It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Brain Tumors Message Board

  • CT scan?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 03-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
    monkey5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    monkey5's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: US
    Posts: 1,468
    monkey5 HB User
    CT scan?

    Hi there, i have posted a few times and always have lots of ? Can, or will a CT scan diagnosis MS? I am having a CT done tommorrow! I am very nervous Okay let me know!
    Monkey
    __________________
    Live today like theres no tomorrow!
    Monkey

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 03-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: USA
    Posts: 13,200
    MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: CT scan?

    absolutely not. A ct scan will pick up things like pinched nerves, muscle issues and growths on an organ, but it can not pick up nerve damage/ lesions, etc.

    My CT scan was my first diagnostic tool when I had complete numbness and tingling in my hands, they were looking for a pinched nerve causing the problems- it showed nothing. My wonderful radiologist suggested I talk to my Neuro about an MRI, which showed 100% diagnosis of MS lesions a week later.

    Why are they doing the CT scan to begin with? Its not a diagnostic tool used for MS...
    Nikki
    __________________
    RRMS- dx 05

     
    Old 03-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
    monkey5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    monkey5's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: US
    Posts: 1,468
    monkey5 HB User
    Re: CT scan?

    Nikki, they are, myDr. anyways had it ordered because last year in March i fell on the ice. I mainly like backwards but mostly on my left side. Ever since that i started having muscle spasms in my neck, pain, stiffness, and severe headaches. The headaches have imprroved some, and i think really that the lyrica i'm on is also. I have had this feeling thats going on as well since then , possibly before that.It as if i can't think right, my words get all mixed up, i short term memory loss kinda and the biggy is the pressure i have like i have something on my head and it's not really painful just really anoying and i am always touch my head. So away she did with ordering the ct and if nothing shows she said it could be possibly along the lines of a Nerve/ Neuropathy thing going on. Now i wonder what will becomeof this. Do you think she will order an MRI if anything doesn't show up to verify the nerve being a possiblity? I may not have alot of pain also i was thinking due to the fact i take strong pain medication? Thanks for the reply! My hubby thought way back that i should have had it checked out due to falling and having the headaches! I should have listened but you know i never wanted to go to the dr. wth something again! It seems soetimes i live there!
    monkey
    __________________
    Live today like theres no tomorrow!
    Monkey

     
    Old 03-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
    monkey5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    monkey5's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: US
    Posts: 1,468
    monkey5 HB User
    Re: CT scan?

    Nikki, kinda confused

    as i found this in searching about Ct scan:
    A CT scan of the brain may be performed to assess the brain for tumors and other lesions, injuries, intracranial bleeding, structural anomalies such as hydrocephalus, infections, brain function or other conditions, particularly when another type of examination such as x-rays or physical examination are not conclusive.

    I don't know i just hope they figure out whats going on!
    Test will be tommorrow so should have results Monday!
    Monkey
    __________________
    Live today like theres no tomorrow!
    Monkey

     
    Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: USA
    Posts: 13,200
    MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: CT scan?

    Nikki, they are, myDr. anyways had it ordered because last year in March i fell on the ice. I mainly like backwards but mostly on my left side. Ever since that i started having muscle spasms in my neck, pain, stiffness, and severe headaches.

    Monkey, STOP READING THE INTERNET! You just wrote what I told you already and whatever you read is either outdated or just plain rubbish. CT scans are used for tumors, MUSCLES, headaches, hemotomas, to find abnomalities from a bump on the head or a fall, or a car accident (explaining why your doctor wanted to do one) HOWEVER it is NOT a diagnostic tool used for MS!! Please trust me on this!!!

    What the doctor is probably doing, is ruling out any kind of growth, abnomality or muscle issue by doing the CT scan....which isnt a bad thing to do; however if they dont find anything, yes, its quite probable that they will order an MRI of the brain and neck to check for more details.

    CT scans were available before MRIs were.....thus, some of what you might find on the net is really outdated....but since MRIs have been used for the past 25 years, they have become the tool of choice for looking for lesions. Keep in mind, that NOT ALL LESIONS ARE MS LESIONS. MS lesions arent going to show up anywhere but in an MRI, and even then, they dont always show, which is why we always suggest that you have it done with and without contrast....contrasting agent helps even the tiniest lesions show up!

    There is one more thing you need to remember: MS is diagnosed by ruling out everything else....therefore, any test that they do, which hopefully will show up as normal- is one step closer to a diagnosis! Its not a bad thing to have a CT scan done....that test is a whole bunch of nothing. You hold your breath for a few seconds, like an Xray- thats it...the MRI is significantly more invasive, shows a whole lot more detail and information- and takes considerably longer to do... go get the test and we will wait to hear what they say about it..
    Hugs
    Nikki
    __________________
    RRMS- dx 05

    Last edited by MSNik; 03-27-2009 at 06:30 AM. Reason: added more info

     
    Old 03-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Arizona, USA
    Posts: 9,812
    MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: CT scan?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkey5 View Post
    Nikki, kinda confused

    as i found this in searching about Ct scan:
    A CT scan of the brain may be performed to assess the brain for tumors and other lesions, injuries, intracranial bleeding, structural anomalies such as hydrocephalus, infections, brain function or other conditions, particularly when another type of examination such as x-rays or physical examination are not conclusive.

    I don't know i just hope they figure out whats going on!
    Test will be tommorrow so should have results Monday!
    Monkey
    Lesions of the myelin sheath are quite small. They are lesions, nonetheless. However, the lesions you discussed with regards to a CT, these lesions are much larger. For example, look at the planet Saturn and you will find that they only recently discovered another moon. Lesions appearing on the CT are like Saturn and the lesions discovered by the MRI are like the newly discovered Saturn moon.

    Now, as an exclusionary tool, I would not have any qualms about using the CT as long as you know that it could never determine whether or not you have MS. The CT is not in the gauntlet of tests used to determine MS. But you did mention a fall. Injuries from that fall would be indicated on the CT, but not any nervous system damage.

    Your results are Monday, but please keep in mind that the results will not cover your nervous system.
    __________________
    MS diagnosed since October 3, 1982
    MS onset circa 1977
    Proud to be MED FREE!
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

     
    Old 03-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
    monkey5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    monkey5's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: US
    Posts: 1,468
    monkey5 HB User
    Re: CT scan?

    Ms, i see your point here! I already got the test results back today. It came back negative. Now with my dr. thinking it could be neuropathic or nerve related should i request the MRI scan now? I can't stand the feeling i have and get and i believe the nurse is going to be calling me back on Monday to discuss what next as my dr. is very sincere with this. I am really going to be curious what then next step would be and why it would be nerve related and such!
    Thanks Monkey
    __________________
    Live today like theres no tomorrow!
    Monkey

     
    Old 03-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Arizona, USA
    Posts: 9,812
    MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: CT scan?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkey5 View Post
    Ms, i see your point here! I already got the test results back today. It came back negative. Now with my dr. thinking it could be neuropathic or nerve related should i request the MRI scan now? I can't stand the feeling i have and get and i believe the nurse is going to be calling me back on Monday to discuss what next as my dr. is very sincere with this. I am really going to be curious what then next step would be and why it would be nerve related and such!
    Thanks Monkey
    Since you are on a roll, I would definitely go for the MRI. You need to make sure you get the MRI with and without contrast.
    __________________
    MS diagnosed since October 3, 1982
    MS onset circa 1977
    Proud to be MED FREE!
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

     
    Old 03-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
    monkey5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    monkey5's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: US
    Posts: 1,468
    monkey5 HB User
    Re: CT scan?

    Thanks for all the awesome replies! I am very curious to this as they also found i have a different infection in my body as well. It could be joint related stomaches related ect. Gee maybe thats why i have been feeling like crap for a long time, but i know i as well let things go becaudse i always feel dr.s think i'm a hypocodriac so i kinda let myself go in regards to seeing dr.s because i'm sick of getting nowhere!
    monkey
    __________________
    Live today like theres no tomorrow!
    Monkey

     
    Old 03-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Arizona, USA
    Posts: 9,812
    MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: CT scan?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkey5 View Post
    Thanks for all the awesome replies! I am very curious to this as they also found i have a different infection in my body as well. It could be joint related stomaches related ect. Gee maybe thats why i have been feeling like crap for a long time, but i know i as well let things go becaudse i always feel dr.s think i'm a hypocodriac so i kinda let myself go in regards to seeing dr.s because i'm sick of getting nowhere!
    monkey
    A little knowledge, no matter how much, empowers us and frees us from the bondage of not knowing. A little sagacity combined with a little alacrity makes us powerful!!
    __________________
    MS diagnosed since October 3, 1982
    MS onset circa 1977
    Proud to be MED FREE!
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

     
    Old 03-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #11
    monkey5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    monkey5's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: US
    Posts: 1,468
    monkey5 HB User
    Re: CT scan?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
    A little knowledge, no matter how much, empowers us and frees us from the bondage of not knowing. A little sagacity combined with a little alacrity makes us powerful!!
    MS, i had to look up what a few of these words meant lol!
    I am trying not to assume or diagnos MS on myself, but gosh i sure do have alot of the problems and symtomsof this!And what gets me is all these little pieces keep popping up but it's not flagging one single dr. on it! I try to live life and be high on life but when these thing sget you down you can't help but investigate your avenues! And also if theres something that will treat it or help you cope with it, it has to maje it somewhat better!
    monkey
    __________________
    Live today like theres no tomorrow!
    Monkey

     
    Old 03-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: USA
    Posts: 13,200
    MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: CT scan?

    Monkey, sorry I couldnt log on sooner- bad day at work (so what else is new?) but I did catch up with you and read Jayhawks responses. I agree with him (as usual). You are on a roll....and quite honestly, I didnt expect the CT scan to show anything neurological. An MRI is the test you need to have...and since you are asking, make sure they give you an MRI with and without contrast- thats the die they inject into your arm during the test....it will "glow" any lesions which are MS like- and pick up the smallest of lesions which otherwise could be missed. You also want to have it of the brain and as much of the spine as you can convince them to do. 99% of lesions show up in the brain and C spine- but not always...you can have lesions lower, in the thoracic spine or Lumbar spine.
    If you are truly confident in this doctor, ask him flat out why he did the CT scan- and why he didnt jump right to the MRI....my guess is he was looking for something totally unrelated to MS. Now that he didnt find it, there is no reason not to look further.
    Good luck and keep us posted
    Nikki
    __________________
    RRMS- dx 05

     
    Old 03-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #13
    monkey5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    monkey5's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: US
    Posts: 1,468
    monkey5 HB User
    Re: CT scan?

    Nikki,(((((((((hugs)))))))I know one thing i am ithier going to get a phone call in on Monday if they don't call me! Something, not sure what is going on! And i as well need something again for the headaches. They come and go but when they come thier not fun. And the sensation is always there. I am having a hard time finding what one would experience remotely to the brain part of the ms other than they would find the lesions. I am just not sure what i am experiencing, and thats why i say it always leads me back here being left sided and all. This also causing problems with lifes activities, my kids and husband are noticing it.I am just not sure if what i have is halmark signs of ms. I think my Dr. is wanting to rule out everything else beforing jumping to the MRI but i will questio this it has to make you wonder especially her saying that it could be possibly Neuropathy related or nerve related because that is a halmark of ms right? I mean if she thought that i would have thought as well the MRi scan! I hope you can comprehend what i just said lol, sometimes i just can't explain what i'm thinking! I just want to get this figured out because i am on disability for this pain ect. and i am signed up to take college classes while i'm somewhat young and this is a real damper to take a test ect.!
    Thanks a bunch! Monkey
    __________________
    Live today like theres no tomorrow!
    Monkey

     
    Old 03-28-2009, 07:31 AM   #14
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Arizona, USA
    Posts: 9,812
    MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: CT scan?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkey5 View Post
    I just want to get this figured out because i am on disability for this pain ect. and i am signed up to take college classes while i'm somewhat young and this is a real damper to take a test ect.!
    Thanks a bunch! Monkey
    I was in the university when I was first diagnosed. I had to completely change my original intended career for something my neurologist said should be less stressful. Tests were a difficult deal because the studying alone, but also due to the fact that I was testing as a lefty because my right hand was not working. My university arranged my testing so that I could have assistance as well as more time if needed.

    Make inquiries of your university due to your disability. Most universities should, I would think, be able to accommodate your current needs. I finished my last year of college with the assistance of the state disability office. I am glad you are pushing forward with your life.
    __________________
    MS diagnosed since October 3, 1982
    MS onset circa 1977
    Proud to be MED FREE!
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

     
    Old 03-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: USA
    Posts: 13,200
    MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: CT scan?

    again, another great point from Jayhawk.
    Monkey, i was in my 2nd year of my associates degreee when I got my dx. Had just gotten married, just inherited 3 step children full time and was in the process of adopting them. My left hand and fingers went numb, my eyes went completely haywire on me- and it was ON- and I was terrified. I went on to an ivy legue college, where I graduated Valedictorian- then went on to do my MBA online- with voice recognition programs. Ive written thesis's and journals, have a major in Health Care Business Developement and a minor in Marketing- and have stated my Phd. I turned 40 last year. I also work 60+ hours a week.

    I dont recommend this path for just anyone! The stress alone has been almost more then I can bear these past few months...especially this past week- but the point is very clear ANYONE can SURVIVE AND EXCEL with MS or any other disease....its a battle of wills. And most important if you look for answers, youll find them. Not only with your health, but with your hardships. Some call it prayer, others call it will/ desire- some depend on a higher power to answer their call for help- others find inner strength and pull it from within...I happen to think its a pretty strong combination of the two, but no matter what you think- if you want to go to school- if you want to find a way to live with chronic pain (millions of people do,and dont go on disability) if you want to make something of your life- NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO DO IT BUT YOU. There is no easy answer to this.....

    Being in healthcare for the past 12 years- I can tell you that you DO have to be your own advocate. No one is going to push for answers besides you. And, doctors see hundreds of patients a week. I hate to say this, but its rare that youll find one who will even know who you are, without pulling out your chart. You have to push- push-push for answers and know when your body is telling you that something isnt right. If this doctor isnt going to do it for you, then find one who will..

    But more then anything. Make up your mind to be strong and not let this rule you. Sickness doesnt define us- we decide how much we let it affect our lives. My hero is my stepfather. He has lived with chronic Progressive Parkinsons for the past 10 years. He still works, although he has to use voice recognition software too. HE no longer can drive, and needs a stair chair to get up and down his steps- but he does 3 hours a day of yoga- spends time writing a novel (with voice recognition softwear) and wears a neck brace to keep his head off his chest. He also has specially made utensils to help him eat....and yet, he spends hours on the phone with me reminding me that I can surivive the bad days! He refuses to give up!! And because of him, I have the desire and stamina to push thru the really bad days. (some do call it stupidity though- its often not easy to do) .

    Do you get it? Do you see what Im saying? I think you do.
    We are here to give you support and help you find answers, but you need to control your own destination on this one.....sit down and talk to your doctor and explain that you deserve/ demand answers....sometimes, diagnosis does take a very long, very frustrating time...but sometimes, its the wrong tests being ordered.

    Hugs
    Nikki
    __________________
    RRMS- dx 05

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    what does cancer look like on ct scan kra53m Cancer: Prostate 6 08-27-2009 12:15 AM
    what if prostascint scan could not find cancer cells genpat12 Cancer: Prostate 3 11-22-2008 02:59 PM
    Dexa scan -- can they make mistakes? Jackie111 Osteoporosis 2 08-26-2008 10:04 AM
    CT Heart Scan - Does it yield useful results?? Beefsteak Heart Disorders 9 02-23-2008 05:37 PM
    Whats a PET Scan? mirandarose Lymphomas 2 09-06-2006 01:57 PM
    Please help!!! Lymphadenitis Diagnosed with Pet Scan futurehope Lymphomas 6 06-05-2006 09:50 AM
    Thyroid scan LIND Thyroid Disorders 7 01-28-2004 04:29 PM
    Question of CT scan w/dye The_Cheese_Man Cancer 2 01-08-2004 05:43 PM
    PET Scan vs. CT scan with contrast pentex Cancer: Lung 0 07-28-2003 07:44 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:00 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!