It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board

• Breast feeding and breast pumps! help mummies :)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
    tallgirl1982
    Veteran
    (female)

tallgirl1982 HB User
    Breast feeding and breast pumps! help mummies :)

I know this may sound silly but can you keep on breast feeding for a long time if you dont stop? when does the milk run dry? LOL!

Also by using a breast pump instead of actual breast feeding does the milk still last as long that way?

I was wondering as of course i will be breast feeding but think a breast pump would be more suitable for when i am not there, and anyway i would prefer to do it that way, dont fancy people watching me get my boobs out LOL!!

Thanks alot
    xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
    packerfan4ever
    Veteran
    (female)

packerfan4ever HB User
    Re: Breast feeding and breast pumps! help mummies :)

Hey tall girl! Some of my older friends have breast fed their children for over 2 years. (they did both breast and pumping) I have heard of women producing milk for up to 6 years. (And I am sure other people have heard more or less.)
    If you get a good pump, that uses the same type of suction that babies use, you can produce good amounts of milk. And it will have the same benefits as if you were feeding yourself.
    I myself plan on pumping more than doing the actual feeding because with my other dd's, I got SUPER sore and had to quit sooner than I would've liked. I want to go as LONG as I can. My milk "dried up" after 2-3 weeks of NO stimulization. Hope this helps somewhat...even though we are in the same boat to an extent!

Old 02-22-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
    tallgirl1982
    Veteran
    (female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

Thanks alot! i was thinking of those electrical pumps. I dont work so i could sit there allday doing it! LOL!
    Says you can freeze the milk up to 3 months anyway so i hope to get a good freezer full!
    Hope it works for me as i would really like to breast feed as its so much better

Old 02-22-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
    tomuchbagange
    (female)

tomuchbagange HB User

I have a question. If you don't work why do you want to pump? There would be less waste if you just breast feed and its a good bonding time for you and baby. Use the pump if you are going out in public or something. I breastfed my daughter for 6 months, pumped while I was at school and work and fed her when I was home. Once you get the hang of it you can do it without anyone seeing anything, plus I think it has become much more excepted and lots of public places have a lactating room if you need privacy. I stopped because pumping was a pain, much eaiser to just feed her myself, but I had school and work and it was easier to stop. Either way you made the right choice to breastfed!

Old 02-22-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
    mommaboyz
    Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Hello Breast milk will not dry up as long as your still extracting it. My midwife told me that pumping alone will make your milk dry up fast it doesnt produce enough stilimuation. Im going to try and pump alone and see what happens. I dont think I will feel comfortable breast feeding but I still want to try and use breast milk.

Old 02-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #6
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User

I don't think that not working is a reason not to pump. Personally, I am going to breastfeed as well, but I am going to pump at the same time, so that DH can feed him too, and if I am not home for more than 3 hours, i don't have to worry about him eating.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:02 PM   #7
    jenn.e
    Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

I am also going to do both. I want some stored in the freezer "just in case". I think It will make it easier if dh and I want to go out we can leave baby with Grandma and know she will be fed, or if I get sore I would like back ups.

Closed Thread