It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board

• Breast Feeding and Menstrual cycles

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
    muffintop
    (female)

muffintop HB User
    Breast Feeding and Menstrual cycles

Hi Everyone

A little background: DS is 4 months and we have been exclusively breast feeding. I returned to work 2 months ago and have been dual pumping with a medela breast pump. He gets 4oz bottles about every two hours during the day and I breast feed him when I am at home. 6 weeks after his birth I chose to go back on the Depo shot for birth control and within the week of the shot I had a "normal" period. My shot is due around mid March and I started to spot 10 days ago.

I noticed this past Monday that my "normal" out put of pumped milk has decreased. I usually will get about 8 to 10 oz (total) out of both breasts for my 10 am pump but my 2 pm production has gone down tremendously from 4 to 6 oz (total) in the afternoon to just 2 to 3 oz together. So now I have having to dip a little in my frozen supply - which there is plenty of but you all know how we worry.

Here is the poser= does having your period affect your milk supply?

I am sure this is just temporary but I am sure I just need reasurances. And if my supply hasn't improved by next monday I guess I will just start pumping 3 times a day (10 am, 12 noon, and 2 pm) instead of just 2.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2006, 04:41 AM   #2
    roxyfoxy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxyfoxy HB User
    Re: Breast Feeding and Menstrual cycles

I would say the shot is affecting your milk supply, not your period. Didn't your doctor warn you about birth control and what methods were best during nursing? If I were you, I wouldn't get the March shot. Seems your milk has decreased drastically. It may dry your milk up.

Kudos to you for all of the pumping, its hard work I am sure.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:28 AM   #3
    10kDilsey
    (female)

10kDilsey HB User

I pump almost exclusively now and I have found that my supply fluctuates at times depending on what I eat and drink and how much.

I don't know if you have tried this, but I have found that drinking lots of water helps greatly. I have also had a lot of success when I eat more dairy products, take my prenatal vitamins, and pump more frequently (though I understand that when you are working this may not be possible.) If I get busy and don't eat enough my production will drop quickly.

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
    muffintop
    (female)

muffintop HB User

I really don't think the depo itself is the major cause of my dip in supply issue. My doctor and I discussed my bc options at length prior to the shot which I chose because of the lack of estrogen (which can diminish your supply). And it is at the end of my 3 months, I would have thought if the shot would affect me it would do so in the beginning when the concentration is stronger.

Now that I think of it I do belive I have kinda dropped off on my water drinking. I have caught myself drinking more sodas recently. I also decreased my milk intake (I upped my supplimentation of calcuim for myself) because DS was having some gas issues.

Thanks for the suggestions ladies, again I am sure that everything is fine just need that little boost from other women going thru the same stuff.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
    shelliam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

shelliam HB User

I think your period could have something to do with it because your horemones are changing. If it gets too bad call your doc and see.

Closed Thread