It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board

• Brain Tumor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2005, 06:06 AM   #1
    Mellissy
    (female)

Mellissy HB User
    Question Brain Tumor?

I have a doctors appointment today. I'm nervous, because a couple of friends of mine, with everything going on, said that it could be a brain tumor. So I was wanting someone else's advice to ask if this sounded like a brain tumor.

I constantly have a headache, more so when I wake up. I'm nauseated, dizzy and sometimes I do vomit because of that. I haven't gained weight, I've actually lost. Sometimes I have trouble focusing my vision on a certain object and others, my ear feels like it has volume control. I can hear really good and others it's like I can't hear at all. I've been having muscle spasms, mostly on my right side. Twitches, too, in my ankle. My right arm has gone completely weak before. Then my face...my left eye has twitched for two whole days before, my chin has spazed out, my jaw's gone numb, not to mention I've had three blackouts from my headaches, I'm assuming. Two where I couldn't really speak afterwards or say the word, "recordings."

If someone could help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it. My doc doesn't think it's serious but I've had to live with it for months and I didn't want to admit it before but I think that it is serious and I'm afraid that when I see him today, he won't do anything about it...again.

Thanks,

Missy

Last edited by Mellissy; 08-04-2005 at 12:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2005, 06:19 AM   #2
    tmg
    (female)

tmg HB User
    Re: Brain Tumor

Missy,
    so how did the Drs app go? I hope he is sending you for an MRI or CAT scan. Your symptoms could be many different things. Whatever you have you need to find out so they can treat you. No one should have to live in that much pain. If your Dr didn't listen to you then please go to another one until you get the help you need. good luck and let us know how it has all turned out. tina

Old 08-05-2005, 07:40 AM   #3
    Mellissy
    (female)

Mellissy HB User

Thanks for your reply, Tina. My doctors appointment went okay. He's finally sending me to get an MRI and an EEG sometime next week, so for that I'm thankful for because I got sick again this morning and I'm always so tired and I don't know how much longer I can go like this but I am trying. My doctor said that it might be complex migraines, multiple sclerosis or something around that, but he's not real sure right now and he said that we can find out alot from an MRI and that, if it's necessary, he might do a spinal tap, though I hope he doesn't. But thank you for your reply, though, and I'll keep everyone updated on how things go.

Missy

Last edited by Mellissy; 08-05-2005 at 07:50 AM.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
    tmg
    (female)

tmg HB User

Missy,
    My husband has been having some problems similar to you but not exactly the same. He had an MRI that turned out ok. They are treating him with Medication for tremmors and it also helps to prevent migraines. He is doing better not always great but better. We were also worried that it was MS or a brain tumor. I feel so sorry for him when he has one of his episodes. I am glad he has found some relief with the medication. I hope you have as good of results if not better. tina

Old 08-05-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
    Mellissy
    (female)

Mellissy HB User

Thank you Tina, I hope so too. I am a little bit worried, though, since other things will factor into this but I thank you again for all of your help and support.

Missy

Old 08-05-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
    Zvezdas
    (male)

Zvezdas HB User

I highly doubt it is a brian tumor. And if it is, they should be able to remove it without problems because melignant brain tumors usually cause seizures, and you havent mentioned any so Im guessing you havent had any seizures.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
    Mellissy
    (female)

Mellissy HB User

Well, the doctor calls them seizures, but they don't seem like seizures to me. Those blackouts that I have, he calls those "seizure-type deals". It doesn't seem like a seizure to me but then again, he's the doctor so I guess he would know.

Missy

Old 08-06-2005, 07:41 AM   #8
    Ruth6:11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

What day are your tests, Missy?
    I always send out "the troops" on those days...
    Ruth

Last edited by Ruth6:11; 08-06-2005 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Just wanted to add another "troop"!

Old 08-06-2005, 03:57 PM   #9
    Mellissy
    (female)

Mellissy HB User

Hey Ruth,

I'm not sure what day that the tests are on. Someone from the doctors office called me today, just asking me questions for the tests and they said they'd make me an appointment on Monday so it might be either Tuesday or Wednesday. They said they were going to try and schedule them for the same days, and I hope that they do so I can just go there for one day and be done with it until I go back to my doctors office a week later.

And send out the troops? Am I right to assume that they are the angels? Because if they are, I greatly appreciate it. I'm going to have an anonymous prayer tomorrow at my church and put it in the book because I hate people asking questions and knowing what it's about. I may tell one woman who's like an aunt to me, but that'll be it.

Missy

Old 08-07-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
    cody48
    (female)

cody48 HB User

Mellissy, I'll be thinking of you as you have these tests. You are in my prayers. Let us hear from you. Prayer Warriers will be at work.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:14 AM   #11
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User

mellissy,

a spinal tap needn't be that bad ... i've had two, and the first one i didn't even know i was having (my neuro was just sitting behind me as i'd curled up into the requisite fetal position) ... i said, "have you started yet?" and the reply was oh yes, he'd inserted the needle yadda yadda ... my second one i could feel, some slight nerve pain, but it wasn't bad ...

hope all goes well and it's "just" a migraine ...

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #12
    Mellissy
    (female)

Mellissy HB User

Thanks cody48 for the prayer warriors. I need all the prayers that I can get.

JB, I hope it is just a migraine. The spinal tap only has me a little worried now but I did go and pick up my papers that I need when I go and have these tests done. They're both next Thursday, so I'll be at the hospital all day (instead of going to math class) and the doctor noted that these tests were to be done due to "seizure activity" so again that makes me a little worried, but I'll hopefully keep myself calm because I've looked up every possible answer to these symptoms and none of them are good. But thanks everyone for the prayers I hope that despite all the possible answers that things will go well.

Missy

Old 08-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #13
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Wink Re: Brain Tumor

mellissy,

sometimes a little knowledge is a bad thing:
    Quote:
    I've looked up every possible answer to these symptoms and none of them are good.
    i find the 'net very useful for most things (like 95 percent), but when it comes to something as complex as the brain, it's better left to the experts to interpret (not that you can't do your own research -- in today's world, where everything is so complicated and there's a wealth of information available, god forbid), but it may seem like SOMETHING!! when it is, in fact, a small thing , or a merely annoying thing...

i once had a sudden loss of vision (the only thing that galls me is that it COULD have been a detached retina) that turned out to be a migraine, and i had a "stroke" about eight years ago that they think now may be mitochondrial disorder (i've had every test known to man -- that's how i know about lumbar punctures -- and had many consults to boot) ...

so try not to worry, and if you're told it IS a bad thing, get a second opinion ... my stroke was dx'd as a brain tumour on my first MRI, and only when my neuro had the wit to get a second opinion from another pathologist was it considered a stroke ...

good luck, and adding warriors

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-08-2005, 06:37 PM   #14
    Mellissy
    (female)

Mellissy HB User

Thanks again JB I can try to get a second opinion, though I'm not sure how well that will go, since I don't have the money or insurance to pay for too many doctors or testing. I don't have to pay for this, but any doctors outside of this hospital isn't on the medical assistance I have with the hospital, though I will try and get a second opinion, especially ifit doesn't seem like it could be true.

Missy

I <3 the prayer warriors

Last edited by Mellissy; 08-08-2005 at 06:40 PM.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:39 PM   #15
    Nancy005
    (female)

Nancy005 HB User

There could be so many things that could be causing what you have. When my mom found out she had a brain tumor they weren't even looking for that. She was having dizziness but when she found out she had the tumor they said her dizziness wasn't caused from the tumor. That is really weird! Anyway my mom didn't start having seizures till after she had a brain surgery. She has had two brain surgeries for a tumor that grows back. I think they said her tumor was a Medulloblastoma! Anyway good luck with everything and just know if you did have a brain tumor it doesn't mean that all hope is loss, my mom is only 41 years old and shes had 2 surgeries and shes walking and talking and living her life normal as ever!

Closed Thread