It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board

• Brain Tumor Surgery soon

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
    Question Brain Tumor Surgery soon

Hi Everyone
    Long story short I was diagnosed with lung cancer and some metastasis in my brain. There is one in my occipital lobe quite big and the doctors are removing it next Wednesday, as the swelling etc may cause seisures or worse if it isn't removed. Fine, good, get it out of there....but....
    Has anyone else had this surgery to remove a brain tumor? Physical surgery that is... cutting, removing a peice of skull and cutting the tumor out?? Oh don't I wish they could use the gamma knife procedure!
    Just wondering how bad it is afterwards and what to expect, should I get through the surgery ok?
    The meds they have me on to prevent seizures, and the steroids for the swelling are making me feel awful, physically & mentally, so hoping these aren't something I'll need forever, but I'll do what I must. Just wondering about having something removed from my head...kind of scary stuff you know?
    Thank You
    Hellas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 05:27 AM   #2
    echidna24
    (male)

echidna24 HB User
    Re: Brain Tumor Surgery soon

Hi there, Hellas.

My very close friend has been through the ordeal of being diagnosed with TWO brain tumours, one after the other. Each time, they went in and removed it, and she's perfectly fine now! Its amazing how well the body heals itself... and the brain, remember we only use a small percentage of it =P

Good luck

Old 12-19-2006, 06:38 AM   #3
    bluebell22
    (female)

bluebell22 HB User

My husband had a brain tumour removed four years ago. We were both very worried about having to cut into his head and touching the brain but the operation took 4 hours followed by 24 hours in intensive care and then back to his room. He had no pain but did bleed quite a bit the second day. He quickly recovered and left hospital 5 days after surgery and is now fine.

Hope all goes as well for you, good luck

Blue

Old 12-19-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you Echinda and Bluebell!
    It's nice to hear positive stories on this one. I've been freaking out all day with the surgery tomorrow!
    I'm sure it won't be fun, but at least by this time tomorrow the surgery will be done and over with.
    Glad you both had such good results with you loved ones.
    Hellas

Old 12-31-2006, 01:43 AM   #5
    vinnie01
    (male)

vinnie01 HB User

Hi there Hell

I had an experience of craniotomy (cut skull remove the flap) but only for the temporal lobe side of the brain which was on the brain for most of my life but had seizures for 12 years until 7th dec 06 i had the operation to remove this brain tumour. Expect to get a rotten headache but that goes in time if u having a temporal lobe operation ie tumour resection, u also will find it difficult to open ur mouth wide. My operation took me 1 hr and 1/2 if u see the thread above from me, it will tell u what my tumour is as it turned out very rare and u will just get general aching on the skull, but while in hosp they will do different checks on u and may do physio to help u to walk but with a brain surgery it takes a long while to recover. Since weekend before 7th Dec i was working then since after the operation i wasnt then u will have follow up to check for re-occurences. My brain surgery itself was to stop the seizures not because the tumour may be cancer, mine is belived to be benign anyway.

Hope this helps
    Vincent

Old 12-31-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinnie01
    Hi there Hell

I had an experience of craniotomy (cut skull remove the flap) but only for the temporal lobe side of the brain which was on the brain for most of my life but had seizures for 12 years until 7th dec 06 i had the operation to remove this brain tumour. Expect to get a rotten headache but that goes in time if u having a temporal lobe operation ie tumour resection, u also will find it difficult to open ur mouth wide. My operation took me 1 hr and 1/2 if u see the thread above from me, it will tell u what my tumour is as it turned out very rare and u will just get general aching on the skull, but while in hosp they will do different checks on u and may do physio to help u to walk but with a brain surgery it takes a long while to recover. Since weekend before 7th Dec i was working then since after the operation i wasnt then u will have follow up to check for re-occurences. My brain surgery itself was to stop the seizures not because the tumour may be cancer, mine is belived to be benign anyway.

Hope this helps
    Vincent
    Hi Vincent
    Thanks for the reply. I actually had my surgery on a Wednesday morning and was home on Friday morning. The tumor was in my occiptal lobe and the doctor told my sister it was "superficial" so came out very easy. I guess I am blessed! I didn't need any pain meds or rehab or anything. Just got to go home. Since coming home I've been walking and doing small chores around the house...they won't let me lift anything over 10 lbs. The only residual effects from the tumor or surgery are some problems with my vision. They say that should return to normal...I just don't know when...been 11 days so far with no improvement. Maybe I'm being impatient??
    Glad yours was benign and hope it stops those seizures for good. I hate the anti-seizure meds they have me on, and I've never had a seizure! I guess I'll find out what type of tumor mine was on the 8th, but probably a metastasis like they thought. Hope and pray not, but we'll see.
    Good luck to you and thanks for the response.
    Hellas

Closed Thread