It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board

• If you are dizzy & lightheaded 1 thing docs miss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
    Kasey443
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
    If you are dizzy & lightheaded 1 thing docs miss

I read many posts on here where people are dizzy and lightheaded and have had all the normal tests with no conclusion. I spent months going to the doctor for these same symptoms and many more including confusion, short term memory, head pressure, a feeling of floating, balance problems, forgetting simple words, etc. I really thought I was losing my mind.
    One thing I learned from going to the doctor for 6 months for this ( he thought it was a virus ) is that it is common to overlook what is called trigger points in the upper back and neck. A neurologist can check these. These are areas that are deep and near muscles that are in spasm. This is what was wrong with me. All the neuro had to do was put pressure on these areas and my symptoms came on. Physical therapy is what took care of all of my symptoms, not exercises, but soft tissue work where they massage the knots out. But many people think if they have no neck or back pain, then this is not the problem. My symptoms were so debilitating at the time that I had to quit my job of 6 years.
    If you get no answers and no relief please just have these trigger points check by a neuro. I helped a guy on here years ago who was diagnosed with meniere's disease a year before. He was still looking for answers when he came on here and didn't really believe what I told him but went to his neuro anyway and asked to have these areas checked. He had been suffering for a year with these symptoms and figured he'd try anything. His neuro did find that when these trigger points were checked his symptoms came on full force. He was then sent to a physical therapist who asked him to ask me what type of therapy I had and the guy went on to get better. I was happy he got help and he was happy he had this checked out.
    So if you get no answers please ask to have these checked out by a neuro. It can't hurt you and can only help. I was off work 6 months and going to the doctor all that time only to find out this was the problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kasey443 For This Useful Post:
    Kkid (02-19-2011),Leroyeastbay (02-05-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
    durkin
    (male)

durkin HB User
    Re: If you are dizzy & lightheaded 1 thing docs miss

I was very interested in your post. Have been having balance problems, lightheadedness, fatique, and even heart arrythmia the last year. Have seen all kinds of doctors, tests performed with no conclusions. Just went to cleveland clinic last week, also no conclusions. They have tried a host of drugs to cure me, no dice. It seems to be getting worse, but is very episodical, seconds, hours, or even days. Sometimes I can sleep it off. Chirpractor is working on my neck, took an x ray, it looked really compressed. Any chance I have what you do?? It only seems to happen when I am standing or in motion or turn my head. Sometimes feels like I want to pass out. I stubbornly go to work(in a steel mill) , and literally live in fear something will happen any time. Anyone with any ideas welcome.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
    Kasey443
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

Hi Durkin, it does sound like this could be your problem, especially with what your chiro. said about your neck compression. Along with this problem comes the muscle spasms and knots. A physical therapist can check you, ask to have your trigger points checked, and tell them your symptoms. Your symptoms really do sound like they may be a deep tissue ( muscle ) problem. Chiros can help but PT really helped me with the muscle problem in the long run. Let me know how you do and what you find out please.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
    durkin
    (male)

durkin HB User

Thanks for the quick reply. I just got back from nuerologist. I showed him your post, and he looked at xrays of my neck. He is scheduling a neck mri, I already had a head one done, and said if anything shows up will send me to physical therapist. He seemed to think there should be pain involved, but I see you did not. Did you figure this out through tests or just research?? Are you all better?? I hope so, I would not wish this on my worst enemy. It is tough to get through the day sometimes, seems it would be easier to lie in bed, but I do it plus exercise, I used to be a marathon runner before all this and it pisses me off that I cannot run like I used to. Very depressing. Thanks again.

Last edited by durkin; 03-23-2009 at 07:06 AM. Reason: mispells

Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
    Kasey443
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Durkin, it is best you see a neuro with neck compression, or anything to do with the spine at all. My original problem was caused by a car accident where I received whiplash, yes I had alot of pain, and all the other symptoms. Only a year or so after i was done with therapy, I overdid cleaning my house, and all the symptoms came back, but i didn't associate them with what I had before, so I went to my regular doc, and this is when I was treated for an inner ear problem, a virus, etc. I had to quit my job, that's how bad my symptoms were. What I did was I had a little pain in my neck and shoulders, and I rested thinking it would go away, it just progressed into other symptoms, ( dizzy spells, lightheadedness etc. ) but the pain subsided. Since my main symptoms were the dizziness and feeling out of it and so much time had passed, I had no idea this was the original source or the problem. This is when I went back to PT. Yes I am much better but if I overdo it again, I now recognize my own symptoms and rush to the PT!
    Sometimes people don't associate something they did with these symptoms, like changing jobs, heavy lifting, moving, exercising, it can be anything out of the normal for that person that brings the problem on, because they are using muscles in a way that they are not used to and this can put a strain on them. The symptoms can start out very vague, like a sore neck, shoulders, headache, etc. so the person thinks nothing of it and just rests and forgets about it, then these other symptoms can come on a week later very slowly, that's why many people think they didn't do anything, like get hurt, have an accident, so they think this can't be the problem. Any change in a persons lifestyle that can seem simple, can do it, if it is using muscles in a way that they are not used to, like i did when I cleaned my house. Good luck and let me know what you find out. I'm not saying this is always the case either, just something to have checked.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
    walkinthewoods
    (female)

walkinthewoods HB User

I just read your post and I have close to the same symptoms as you. Been to the Dr and sent me through MRI,MRA tests with negative results. Suggested I go to a Neurologist and I had my doubts till I found your post. I am going to call and get an appointment. I have been woozy, almost fainted, pressure in head and now a lump has appeared on the back of my lower part of my neck. I have hope now that this can be resolved. I feel sick to my stomach half the time. Will let you know what happens.I am so, so glad for this web sight!! It is great to share!

Old 04-04-2010, 02:48 AM   #7
    Kovacs
    (female)

Kovacs HB User

I went to a warm spa five weeks ago.I have been feeling dizzy and lightheaded now since that. I went to see a neurologist, for some reasons I had two VEP examination in two different health centers. One of tham was positive, the other is negative. I also had an MRI, where find sg, they told me very little thing. They said it can not cause dizzyness. Though I'm still not feeling well. anyone has any idea?

Old 04-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #8
    Kasey443
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Kovacs, I want to help but am not sure i understand your post. What is a vep examination? And what does sg stand for from the MRI report? Thankyou

Last edited by Kasey443; 04-17-2010 at 05:16 AM.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:15 AM   #9
    Kasey443
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Walkinthewoods, I just came across your post. I signed up to get alerts when anybody replies and did not get one. How are you doing and what did you find out from the neuro?

Old 06-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
    qualof
    (male)

qualof HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasey443 View Post
    I read many posts on here where people are dizzy and lightheaded and have had all the normal tests with no conclusion. I spent months going to the doctor for these same symptoms and many more including confusion, short term memory, head pressure, a feeling of floating, balance problems, forgetting simple words, etc. I really thought I was losing my mind.
    One thing I learned from going to the doctor for 6 months for this ( he thought it was a virus ) is that it is common to overlook what is called trigger points in the upper back and neck. A neurologist can check these. These are areas that are deep and near muscles that are in spasm. This is what was wrong with me. All the neuro had to do was put pressure on these areas and my symptoms came on. Physical therapy is what took care of all of my symptoms, not exercises, but soft tissue work where they massage the knots out. But many people think if they have no neck or back pain, then this is not the problem. My symptoms were so debilitating at the time that I had to quit my job of 6 years.
    If you get no answers and no relief please just have these trigger points check by a neuro. I helped a guy on here years ago who was diagnosed with meniere's disease a year before. He was still looking for answers when he came on here and didn't really believe what I told him but went to his neuro anyway and asked to have these areas checked. He had been suffering for a year with these symptoms and figured he'd try anything. His neuro did find that when these trigger points were checked his symptoms came on full force. He was then sent to a physical therapist who asked him to ask me what type of therapy I had and the guy went on to get better. I was happy he got help and he was happy he had this checked out.
    So if you get no answers please ask to have these checked out by a neuro. It can't hurt you and can only help. I was off work 6 months and going to the doctor all that time only to find out this was the problem.
    I have this same issue! Problem is trying to convince the medical establishment chiro isn't going to help. I have been to neuro's who say I should be on antidepressants. Top guy in his field at a top medical facility, so I need help. Please contact me me so we can start a dialogue and find a way to get me fixed up.

The following user gives a hug of support to qualof:
    cutiepie70 (03-25-2011)
    Old 06-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
    Kasey443
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi, I would love to help you. Can you tell me when your symptoms started, example such as new job, lifting heavy items, doing something out of the ordinary with your arms or neck, and if you have any tightness in your neck, shoulder muscles or shoulder blade area? You can check this by squeezing firmly on your neck, and shoulders, and then there is the area in your back at the shoulder blades, that when pressed, can bring on the symptoms also. I just had this same problem come on again, and suffered for a week feeling completely out of it, it didn't occur to me this was the cause because I was dealing with my back and legs. As usual, I had gone to the doc, who looked and checked everything else but this. I ended up finding it out by accident on my own. I went to rub my shoulder blade and found my muscles hard as rocks! I was so out of it every day, it didn't even occur to me that I was having the exact same symptoms as I had years ago. I even told the doc this the next time and she poo pooed it saying that wouldnt cause my symptoms, so I went on to tell her about what I went through years before. She put me on a muscle relaxer and antidepressant LOL!. They helped me sleep, that's all. I had to complain to the ortho about my neck and back and told him how I had to work on myself with a tennis ball just to alleviate some of the horrible symptoms ( which it did! the dizzy spells were terrible ) and I feel much better now and he sent me to PT, even asked me what type of therapy worked and I told him, ( myofacial release ) so I was happy about that. Now, tell me what's going on with you and I will do what I can to help you. I know what it's like to feel like that and it's terrible to feel this way all the time.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
    kelli65
    (female)

kelli65 HB User

i have the same symptoms for over a year now. i have had a spinal tap and was told that i have intracranial pressure , that my brain is producing more spinal fluid than it can absorb properly. i am waiting for the follow up with my neuro.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
    qualof
    (male)

qualof HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelli65 View Post
    i have the same symptoms for over a year now. i have had a spinal tap and was told that i have intracranial pressure , that my brain is producing more spinal fluid than it can absorb properly. i am waiting for the follow up with my neuro.
    happy about that. Now, tell me what's going on with you and I will do what I can to help you. I know what it's like to feel like that and it's terrible to feel this way all the time.[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes, yes to all your questions. It first started from sitting at the computer and doing some work. Came on strong, got diagnosed with Menieres, then with the anxiety/depression. Apparently you don't learn as much as one would think with all those years of schooling. The dizziness and being retarded went away eventually and now has returned two years later.

The issue is in my neck and I'm almost a hundred percent sure it's trigger point related (I can bring up that wonderful dizziness and confusion by rubbing on the easily found points in my neck). I discovered this myself and approached my doctor telling him what my treatment should be. Of course being a trained physician, he really had no idea what I was talking about. He sent me to a chiropractor who also didn't know what he was talking about and after a few assault sessions, I typed a query into google and found this thread, which validated what I was trying to explain to the doctors, and also gave me a sense of relief in that I knew I wasn't crazy. Pretty much the rest of the world thinks I'm making this up.

My need isn't so much a diagnosis, as much as it is convincing a doctor to give me the right treatment. If there is any recommendations you have about convincing a doctor that deep tissue massage, not exercises or adjustments, is the way to fix me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
    LHOPE27
    (female)

LHOPE27 HB User

Hi Kasey,

I have been reading your posts regarding your intial diagnosis of inner ear related problems and or viral origin causing your problems. I am 29 and have been dealing with dizziness, motion dizziness, along with feeling pressure in the base of my skull, neck and a generalized pressure?tension through out my head since i became ill in 2007. I also developed extreme fatigue.. unable to work. I was told inner ear, viral.. But since the onset of my dizzies my neck tightened up so much and the base of my skull and i can;t get relief. Not much pain associaited with other than headaches here and there, but the dizziness and visual distortion and mental spaciness limits me so much.

So I also feel the main problem now is my neck and head pressure so i am intrigued by your route of getting relief...

In 2007, within seconds my vision kind of went distorted, heart racing, panic like which was out of no where. The following weeks felt spacey, out of it, definately feeling like i had to much to drink.

I developed intense pressure in the head, neck and shoulders.. As a result of being dizzy i may never know. The point is, now over two years later, i still have this pressure feeling in the base of my skull and a feeling of headache all over but i can definately tell i have soar trigger points at times under the base of my skull, shoulders and btw shoulder blades. I also wake up feeling inflamed more, eyes puffy or pressure more in the morning. This is with me all the time.

All scans, lab work, blah blah tests ENt all came back normal. I have tried cranial sacral therapy, accupuncture without any relief. I was begininng to think maybe silent migraines without the intense pain, but i truly feel it is the neck causing my issues. I have never had an accident or anything. I have been told when you get dizzy it is common for the body to respond by tighetning the neck and after so long all these problems arise.

? is how do i undo them because time and resting and neck pillows isnt relieving it. I have also tried acupuncture with no help. I know I have to find relief on my own and your story really hits home.

I bought a book trigger point relief and try to do the techniques with the tennis ball myself. I don't feel the tender points anymore but still have the tightness at base of skull. My neck cracks a lot... inflammation from neck being off? Muscles all loecked up?

My question to you is what exactly were your treatments that helped you relieve the pressure? You mentioned soft tissue massage and myofascial release? IS that what did it for you?

I have gone one time so far for trigger point massage but i think i had her do it to hard and it flared the pain in the trigger points to much.I am going again and taking it slowly.

Were your symptoms with you all day long? were you able to drive and what i am asking is if you had visual distortion as well as part of your symtpoms. I describe it as eyes feeling pressure liked when you have a headache or after youve been crying so much your eyes are off. wobbly wavery like?

Thank you so much for trying to give us guidance! I look forward to hearing if trigger point massage was really the trick for you. thank you, Lisa

Old 06-15-2010, 05:11 AM   #15
    Kasey443
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Qualof, you are funny! You had me laughing my head off! Quote " Being a trained physician, he had no idea what I was talking about ". LOL! I needed a good laugh! A GP almost NEVER recognizes these symptoms as a neck problem, but a neuro. does, and a physical therapist who is trained in deep tissue massage or myofacial release does also. Did you try going to a neuro for just a consult to explain your problem? I helped a poor guy years ago who was also diagnosed with meniere's disease, 2 years later he found these boards, had been to doc, had all the tests, even neuros, I suggested he go back to his neuro, have the neuro check his trigger points, he did, and was shocked to have his symptoms come on full force when they were pressed, he was then sent to a therapist, who had him come back on here and ask me what type of therapy I had. He didn't have meniere's disease and went on to get better. I would suggest you call around and find a therapist who specializes in deep soft tissue work, see if you need to be referred, hopefully you do not. If you do, you need to see if you can see a neuro or ortho and ask to have your muscles checked, you can then tell either one what horrible symptoms come on when you check yourself. GP's have a habit of going deaf if you act like you know anything about what is going on with your own body, or if you mention the internet. When one doc does not listen, I would try a dif. doc, just take your records and say you would like a consult for a referral and then tell the neuro or ortho about how any pressure on these areas brings on the symptoms terrible. Physical therapy is always the first form of treatment for this after any other problems have been ruled out. It must be very aggressive treatment, not gentle, as alot of pressure is the only way to get these knots out. Good luck to you. I can tell you need this and hope you find what you are looking for. We all have to be our own advocates and docs half the time. Please let me know how your search and treatment goes.

Last edited by Kasey443; 06-15-2010 at 05:18 AM.

Closed Thread