but I still have this ache, constriction of muscles going on. He said that I need to be in pain the day of to do this tests so I dont know whats going to happen.

To me its seems like a neurological response and my body wont allow that side of my neck to give up only until a substance like klonoplin causes it to calm down. When I saw the nuerologists way back when all this started he thought it sounded viral and was the one that preescribed me prednisone.

I can sometimes feel the tug in the back of my throat it seems like as well.

Posture hasn't changed anything and sleep use to be great all night it was only when I awoke did the symptoms start. No I am waking and when I wake I can feel the ache. This is constant at night.

But again there are days I feel quite comfortable given I probably still have the klonoplin in my system. Ive been marked off as having anxiety so I figure thats not the main cause but I do figure I have some since I can get this issue fixed.

Anyone here figure anything out that sounds remotely in the ball park on whats going on here or other options I can explore or look at that might help with whats going on.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Last edited by Hefner33; 02-19-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
    Hefner33
    (male)

Hefner33 HB User
    Re: Nerves in Neck Seem Messed Up

Forgot the test I have had

Cardio: Echo, Stress echo, EKG's, Month Holter Monitor, 24 hour blood pressure

Pulmonary: Breathing test, Chest CT (they thought possible PE), Sleep study, Chest xray

Bloodwork: Everything

Endoctorine: Nasal and throat endoscopy, thyroid ultrasound

Nuero: Brain MRI

Gastro: Upper Endoscopy GI Tract

Probably forgetting a few but if you ask and I remember I will state..

Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
    Hefner33
    (male)

Hefner33 HB User

double post

Last edited by Hefner33; 02-19-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
    david83
    (male)

david83 HB User

You said you had a terrible health scare, but what happened specifically? The reason I ask is that I have quite similar symptoms. It happened after some strenuous exercise - I suddenly got really blurred vision/felt like I was about to pass out. I then had months of "hazy" vision like you describe, which would come and go, plus weird tingling in my legs and just a general malaise. This was about 10 months ago and has reduced somewhat, but is still there.

I also have a stiff neck and odd discomfort at the back of my throat. I've had countless tests (MRI scan of the brain, ECG, blood tests, etc.) without anything showing up. So all I can offer here is the usual "I have similar symptoms" thing you get on forums like this without any answers, but hopefully someone can help - if indeed we do have the same thing, which we might not.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Did you have a cervical spine MRI?

I would assume the neurologist you saw would have picked up something like a chiari malformation...?

Old 03-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
    Hefner33
    (male)

Hefner33 HB User

David

The scare was I was walking through our house and I had a quick spasm in my left arm which then a odd rush went through and I felt like I was about to pass out. I kneeled and had no energy to stand back up.

Ever since that day ive been all messed up. Some weeks better than others. Theres some days I feel completely normal for a majority of the day

Yea ive had all the test it seems and then someone suggests something and then I go ask about that.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
    Hefner33
    (male)

Hefner33 HB User

Teterri66

I had a cervical mri (neck) so not sure if thats the same thing as a cervical spine one.

The neuro just said it sounded viral and rxed prednisone. The just called to let me know the brain mri was normal.

Ill google chiari

Closed Thread