It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board

• breast feeding/breast pump?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2005, 12:16 PM   #16
    asako
    Inactive
    (female)

asako HB User
    Re: breast feeding/breast pump?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissChicopea
    Dizzy girl touched on something that is really important. Your own calmness during all of this. Your baby will feel your tension and will become more agitated and fussy during these sessions.

As for the pump, It takes me about 5 minutes per side, but like I said, I have a heavy supply.

A couple of questions about your baby's feeding habits.

1. Do you wait for him to start crying to feed? NO...i try to start before hand, or i wake him at feeding time

2. Do you ever try to offer your breast before he starts rooting and sucking on his hands? YES...but sometimes its hard because he is not interested in sucking on anything! he's more interested in looking around so i usually wait a few minutes and try again.

3. Do you have any sort of feeding ritual? YES...Diaper change, and then start trying to feed

4. Where do you feed? A nice quiet place? In front of the TV? In a rocking chair? quiet place...either in the bedroom or on a comfy chair i have...

5. Do you express a little milk before hand so that it's flowing or so that it doesn't flow to hard when it lets down? I express a little milk by hand just so that he knows it's there. once my flow starts going, its a good consistent flow. he's gotta suck a little to get it really going

6. Do you have flat nipples? Is it hard for him to latch on due to that? i think that he has a hard time latching because he was born at 34 weeks. his mouth is still so tiny and my breasts are HUGE! even if he does latch on, its difficult for him to get a proper latch because of the size of his mouth and my breasts.

7. Do you use pacifiers? ( may want to stop for a bit due to nipple confusion as well ) absolutely no pacifiers. the biggest obstacle is the artificial nipple from the bottle
    im almost ready to give up! i do remain calm while trying to feed him...if i continue to allow him to suck when he feels like it and continue to pump, will my milk supply continue to be ok? one of my friends toldm e that if you strictly pump you dry out faster...i just want to be able to offer my baby the best milk possible. i still have not purchased a pump for fear of drying out or not being able to keep up with his demand...as it is, he takes in 3 oz every3-4 hours...

thanks so much...it's such a frustrating time for both of us...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread