It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board

Treating stab wounds at home

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
FCBASGICD
(male)

FCBASGICD HB User
Treating stab wounds at home

I accidentally sat on a knife and sustained a 1/2 inch injury on my left inner thigh. I removed it immediately and sprayed it with gold-bond disinfectant, then covered it with gauze and wrapped it snugly, but not to tightly with some tape. from what i can see, the bleeding isn't too constant when covered, and now i am icing and elevating it. are there more steps i should take to properly treat it without having to go to the doctor/hospital?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Treating stab wounds at home

Was the knife clean? You may need a tetanus shot. If the knife was a kitchen knife and had bacteria on it or if it was a pocket knife that could be dirty- you dont want to take any chances on infection....

Is the cut clean or is it jagged? Stitches may or may not be required to close the wound properly so it heals..

I would go to an urgent care just to make sure you have it all under control, but that is just what I would do. Gold Bond doesnt have antibiotics in it, so you really dont know if this has potential of getting infected.

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
FCBASGICD
(male)

FCBASGICD HB User

the knife was a brand new, never used knife. I switched from Gold Bond to neosporin and the wound is curently covered with gauze and snugly attatched with a ring of tape around my leg.

the cut is clean and not wider than the diameter of a penny.

Last edited by FCBASGICD; 08-26-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

That's a good thing that the knife was new. Neosporin at least has antibacterial properties in it. Give it 24 hours, as long as it doesnt turn red, ooze pus, or look funny, you'll probably be okay. At the first sign of fever or the cut looking funky, please consider being checked out by a doctor. I hope you feel better soon!!

Reply Reply

Tags
home care, inner-thigh, stab