It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board

• Just Anxiety or something more serious?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
    Cytosol
    (male)

Cytosol HB User
    Just Anxiety or something more serious?

I am a relatively healthy 27 yearold male. I was diagnosed with GAD when I was 18. It used to be really bad, but I have gotten it under control with cognitive therapy and now I rarely suffer from panic attacks. I do regularly suffer with that sort of contant on-edge feeling.. Like an Anxiety white-noise generator is following me around all day.

The reason I was concerned enough to post is that I have been having some seemingly more serious problems lately, namely dizziness. For the last few weeks, I have felt extremely dizzy several times throughout the day.. Especially when working out. I eat a nice big breakfast, jump on the elliptical and can't last 5 minutes without feeling like I will pass out. This dizziness comes and goes throughout the day, and it got REALLY bad today when I was walking home.

On my way home, I was overcome with a spinning sensation in my head and couldn't walk straight for about 5 seconds. It completely clouded my mind and I just about passed out after it happened. I barely made it home, and when I got home, I collapsed in my bed as the spinning and intense dizziness continued.

I was feeling quite hungry before this happened, but I have felt hungry before without such an extreme case of dizziness. I ate ravenously when I got home which seemed to help a bit, but I still feel very dizzy even now.

One other thing to possibly note is that I have been drinking alot more caffeine than I used to. I typically drink 5-6 cups of coffee a day.. Which doesn't exactly help with the anxiety, but it helps keep me awake and working. Could this possibly be causing these symptoms?

Also, I just got over a minor cold, but I don't know if that would have anything to do with it.

Thank you for any advice.. I don't know if it is just anxiety causing the symptoms or if there is something else going on. I have a habit of dismissing ALL strange symptoms as anxiety related, but this is getting so extreme that I am not so sure anymore..

The following user gives a hug of support to Cytosol:
    jpeaches (11-09-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
    calidreaming
    Veteran
    (female)

calidreaming HB User
    Re: Just Anxiety or something more serious?

extreme dizziness like that can be inner ear related. You may have a virus causing you Vertigo symptoms. It should pass, but you can get motion sickness meds from your doctor. But I am sure the anxiety is not helping the dizzy feeling. One kinda feeds on another!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
    shorebird
    Veteran
    (male)

shorebird HB User

I'd get checked out because it could be a virus or ear related like cali dreaming suggested. It could also very easily be a result of your increased caffeine in take. Keep doing the stuff you learned in your cognitive therapy as that will help keep the extra anxiety this is causing you under control.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
    spungy
    (female)

spungy HB User

I suggest getting checked out too...but only so they can rule out health issues.
    It Probably is anxiety though....and wow..I'd stop drinking coffee all together...thats what I did.....eventually you won't even need it.
    Try putting half decaf half regular..then slowly increase the decaf till it's straight decaf. Worked for me...
    coffee is so bad for anxiety sufferers!

Old 03-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
    Cytosol
    (male)

Cytosol HB User

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have gone 5 days without caffeine (also cut out sugarfree gum just to see) but I am still experiencing the same issues.. I am fairly sure this is anxiety related, since it comes and goes without warning.. Usually comes when I am worrying about it, and goes when I am distracted and not worrying about it.. I almost wish it was some ear infection, because this is getting pretty rough

Old 03-31-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cytosol View Post
    I was diagnosed with GAD when I was 18.
    Thats the problem. Now your GAD is manifesting itself to other problems. Thats the beauty of anxiety, when you get it under control in one aspect, it hits you in another way. Heart problems, brain tumors, you name it. Your brain adapts and makes you think you are dying from some unseen disease that even the best doctors can't find.

Last edited by msmod; 04-01-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Removed uncalled for comment. Disagreeing with someone is fine, but it MUST be done in a respectful manner. Ms_Mod

Old 04-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
    Cytosol
    (male)

Cytosol HB User

The dizziness was getting REALLY bad today, so I went to the clinic.. The doc told me it was an inner ear infection and gave me some stuff called Serc.. Supposed to help with the dizziness and vertigo. We will see.

During the checkup, she was concerned about the constant dizziness and decided to check out my heart.. She listened closely and determined that I might have some heart issues, but is probably just a heart murmur. I am scheduled for a bunch of further tests, so we will see. I guess it is good fortune that I went in when I did to catch something else incase it is serious.. She said a heart condition could be causing the dizziness also, or more likely a combination of both. I am not too worried, I have never had any real concerns about my heart since I keep in great shape.

Also, when she was checking my blood pressure, it was through the roof and she was quite concerned. I think this was caused by anxiety, because she asked me to hold my breath for a half a minute and then took the test again. She said it came down to normal again, so I guess anxiety caused it.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
    catheryn
    Veteran
    (female)

catheryn HB User

You are very right in that anxiety will cause your BP to skyrocket. When I'm on medication for my anxiety (that actually works properly), my BP is usually lower than normal (which is SURPRISING to my docs because I'm diabetic!), but when I'm off the ADs/Anti anxiety meds my BP shoots up (so, it'll go from 110/70 to 140/90 easily).

So I think treatment of anxiety, which is a psychological disorder is important because it manifests itself in physical ways!

Last edited by catheryn; 04-01-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Closed Thread