It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board

• Elevated Platelets Related to Brain Tumor??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2006, 05:39 AM   #1
    rene24
    (female)

rene24 HB User
    Elevated Platelets Related to Brain Tumor??

Hello All, I am a newbie on these boards and I am hoping to find someone out there that can possibly relate to my problem. Two years ago I started suffering from headaches every day after taking a fall out in the yard. ( I have always had headaches growing up, but not everyday) My doctor ordered a MRI and bloodwork, and it came back saying I had a small brain tumor and that my platelet level was elevated. I found a great hematologist, and he has put me thru every test known to man. Every test has come back good, and he keeps referring to the tumor in my head as possible causing me my secondary thombrocytosis. Last week I suffered from a headache for 8 straight days, and was popping advil like candy. THis was prior to my visit with my hematologist where my platelet count had went over 1 million. I nearly fell off the table. They have always fluctuated between 6 and 850. He sent me for another MRI which I have not gotten the results back yet. I have them every 6 months to keep an eye on the growth of the tumor, but my six month MRI was not due until April. The tumor is benign (thank God), but would have to be removed if it gets bigger. My hemotologist keeps referring to an infection in my body, posssible coming from the tumor. Does anyone out there have any problem like this with having some kind of tumor in there body, and there platelet level being high?? How about the advil? Is it possible that they could of increased my level?? I go back next week for results and have not taken any advil or ibuprofin since then. Anybody out there in the same boat? Would appreciate any help!!!! Rene24

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
    tomatoes49
    (female)

tomatoes49 HB User
    Re: Elevated Platelets Related to Brain Tumor??

i get headaches all the time and my counts are in the 800's , dont think i have a tumor in my head but who knows i have been tested for everything but, i can tell you its not the advil cause i never take any of that or ib profin
    hope all goes well

Old 03-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
    gina2020
    (female)

gina2020 HB User

hello im a newbie i have tumor in the ventricle area of my brain, and my platlets have been high and other blood work is off also but they say that this problem with my head has nothing to do with all this bad blood work. so next week i will be going back to hemo doctor.if i can find out anything to help i will let you know best wishes gina

Old 03-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rene24
    Hello All, I am a newbie on these boards and I am hoping to find someone out there that can possibly relate to my problem. Two years ago I started suffering from headaches every day after taking a fall out in the yard. ( I have always had headaches growing up, but not everyday) My doctor ordered a MRI and bloodwork, and it came back saying I had a small brain tumor and that my platelet level was elevated. I found a great hematologist, and he has put me thru every test known to man. Every test has come back good, and he keeps referring to the tumor in my head as possible causing me my secondary thombrocytosis. Last week I suffered from a headache for 8 straight days, and was popping advil like candy. THis was prior to my visit with my hematologist where my platelet count had went over 1 million. I nearly fell off the table. They have always fluctuated between 6 and 850. He sent me for another MRI which I have not gotten the results back yet. I have them every 6 months to keep an eye on the growth of the tumor, but my six month MRI was not due until April. The tumor is benign (thank God), but would have to be removed if it gets bigger. My hemotologist keeps referring to an infection in my body, posssible coming from the tumor. Does anyone out there have any problem like this with having some kind of tumor in there body, and there platelet level being high?? How about the advil? Is it possible that they could of increased my level?? I go back next week for results and have not taken any advil or ibuprofin since then. Anybody out there in the same boat? Would appreciate any help!!!! Rene24
    Elevated platelet can indicate the body believes it is bleeding some place and is forming platelets to try to stop the bleeding. Cancer and other tumors whether malignant or benign can trigger a response from the body.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:26 PM   #5
    Janatee
    (female)

Janatee HB UserJanatee HB User

Dear Merimac, You replied to Rene24 back in Feb. and I was wondering if you are still out there??? Rene24 is my sister, and your reply was interesting, about the possibility of having a brain tumor related to high platelets. I do not know if she has answered you, only because she has not been feeling well and has not been on her computer. Since she last posted, the doc has put her on Hydrea. She has some upset stomache feelings now and then, but she really wants to come off this medicine. She has seen a Neurologist, and a Neurosurgeon, both from Phila******a. Both seem to want and take the watch and wait approach on her tumor. She gets MRI's with contrast every 6 months to keep an eye on this. It was classified as a low grade slow growing glioma. The Neurologist says the tumor has nothing to do with the high platelets, and hemo doc thinks it does. She has had every test they can think of, and all turns up good! Even the bone marrow test. Nothing to idicate any cancer...we are stumped... Have you had any dealings with tumors or high platelets??? We were both interested in your responce and wondered where you obtained this info... Any thing you can tell us or direct us would be helpful and appreciated... Thanks for any thing you can send.. Worried about my sister.. Janatee

Old 03-28-2006, 02:09 AM   #6
    ryu1977
    (male)

ryu1977 HB User

From several sources in internet I read that sometimes it will be very difficult to find the cause of abnormality with our blood, especially platelets/blood clotting factor.

Cancer, food malabsorpiton, hypersenstivity, allergy, sarciodosis, tumour, inflammation or virus/bacterial/fungal infection could have impact on our blood work.

Even sometimes healthy people without any symptom could have abnormal results (idiopathic/unknown cause).

I do wish your sister will get the proper treatment for her platelets problem.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:42 AM   #7
    PM73
    (female)

PM73 HB User

Hi! I myself am currently undergoing every test possible known to mankind in search of a reason for my secondary thrombocytosis. The doctors say it's secondary because the bone marrow aspiration came back normal ie. no myeloproliferative disorder could be found. Now am scheduled for an MRI since I have also been having neurological symptoms pretty much for the past decade and the last MRI that was done some five years ago did in fact show something but the doctors then decided it did not warrant any action. However, now am having severe bouts of vertigo/dizziness, nausea and headaches as well as the thrombocytosis so I guess they want to rethink it...My thrombocyte level has been steadily climbing up for the past four years, but for some reason nobody has paid any attention to it before now. Also, my doctor keeps referring to an infection that is going on in my body that could be causing it but to be honest this is all VERY puzzling and stressfull time as on one hand they DO say a tumour anywhere in the body can cause thrombocytosis yet on one hand they really seem to be taking their time. But the again, a brain tumour or any other kind of tumour does not necessarily cause thrombocytosis as my sister had an operation to remove a benign brain tumour some years back, and before that an ovarian tumour (benign as well) and she never had thrombocytosis.

But anyone with thrombocytosis, could you please tell me what kind of tests, X-rays or whatever was done by your doctors to find the cause because I can not hepl but feel that there is still something more that should be done.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:12 AM   #8
    Janatee
    (female)

Hello PM73. Thanks for the info. I have been asking alot of questions to help my sister. I passed on your info to her, with hopes she will get back to you about all the test she has had. I don't know all the things she has had, but I do know its a mystery... and she is getting very tired of the doctors and the test. Her bone marrow test came back ok, and I know they have run test for Lukemia, and test for Iron. Blood work also for white and red cells. All of this has come back normal, and no sign of any cancer. Her hemo doctor keeps thinking her problem lies with the tumor (low grade glioma) that is on the right front portion of her head. She has MRI's with contrast every 6 months to keep an eye on this. No doctor as of yet feels it needs to come out??? Her platelets were 1 million 70!!!! They put her on Hydrea, and now they are 700,000. . Yes, doctor keeps saying infection in the body somewhere, but where???? We are stumped. Can I ask, was there a name for the tumor that they removed from you sister... and can you tell us how she is doing, and what level of pain or problems did she encounter. That would be a big help. Also, did they do a biopsy, and how was that done? I hope I'm not being a pain, but when you have someone out there with almost the same problem, you want to know all that you can. Knowledge is POWER... Anything can be helpful, when you need all the hope you can get. Thanks so much, and please let me know how you make out with the MRI. God Bless. Janatee asking for Rene024

Old 03-30-2006, 08:17 AM   #9
    Janatee
    (female)

Hi RYU1077 , Thanks so for all the info. It sure is a mystery, and its really bugging my sister with the high platelets. She has seen 2 very good doctors in Phila******a, the best in their fields, but they just want to wait and watch. Why??? I know brain surgery is a very delicate operation, but why does someone have to wait....till something can go wrong? Never could figure that one out? Anyway, thank you for the input....Rene's sister Janatee

Old 03-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
    rene24
    (female)

rene24 HB User

Hello PM73, I am writing to you in hope that I can answer some of your questions, and maybe you can help me out. My sister recently (Janatee) replied to you for me, as I have not been feeling well enough to drag myself out of bed to get on the computer. She called tonight, and told me about your reply, and so here I am. I have been diagnosed with a possible low grade glioma in the front portion of my head. It was found about a year and a half ago, and that is when the platelet count was also discovered. Last month my platelet count went over 1 million. Before this it has steadily been rising, and usually fluctuated anywhere between 7 and 850. My doctor put me on Hydrea, and as of last Monday it was back down to 770. I go every week for blood work until he can stabilize the count. The Hydrea has made me very tired, and nausous at times. At one point he had doubled the dosage but it seemed to be too much for me, and I am now back to 2 pills a day. When I first started seeing my hematologist he ran all sorts of tests ranging from a bone marrow biopsy to cytogenetics (I think that is correct ) iron blood tests,and anything else in between. I have an appointment this coming Monday to see another neurosurgeon for the tumor. My hemo dr. has stated that usually secondary thrombocytosis is triggered from something else going on in the body. I know you said your sister had a benigh tumor removed and I was wondering if you could give me some info on how the biopsy was performed (meaning did it hurt?? ) and when the tumor was surgically removed did she have any problems afterwards? I have headaches all the time, some dizziness ( today was a bad day for that) and if this is really what is triggering the secondary thrombocytosis then I would really like to have it removed. I am sure brain surgery is no picnic, but living like this is no joy either. I go day by day, and when I have a good day and I am so thankful!!If you get a chance I would love to hear from you or anyone else who might have any info that can help me out. It sure helps hearing from others in the same boat. God bless!! Rene24

Old 04-03-2006, 12:04 AM   #11
    PM73
    (female)

PM73 HB User

Hello! Sorry for taking such a long time in answering, had some problems with my computer. You asked about my sisters case…The tumour she had removed was called an acoustic neuroma, when it was found the doctors did not take a biopsy at all, but said that it had to be removed. It was already causing her vertigo and ringing in her ears, and they said that if it were not removed it would cause her to lose both her balance and hearing completely, and eventually it would be lethal. However, there was a young man in the hospital same time with my sister who had a biopsy done, and at least in his case it was done under general anesthetic… After the operation my sister said that she did not feel much pain at all, just a feeling of pressure in her brain which the doctors said would go away, which it did. However, as a result of the surgery she lost hearing in her left ear, and now the doctors say it will be permanently gone. She could have an internal hearing aid installed, but so far has chosen not to as she still has perfect hearing in her other ear. In this operation there was also a great risk of damaging a nerve and causing the left side of her face to be completely or partly paralysed, but thank God the surgeon was good and could work around the nerve and she did not get any level of paralysis in her face. It has now been some five years since her surgery ( she was only 16 at the time ) and she is now an otherwise healthy university student. She had to go in for MRIs every six months, then every twelve months and now every other year for the rest of her life just to keep an eye on any suspicious changes.
    As you said yourself, brain surgery is no picnic but I get the impression that at least brain surgeons are among the best surgeons there are. And I know that people tend to be very terrified of the idea of brain surgery, I know I was when we first found out about my sister but now I know that wonderful things can be done with medicine these days. I do hope the doctors will find a way to make you feel better soon, knowing that there is something wrong with your body and yet just having to wait and wait and not be able to do anything about it is beyond stressful. I myself will find out this week my newest bloodwork results and about the scheduling of other tests and scans. All my best wishes to you and your sister and if you feel up to it, do keep us posted on your story. God bless you.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:08 AM   #12
    PM73
    (female)

PM73 HB User

Just to clarify it...they called the tumour 'benign' (even though they said it would have eventually caused death) because it was not cancerous. Like I said before, a few years before her brain operation she had an ovarian tumour removed which also turned out to be not cancerous. These things, although apparently unlikely, do happen...

Closed Thread