It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board

Breastfeeding Mom

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
Ashley722
(female)

Ashley722 HB User
Breastfeeding Mom

So I am a breastfeeding mom. My son is 5 and 1/2 months old. I introduced formula for supplementation when he was about 4 and 1/2 months old. When I got pregnant I set a goal of exclusively breast feeding for 6 months. I only introduced formula due to the fact that my son ate alllll the time and when I would pump I was barley getting an ounce. So he only got formula like before bedtime and when we we're out and about. Now when I pump i get like 5 ounces. Now I am trying to only breast feed in the morning when he first wakes up and at bedtime. But the reason for this post is because I am trying to find ways to ween my son from breast feeding. I know that it's a process and I don't want to just take it away completely I enjoy the bonding time and the comfort I can give him from it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks xoxo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
KickinIt23
(female)

KickinIt23 HB User
Smile Re: Breastfeeding Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley722 View Post
So I am a breastfeeding mom. My son is 5 and 1/2 months old. I introduced formula for supplementation when he was about 4 and 1/2 months old. When I got pregnant I set a goal of exclusively breast feeding for 6 months. I only introduced formula due to the fact that my son ate alllll the time and when I would pump I was barley getting an ounce. So he only got formula like before bedtime and when we we're out and about. Now when I pump i get like 5 ounces. Now I am trying to only breast feed in the morning when he first wakes up and at bedtime. But the reason for this post is because I am trying to find ways to ween my son from breast feeding. I know that it's a process and I don't want to just take it away completely I enjoy the bonding time and the comfort I can give him from it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks xoxo
I breastfed my children until they were over a year old. Is there a reason that you want to stop already? There are SOOO many benefits to breastfeeding I don't understand why people want to stop so early. When I did end up weaning, I took out one feeding at a time and waited about a week to pull another. Hope that helps! Good luck!

Old 03-29-2015, 06:54 AM   #3
EB003
(female)

EB003 HB User
Re: Breastfeeding Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickinIt23 View Post
I breastfed my children until they were over a year old. Is there a reason that you want to stop already? There are SOOO many benefits to breastfeeding I don't understand why people want to stop so early. When I did end up weaning, I took out one feeding at a time and waited about a week to pull another. Hope that helps! Good luck!
I agree that it's great to go on I stopped at 15 months and it was super easy going with her (she was active and on table food)....Also pay attention to your life events and whether or not your child can feel the stress going on....Otherwise he'll just want to breast feed even more. So timing helps as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to EB003 For This Useful Post:
KickinIt23 (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
rhlove24
(female)

rhlove24 HB User

Every mom is different and you should do what suits your family. We all know breastfeeding is beneficial and I am sure that is why you've done it (=

I breastfed for a short period of time because it was what I was able to do. To wean, I did more and more bottle feedings every few days. Also - you can still do bottle skin to skin (just leave your top off) to give baby the smell and feel of you while learning that bottle is ok (=

Hope this helps!

Old 04-10-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
Thisthishehe
(male)

Thisthishehe HB User

Hi Athena, No, those bumps are called Montgomery glands and help to prevent cracking on nipples because they secrete oil. Most moms make more than enough milk for the baby. Welcome to healthboards!

Old 04-13-2015, 02:15 AM   #6
lpete301
(female)

lpete301 HB User

Your beautiful baby has already had a bottle and you are so close to the 6th month. It shouldnt be too hard to wean back to it. Just end breastfeeding and go all bottle. Pump for a while to keep up the flavor of it. And yes it is best to go a minimum of 6 months of breast feeding, but if you can do it by pumping and bottle feeding the breast milk till you hit whatever time you choose, your almost there. There are alot of people who say breast feed as long as you can or its bad... But You have done really good! Dont be afraid to stop. But for your health (besides your baby's) you may want to go slow and keep pumping, but cut down slowly. Otherwise you could end up over full and in pain. Really if you are ok with pumping when you want and bottle feeding the breast milk that would be great you can supplement with formula and by pumping you know exactly how much baby takes. I wish I was able to do that (bf past 6 months, but due to my own health issues I wasnt able to). But either way you should talk to your doctor and your Pediatrician about the best way to wean off... for both of you...

Last edited by lpete301; 04-13-2015 at 02:24 AM. Reason: wanted to add more info

Old 05-05-2015, 01:56 AM   #7
Sarah92ali
(female)

Sarah92ali HB User

Will be breastfeeding for the first time in while from now. I got so many ideas. thanks for this board was helpful.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:27 AM   #8
Zara90
(female)

Zara90 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley722 View Post

Thanks xoxo
You should breastfeed your child for at least first 6 months for his healthy life. It will helps your child as well as you in many ways. You can stop breastfeeding slowly. Till then Breast feed him and enjoy the bond with your child. Good luck.

Reply Reply

« Difficult husband | - »