It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board

breastfeeding hard stop

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
whiteher
(female)

whiteher HB User
breastfeeding hard stop

getting ready to stop breastfeeding my 18 month old son. I've been on the couch some days he was born. together we developed a bad habit of nursing to sleep. It has been a nightmare trying to get him to sleep any other way. Recently however I have been able to nurse him to sleep and travel him two his bad where he sleeps an hour to two hours at a time before waking up. He's not yet slept a full night through. From day one I tried all the tricks I've ever read about or heard from friends and relatives on her to get him off of me and sleeping on his own. None of them were successful. I finally got to a point where I just need to do a hard stop with him and just tell him no more all done. Looking for advice on how to deal with any pain and encouragement that I will have and maybe some helpful tips on how to help us to cope with this big transition. I've suffered from prolapse since he's been born and have already had one major surgery, I'm getting ready to schedule for a second and I would really like to have this under control as much as possible for my recovery. I am very proud that we made it to the 18th month mark. but I think if I left it to him to wean he would be on me until he's 4, lol

The Following User Says Thank You to whiteher For This Useful Post:
mtboy (07-07-2014)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
mtboy
Inactive
(male)

mtboy HB User
Re: breastfeeding hard stop

I said thanks and you should be very proud that you breastfed for 18 months. The lonst we have for our children is little more than a year.

The way we stopped it by gradually introducing other foods in addition to breastfeeding. Also introduction of passifier helped as well.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
kanded
(female)

kanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB User
Re: breastfeeding hard stop

I agree with you. This happened to me when my son was 18 mths old also. From the moment he was born til I stopped nursing him, I would have to nurse him to sleep. But then when I would go put him down to sleep or even if I nursed him on the bed til he went to sleep and I went to get up, the little bugger knew it and would wake up the second I got up. So it was miserable for me, fun for him. When he knew enough to say " I want milk!" and scream it across the room, I decided then and there that he was ready to be weaned.
So, I think its the same kind of thing as bottle weaning, in fact, I wouldn't introduce at this late point a bottle or a pacifier as neither of those are ultimately healthy habits to have, and then it adds one more transition point. We went cold turkey, and my son was unhappy, but he learned other methods of calming himself. Dad had to snuggle him more during the night, and also I had other people help me when Dad wasn't there. Because if you hold him, he is going to want to nurse. At this point, its not so much a food thing, as a comfort to him that you nurse him, so he has to find another way of being comforted. He should already be eating quite a bit of food by now, and he can start drinking out of a cup any kind of milk you want to give him. It can be cow, rice or soymilk, there's a lot of options. But I would choose a sippy cup because these are skills he needs to be learning anyway. He may not want to drink the milk at first, and throw a fit. My son wouldn't drink milk for about 3 or 4 mths. But the dr. said he was fine, because he was eating lots of other foods. After about 3 nights, my son would just sleep the whole night through, he didn't even wake up to nurse anymore, because I explained to him he wasn't getting any. He actually started eating more food, and sleeping better.
So who knew? Best of wishes with your son.

Reply Reply