It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board

Tips for home care of Deep Partial Thickness burn

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
Globalastro
(male)

Globalastro HB User
Tips for home care of Deep Partial Thickness burn

I managed to get a decent circumferential deep partial tissue burn to my ankle and am looking for home care tips for between my many doctors visits.

The office I am going to has been very nice and all but somewhat lacking and unable to give me tips on how to better care for it at home.

The burn happened 12 days ago in which time I have been to the hospital (useless) once and doctors 8 times so far for management and cleaning, but now that I'm handling the dressing changes at home, I am lacking in advice.

The office would like me to start airing out the burn at least an hour a day to allow the eschar/scabbing to harden for easier debridement but I barely made it 10 minutes due to the pain yesterday. As the air hits it, I can feel the skin tightening and drying and any movement of the ankle at that point is excruciating. Being that the burn is actually healing rather well, they will do nothing for pain management except OCT medications (600mg Ibuprofen every 6 hours for swelling and 1000mg acetaminophen as needed for pain).

Are there any tips on how I can do this in a more controlled manner such as somehow restricting the open flow of air to make the drying out a little more gradual?

Also, drying seems counter intuitive due to the fact they have me in physical therapy to attempt to save the elasticity of the skin for the high risk of scarring. I would think that drying the wound would actually restrict mobility (and notably so for my OR exercises).

When wrapped, I use 4 slightly overlapping 8x3 and 1 3x4 non adhesive pads with a thin layer of silvadene which are also starting to stick after a while. Any and all tips and advice would be helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply