It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board

• Anyone Else with Sore Knuckles from BreastFeeding?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
    muffintop
    (female)

muffintop HB User
    Anyone Else with Sore Knuckles from BreastFeeding?

Hello, first time posting on this board, yeah I finally made it . My son is 1 week old yesterday and luckly we have been able to breast feed with only a few minor complications that the hospital lactation consultant was able to help me fix. We found the football hold to be the easiest for us to latch on and stay on, so that is all we have been doing for both breasts.

My complaint today is my knuckles (index and middle on both sides), they are raw, starting to crack, and getting so sore . I can only assume it is from holding his head while resting the back of my hands on the bed blanket, bobby, or soft dish towel. The past three feedings I have tried to focus on lifting his head up a bit to help let air between the knuckle and whatever is below so it doesn't rub. Another thing is we have been washing our hands much more often - not that I am some type of clean freak, but common sense to wash after changing his diaper or before feeding him. I have stopped rubbing the back of my hands and just blotting with a towel to dry after washing them.

Anyone have a suggestion on what lotion/ointment to use that would help the redness and cracking? Baby lotion just stings.

Thanks!
    Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
    Spanish
    Veteran
    (female)

Spanish HB User
    Re: Anyone Else with Sore Knuckles from BreastFeeding?

Congrats Kelly and welcome to the board!

I haven't had this problem but wonder whether some sudocrem or other nappy rash creme would help? It is antiseptic and designed to heal all sorts of skin complaints and as a barrier cream it may help to stop your knuckles drying out.

Spanish

Old 11-08-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
    lex jude
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lex jude HB User

I use the lotion "look ma, new hands" from bath and body works for my hands...I know what you mean with the washing every five minutes. It seems my hands are raw from constantly having to wash them. But that lotion has paraffin in it, so it'll help. You can also try to wear soft gloves to bed...they sell special lotion gloves that you can rub lotion on, put th egloves on and they keep the lotion sealed in there.

Plus, as for the nursing issue, try getting anotyer pair of soft goves (or use the same kind) so your skin won't be rubbed raw. Like maybe fleece, or something. It'l' also be soft on baby's head too.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
    Gayle0000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I breastfeed also. I never had that problem, but I did have terrible cracked & dry hands in the early days from washing so much, and I think just overall body changes. I was using vaseline on my hands. I'd make sure I put it on on the evenings before I went to bed, and every once in a while during the day. Good luck.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:55 PM   #5
    muffintop
    (female)

muffintop HB User

Thanks everybody for the suggestions , I put a bit of neosporin ointment on the raw spots earlier and I think that helped a bit. I will probably send DH out to get that lotion lex jude, he has been comlaining of dried hands too (not cracking though). And I like the idea of lotion gloves at night. I think it is probably a combination of both breastfeeding and the increased washings that is causing this discomfort.

Old 11-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #6
    Elliesmom
    (female)

Elliesmom HB User

I have found that the "Norwegian Formula" hand creme by Neutrogena worked best when my hands were dried and cracked.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #7
    MissChicopea
    Veteran
    (female)

MissChicopea HB User

Is it possible to get him in a position so that you don't have to hold him from behind his head? I had to do the football hold with DD in the beginning because I have large breasts. Once we mastered that position I was able to position her so that I only had to have my arm along side her and her head would rest on the nursing pillow itself. Have you tried that at all? What other nursing positions have you tried? Once you master football, maybe you can try another hold to ease the pain a bit.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:43 AM   #8
    muffintop
    (female)

muffintop HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissChicopea
    Is it possible to get him in a position so that you don't have to hold him from behind his head? I had to do the football hold with DD in the beginning because I have large breasts. Once we mastered that position I was able to position her so that I only had to have my arm along side her and her head would rest on the nursing pillow itself. Have you tried that at all? What other nursing positions have you tried? Once you master football, maybe you can try another hold to ease the pain a bit.
    I have to admit I haven't really expiremented much with other positions. I have attempted cradle but my larger breasts have hindered him latching on as well. My first L Leche L meeting now that DS is here is next Wednesday, and I will ask the meeting leaders for assistance. Still, my knuckles are starting to feel better with the lotion, lifting his head, and just blotting when drying my hands - they just still look bad.

Closed Thread