It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board

baby wont settle at night!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
scoobylou22
(female)

scoobylou22 HB User
baby wont settle at night!

My baby is 2 weeks old and for the past few nights he just wont settle at night he just wants to feed all the time. He feeds for about half an hour then falls asleep at the breast, i put him in his basket and within about 5mins he's making loads of windy noises, if i get him out and wind him he just starts looking for the boob again!!! Ive tried winding him straight after a feed but it just wakes him up too much and he wont settle anyway. Ive tried giving him a dummy but he dosn't like it so that was a complete waste of time, ive tried warming his basket up with a hot water bottle before he goes in, ive tried more covers, less covers, swaddling i just hope this aint gonna last coz im just knackered. I breast fed my daughter 17mths for the first 5 mths so i do have some baby and BF experiance but i can't remember it being this bad last time. help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
pupcake
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: baby wont settle at night!

My kids were really bad sleepers & breastfed, so I'll let you know what I tried

1st: At 2-3 weeks babies go through a growth spurt and nurse frequently to build up your supply.

When you say winding I assume it is what we call burping (sorry I live in midwest US) Does he seem uncomfortable when you don't burp/wind him? I didn't burp my kids because it it would wake them up and make them throw up. They were fine without burping. You could try that.

Both kids would wake up as soon as I put them in the crib/bassinett. DS would stay asleep only after he was old enough for me to put him on his stomach.

With DD (the 2nd) I caved early, I would nurse her lying down on a bed in her room and when she fell asleep I would slowly move away & go into my room. Sometimes I would fall asleep in her room & she would wake me up when she was hungry again. (that actually worked really well since I was working full time- I got a lot of sleep & she slept better too!)

Just some suggestions, hang in there-

Pup

Old 12-05-2010, 03:15 AM   #3
someonetellme
(female)

someonetellme HB User

Hi there, I would suggest frequent burping through the feed and then finish off with a small feed. Have you considered co-sleeping? Although! Self soothing is a better habit than being put down to sleep.

As long as you or your partner do not smoke or take any medication this is a safe option, keep adult pillows and duvets away from baby. Otherwise you can have the moses or a dropped sided cot right beside the bed for the same affect.

To teach self soothing (its not controlled crying!) You feed your baby until they are nice and full, till they fall off the breast. Burp and make sure dry for bedtime, then give them a nighttime routine, a cuddle, a song? a gentle rock....just until there eyes start to drop. BEFORE there are actually sleeping, put baby in, put hand beside and stroke or just rest hand on chest or similar so they know you are there, gentle rocking of there body sometimes helps. And let them fall asleep in there own bed/space. This prevents them waking up wondering what has happened.

For an extra sleeping baby, cluster feed from 6pm - every 15-30minutes and wake baby every hour from morning till bedtime to get them into a natural routine of sleeping through

Good luck! x

Old 12-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
ASDGRMama
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Aww, I'm sorry you're having some night time difficulties! Those first few weeks can be bumpy .

How is he doing now? It does sound like he was maybe hitting his growth spurt a bit early (usually around the 3rd week and then again at the 7th week) .

If he's still having some gassiness I would consider eliminating dairy from your diet for a while to see if it helps. Does he spit up a lot?

It's not for every one but we have always brought our babies to bed with us...it has just been the easiest way for all of us to get sleep . We've never had problems transitioning them to their own beds and they've never had sleep issues.

I sure hope this has resolved for you and your little one is contented so you can get some needed rest!

Take Care!

Old 12-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
9na
(female)

9na HB User

Babys are very different - different needs, basically.

My yongest one needed lots of skincontact and also milk at night for several months - so we co-slept. I wouldn't have missed it for the world - in fact i really missed her in our bed for a long time when she started sleeping in her older brother's room at abour 16 months
So if it's safe for you (not smoking etc) I would give it a go

Old 12-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Misty800
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

It is possible to have plenty of breast milk, but, it may not be satisfying your son. Have your milk checked, it may not be rich enough to satisfy your son.

I nursed 5 babies and had this problem.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
WhiskersOnKittens
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800 View Post
It is possible to have plenty of breast milk, but, it may not be satisfying your son. Have your milk checked, it may not be rich enough to satisfy your son.

I nursed 5 babies and had this problem.
I'm almost 100% sure this isn't the problem... Your milk is just fine for your baby.

He just needs you, mama. I would suggest giving co-sleeping a try. Then you can nurse him while you sleep as well. It saved my sanity with my ds. Also, I woudn't worry about trying to burp him during the night. Breastfed babies have significantly less gas than bottle fed babies, and they don't need to be burped as often.
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Closed Thread