It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board

• Can an mri w/o contrast miss a brain tumor?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #1
    brandyliquor43
    (female)

brandyliquor43 HB User
    Can an mri w/o contrast miss a brain tumor?

I'm starting to question many diagnosis' I've been given. Currently diagnosed with post concussive syndrome, which has caused an auditory processing disorder, short term memory loss, and adhd. I was in a pedestrian car accident 5 plus years ago, I was the pedestrian. But my cognitive symptoms are getting worse not better. Severe migraines, short term memory loss, several months ago, I began having difficulty finding the right words to say, and in February began having episodes of stuttering, and a couple of times I couldn't write my name, I was putting all my strength into trying to write it but I couldn't do it. I'm having a lot of tinnitus in my left ear, mostly rhythmic. My neurologist had me do a sleep deprived eeg, hopefully will get results by Wednesday. He thinks I'm having seizures. He said the mri didn't show a brain tumor, however I'm really leaning towards that. It makes sense, it would make so much sense, of that's why despite meds I've taken last couple of years, why I'm getting worse, not better. My sister has a meningioma. And her and I are having many of the same problems. I just, want to find some answers. I just turned 44, I cannot tolerate noisey environments, any kind of multiple noise, and I cannot focus. When I have to try to figure things out, when doing the budget, it literally hurts. I don't like to have to "think" I'm losing small bits of time. Doing things that I have no memory of whatsoever. Multiple muscle twitches. I can't read for too long, because it hurts and makes me very tired, I can't stand bright lights at all. If this eeg comes back showing I am having seizures, which I've never ever had before in my entire life, should I get a second opinion of my neurologist refuses to do more tests to find out why?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Can an mri w/o contrast miss a brain tumor?

Most of the time an MRI will pick up everything there is to see; but there is always a margin of error. IF you feel that it should be repeated with Contrast and your doctor will not do it, you can get a second opinion.

The symptoms you listed do not necessarily equate a brain tumor however. I have almost all of those symptoms, and I have multiple sclerosis.

What type of Neuro is your doctor? Is he a general neuro, or does he specialize in something? You might want to consider looking for a traumatic brain injury Neurologist...they will have more experience. Sometimes neuros specialize in things like Parkinson's or MS or ALS- that is not the type of doctor you need...

If he won't do further testing, ask him why...his answer might surprise you!

Good luck. I hope you get your answers.

Reply Reply