It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board

• Brain tumor??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
    chesteadman
    (male)

chesteadman HB User
    Brain tumor??

Help! I have a symptom I haven't really experienced before, a kind of pressure in my brain, behind my nose/eyes but further back... it's in the area of the brain you can feel when you yawn. I'm worried I have a brain tumor... This newest one has kept me up all night....

I have been experiencing some scary symptoms for several weeks now. I've seen two different doctors, the first one twice a week apart. The first gave me Ativan for managing anxiety. The second has gone along with that original diagnosis and also said that my symptoms could be from allergies, recommending Claritin in the morning and Zantac and Benadryl at night to deal with my sleeping disturbances. In addition, if these didn't work, he gave me Lexapro to deal with anxiety.

On to the symptoms:

It all started with a feeling of dizziness, almost lightheadedness. It wasn't the kind of dizziness that would make me fall; it was maybe more like disorientation.

Anyway, it has progressed. This original symptoms continued when I tried to sleep. I would have a hard time falling asleep and then would wake up several times in the night, sometimes panicked. Also, sometimes as I was falling asleep, I would jerk and wake myself up; I would also be scared because this seemed like something that shouldn't happen. It would take me a long time to get back to sleep when I woke up in the middle of the night.

New symptoms include feeling drowsy during the day, like the feeling one gets when just waking up except for a long time. This was sometimes accompanied by some big amounts of yawning. Also, this drowsiness combined with/caused a kind of brain fog, a feeling of detachment from everything around me that made it hard to focus.

Sometimes it feels like there's pressure in my sinuses, sometimes in the top of my head; sometimes the pressure is on the left or right side of my head, sort of a headache.

Finally, sometimes I shake, sometimes different muscles scattered around my body twitch a little (fasciculations).

I'm worried that this could be a brain tumor, though everyone around me insists it's just anxiety (mixed with allergies?) I'm scared and I don't feel good at all. What should I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Brain tumor??

just to ease your mind a bit here,the chances are much more likely that this is some other thing besides a brain tumor.most brain tumors would present with a more consistant type of headache pain than the symptoms you are actually describing.i think your best bet here at this point would be just to obtain an MRI with contrast and see a good neurologist to have your symptoms much more fully evaluated.this is what i would do in your posistion anyway.but honestly,i really doubt that what your describing would realistically be related to an actual brain tumor.it does appear tho from reading alot of posts on this thread that anytime someone has any "head' symptoms,brain tumor seems to be the first thing they think of.i guess its just a fear of type of thing.thinking the worst case scenerio type thing?

while this could be a sinus thing or some other neuro type issue,i don't think it would actually be what you are fearing most.but nothing is ever certain til you have the area looked at and evaluated.the chances that this is anything else BUT a tumor are much higher thats all.just get that MRI with contrast done and it could show some other abnormality or a nerve issue within your actual c spine too.the c spine and the head are very much intertwined within each other,so it is possible to have a nerve problem within the c spine that could trigger head symptoms.i have that too.just get this looked at more closely and go from there.try not to worry over this too much,your symptoms could indicate so many other less severe issues.please keep me posted on just what you find out,K?just keep a little list of your ongoing symptoms and what you were doing when they set in.this would really help the neuro when you see him or her.take care,Marcia

Old 05-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
    n9ne
    (male)

n9ne HB User

I always think like that to. I've been having headaches all the time lately and I think its a brain tumor. Most times tumors do present more symptoms than just headaches. Seizures, mental changes, eye problems, stuff like that. What i would do is ask for a CT or MRI. I had a CT done Friday to see what is causing my headaches and most importanty to me to rule out a brain tumor.To ease ur mind ask for a CT or MRI scan.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
    chesteadman
    (male)

chesteadman HB User

Ok thank you both for your input. I know for a fact that anxiety is involved, but I wasn't sure what originally started these symptoms. As I said, both doctors seemed to think allergies. This makes me lean towards allergy-related sinus problems. However, my allergies haven't been normal this year... i haven't had a stuffy or runny nose, really. That's why I started looking for other causes. To be honest, though, my sinuses often feel like they're affected. I'm not sure where to go from here, though. Allegra, Claritin and Claritin-D have all failed to remove symptoms. Benadryl also seems to have no effect. I was hoping the pseudoephedrine in Claritin-D would fix these problems, as it was one of the earliest things I tried, but it seemed to make no difference. Also, I was advised at my most recent doctor visit to avoid pseudoephedrine because it could contribute to anxiety and insomnia.

What to do...

Old 05-21-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

C man,are you seeing just your primary doc for this or have you ever actually consulted with an ENT doc?an ear nose and throat doc would probably be able to help you much more if this IS indeed a heavy duty type sinus issue,they just do this stuff everyday and have many more little "tools" up their sleeves to try and help with your types of symptoms.just a thought.but obtaining that MRI,really,it would be the best way to go for now.it would give a much more detailed look inside the sinuses and the brain,and would rule out or in any abnormailities that could be causing your symptoms,thats all.

n9ne,please keep me posted on what you find out too,K? Marcia

Old 06-01-2007, 12:11 AM   #6
    spidercomrade
    (male)

spidercomrade HB User

I continue to have problems. I saw my GP again today, haven't yet seen an ENT because I'm not sure about going about getting one. He didn't seem too certain of anything but gave me antibiotics for a possible sinus infection.

One of my most worrying stymptoms, which I am experiencing right now, is waking up after being asleep for an hour or two and feeling like my brain has "heaviness"... it's like being tired, but I feel very odd when I try to sleep. I feel kind of detached from my movement, like I'm slowed down and looking at myself through water. It's hard to explain but kind of frightening. I've not found anyone else who has this, perhaps because I'm not sure how to articulate it.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
    cerajoan
    (female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User

I recently saw my Dad go through a brain tumor. What you're describing is different from what he went through. Here are my 2 cents: First, suspect side effects from medications; they can cause really weird sensations, and taking a few new medications at the same time can really complicate things. Second, anxiety produces really strange sensations too. In Lucinda Bassett's anxiety course, she says to suspect anxiety when you're symptoms are weird. Finally, relieve your mind and get an MRI. Tell your doc you want one, period. This will help your anxiety over the thought of having a brain tumor and rule out the remote possibility that it would be one. They may want to do a cat scan first, whatever, insist on getting the brain tumor definatively ruled out -- get a new doc even. There's no reason to torment over something that you can rule out.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #8
    spidercomrade
    (male)

spidercomrade HB User

The doc says that if it hasn't cleared up in a week from when I saw him (yesterday), then he'll schedule a CT. He said that he didn't have any reason to suspect the need for CT, and the insurance company needs him to give a reason. I certainly hope that everything clears up, but the unusual and unfamiliar symptoms I have and the time this has lasted (4 or 5 weeks now?) are what have worried me.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
    cerajoan
    (female)

My Dad's brain tumor caused him to have loss of balance, visual hallucinations, headaches, confusion of speech, among other things. He did not have brain fog but he did have anxiety. He also had chronic sinusitis, and the brain tumor diagnosis was delayed because his headaches were attributed to that. From what I understand, headaches and loss of balance are classic for brain tumors, although most people who have these symptoms will not have a brain tumor. For myself, I've seen a lot of medical errors in my lifetime. If I'm concerned about something and my doctor doesn't address the issue to my satisfaction, I find another. That said, I really don't think you have a brain tumor, but I sympathize with the torment you're going through. For peace of mind, I would get it ruled out.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #10
    spidercomrade
    (male)

spidercomrade HB User

My prayers are with you and your family.

As for me, I have headaches, many of which seem to originate from the sinus area but also across the top of my head and the back of my skull. I also have scattered odd muscle twitching. No balance problems per se, but an odd sort of disequilibrium. The physician performed his basic neurological test, whether I could stand with my eyes closed, stand on one food, hold my arms out in front of me, checking my optic nerve, etc. I am on day three of antibiotics for a possible sinus infection, not a lot of noticable improvement just yet.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #11
    colo123
    (male)

colo123 HB User

Chesteadman, I am going through the exact same thing right now. A couple of months ago my ear "popped" and suddenly I felt disconnected, delayed senses, etc. I thought maybe I was having a stroke but a little research let me know that was not the case. For two months now disorientation, fighting panic attacks, weird twitches all over my body. My doctor told me to try Clariton D and recomended me to a ENT doctor sometime next week.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #12
    spidercomrade
    (male)

spidercomrade HB User

Just so everyone isn't confused, I am chesteadman... it seems I had already created an account on here earlier which my computer automatically logs onto.

I see your doctor also thought it might be allergies. It seems reasonable to me, my symptoms started around the start of allergy season this spring. But the allergy medications to this point haven't worked. I guess at the very latest I'll find out at the end of allergy season

Anyway colo, I'd be interested to hear what the ENT has to say. Keep in touch.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:00 PM   #13
    spidercomrade
    (male)

spidercomrade HB User

Something I've noticed -- I have trouble looking at things. As in... I can see clearly, my vision is neither blurred nor doubled. However, something is off in the way that I focus on things. It's how my vision gets when I'm tired, but lately it hasn't been going away. Perhaps that is at the heart of this matter.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #14
    cerajoan
    (female)

My Dad had vision problems but they were more like hallucinations. He'd see a car or a person that wasn't there -- then they'd disappear. As things progressed, it got worse -- he was seeing all sorts of things that weren't there. But these symptoms only manifested after the tumor was very large. His early symptoms were really just headaches and a slight loss of balance. His doctor blew it off as chronic sinusitis, gave him antibiotics, etc.. I can't help but wonder how different things might have been had he had a correct diagnosis early on. And the day before he had the MRI which finally diagnosed it, the ER sent him home saying he was having "anxiety attacks"! Again, the odds are that you don't have a brain tumor, but a definite diagnosis wouldn't hurt.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #15
    spidercomrade
    (male)

spidercomrade HB User

I have read that pretty much all brain tumors are initially misdiagnosed, due to their rarity and probably the doctors' wanting to avoid making their patients panic unnecessarily. I've seen 3 different physicians over a period of a month and a half and none seem too concerned. Most recently, last Friday, my doctor wasn't worried but said that he would schedule a brain scan for me. Also, he suggested an eye exam. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Closed Thread