It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board

• Help i think i've got a brain tumour :-(

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-31-2014, 02:55 AM   #1
    dewing
    (female)

dewing HB User
    Help i think i've got a brain tumour :-(

hello can someone please advise me and put my mind at rest. I went to see a Neurologist on Monday, i am due to have an MRI scan next week. For the past 8 months i have been having dizziness/vertigo/frontal headaches/co-ordination problems etc and because the symptoms have not improved my GP has now sent me for further tests. I am petrfied that they will find something wrong so i will be on tenterhooks for the next couple of weeks. I have had thorough optician examinations and the optician told me that they can ususally pick up any signs of tumours but that hasn't really reassured me because i just don't 'feel right'. Can someone advise me if i should be worried it might be something serious? thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to dewing:
    quincy (11-09-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Help i think i've got a brain tumour :-(

Hi...firstly, have you been seen by an ENT for possible reasons you would be having dizziness?

Secondly, have you had blood testing done to check liver enzymes, vitamin d and all b, etc?

I can relate to your fears for the unknown and the possibilities....it's good you're having an mri. I have vestibular BPPV, sinus issues, neck problems...and all can affect my vision, balance and feeling off a lot of times.

One thing I do suggest is that you get a copy of any and all test results.

i do know a few people who have been diagnosed with brain tumours.....all benign. Two have had surgeries and are doing well.

The only thing you can do is wait for the results and make sure you have all other testing as to the why possibilities of your symptoms.
    Hang tough as best you are able. It's never a process without thinking the worst....unfortunately. please let me know when you have the mri.

q

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
    dewing (11-10-2014)
    Old 11-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
    dewing
    (female)

dewing HB User

I had my MRI scan on Saturday and am now on tenterhooks waiting for the results. i am paranoid that the phone will ring, i have been so on edge and worried today but so far (fingers crossed) no phone call. I don't think i will relax until a few days time. i was told i would get the results in the post so am working on the basis that no phone call means nothing serious - would you agree? thanks

Old 11-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi....good your MRI has been done. I don't know how long it takes for the radiologist to study the test and determine findings, then to send results to your doctor. I would expect it would take longer than a few days....it's never fast enough when waiting and stressed.

Do you not have an appointment for follow-up?

I hope all is clear for the results. Please let me know the outcome.
    q

Old 11-14-2014, 04:24 AM   #5
    dewing
    (female)

dewing HB User

I have still not heard anything about my results (5 days on) so i am really hoping that 'no news is good news'.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User

Your symptoms don't really indicate brain tumor to my non-doctor ears and 8 months is a pretty long time to go without something more definitive showing up I would think. The reason your eye doctor was saying they can often detect signs of a brain tumor is that they usually come with increased intracranial pressure which causes changes in the optic nerve. This increased pressure usually leads to the common symptoms as well of thunderclap headache often described as the worse a person has ever had, nausea/vomiting, behavior changes, seizures, visual changes etc. These can include some of the symptoms you mention but I think they could be described by other conditions. One thing that comes to mind is your diabetes. Is that under proper control?

When my nephew was diagnosed, he had crazy headaches as well as weird personality changes. The night before his first major seizure, he had rearranged the entire living room without remembering he had done it.

My nephew got the results of his MRI instantly. I would think that most Drs would let people know as soon as possible if there was something like a tumor. I'm not sure about the UK but in every place I've been in the US, a radiologist will review the MRI pictures for clarity, generally before the patient leaves, to determine if something needs to be redone. Generally speaking, tumors are not subtle on MRI especially if they have been causing symptoms for 8 months. If there were something there I would think they would either tell you or notify your Dr immediately. I think you are probably in the clear.

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckStr For This Useful Post:
    dewing (11-22-2014)
    Old 11-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'd suggest for you to call the doctor who set you up for the test. Ask if they've received the results as of yet.

q

Old 11-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
    dewing
    (female)

dewing HB User

Hi All. Well 2 weeks later and I am still waiting for the results from my Neurologist to come in the post. I have made an appointment to see my GP on Friday so hopefully I will get my results through him but I don't feel so anxious now as I think I would have heard by now if there was anything serious. Thanks all for listening to me. I will let you know my results when I get them.

The following user gives a hug of support to dewing:
    Dancing Cat (11-23-2014)
    Old 11-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Good plan and that your anxiety is eased. Looking forward to hearing the outcome. I still suggest you get a copy of the radiologist report.
    q

Last edited by quincy; 11-23-2014 at 09:06 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
    dewing (11-22-2014)
    Reply Reply