It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board

• My Poor Little Toe

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
    Dani Girl 78
    Veteran
    (female)

Dani Girl 78 HB User
    Question My Poor Little Toe

About 2 weeks ago I was trying to hop over the baby gate and I got my little toe on my right foot caught and I kind of made my toes do the splits, if that makes sense at all. And ohhhh, holy cow it hurt so bad. About 4 days later it started to turn dark purple/gray and there was a red line up the top of my toe. It still hurts, I can only wear and be comfortable in flip flops. I didn't go to the doctor because I know there is nothing that can be done if it is broken, so I'm just wondering if any body has any tips for me.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
    Dani Girl 78
    Veteran
    (female)

Dani Girl 78 HB User
    Re: My Poor Little Toe

So nobody out there has hurt or broken their little toes?

Please help if you can, it still hurts so bad!!

Old 10-31-2005, 10:01 PM   #3
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Sorry... never broken any toes. But I think you can try taping it to the one next to it to see if that helps with the pain. Otherwise, it's just the standard treatment.... rest (stay off it), ice (try a bag of frozen peas), and keep it elevated.

The thing you probably want to be careful about is the possibility of dislocation. If the toe looks abnormal, like it isn't in the right position, then you should go to the doctor, because if it is dislocated it needs to be put back. If you have insurance, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to get it x-rayed anyway, just to make sure that it's nothing that needs more attention.

Hope you feel better soon!

Old 11-02-2005, 08:52 AM   #4
    Dani Girl 78
    Veteran
    (female)

Dani Girl 78 HB User

Thanks for responding. It doesn't look as if it was dislocated. I tried the buddy tape thing and it still hurts. I wish that I could stay off of it and keep it elevated, but with 2 kiddos I'm running all the time. It has gotten better, but if I step on it just the right way...OWWIE! I still can't wear shoes comfortably, so flip flops it is. I guess it will just heal in time and I have to try not to abuse too much until then.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
    janetinwestchas
    (female)

janetinwestchas HB User

DAni Girl, How is your toe?

I am having the same issue but with a different toe. Mine still hurts so much that flip flops are the only thing I can wear. I have been buddy taping for a week but it still hurts and is swollen at the base of my toe.

Just wondering how long it took your toe to get back to normal.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:05 AM   #6
    davidll1974
    (male)

davidll1974 HB User

Dea all,
    It seems that we can start a "broken toe club" here.
    I caught my toe on the wall corner 2 days before and it hurted like xxxx.
    I have buddy taped it for 2 days and i am feeling very well now on bare foot or flip-flop. I still cannot take any closed end shoes, it still hurts when shoe pressed on it.
    Does anyone know how long after can I put a proper shoe on?

Old 05-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

I have broken the same little toe more than once, yeah, a bummer. The toe can be taped to the next toe, but, be sure and put cotton between toes to cushion both toes from each other.

It will take 6-weeks or longer to heal.

However, the last time I broke my little toe I could not wear shoes for a year. Later on discovered I am diabetic and that may have been part of the problem with the slow healing.

Cute black patent leather flip flop type sandals work well for dress shoes if needed. Not the best looking dress shoe, however, it does look better than the other type.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:37 AM   #8
    janetinwestchas
    (female)

janetinwestchas HB User

I ended up having to have surgery on my toe yesterday! Some of the bone that broke off actually moved up into my joint. For those of you that feel like you have a broken toe, don't wait to go to the doctor and don't just assume that the buddy taping will work in your case or that is all that will be required to heal. Had I gone to the doctor within that first week, I probably could have avoided this surgery and a $2,000 medical bill!

Old 05-08-2006, 08:16 PM   #9
    davidll1974
    (male)

davidll1974 HB User

I had my foot x-rayed already. there is fracture on the second piece of bone, but the doctor said everything is aligned, there isn much displacement, but buddy taping it and let it heal naturally is the only option....

It has been 1 1/2 week since it was broken, i can now walk nicely on bare foot and flip-flop, no pain 99% of the time.

But I still cannot put on a proper closed-end shoe....last time i have to see a very important customer and i tried to wear something more appropriate...it was a bit painful...although not killing me, but irritating enough for me not to wear one yet....

Hope everyone in the broken toe club good luck.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Misty800
    I have broken the same little toe more than once, yeah, a bummer. The toe can be taped to the next toe, but, be sure and put cotton between toes to cushion both toes from each other.

It will take 6-weeks or longer to heal.

However, the last time I broke my little toe I could not wear shoes for a year. Later on discovered I am diabetic and that may have been part of the problem with the slow healing.

Cute black patent leather flip flop type sandals work well for dress shoes if needed. Not the best looking dress shoe, however, it does look better than the other type.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #10
    john the bomb
    (male)

john the bomb HB User

This puppy will take about 6 weeks to heal fully.Buddy splint it and wear a wide toe shoe for a while.A cast is not necessary.You will heal.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
    davidll1974
    (male)

davidll1974 HB User

Dear all,
    I visited my Dr. again today, he told me my poor little toe is healing in the right track. But my little toe has been bending a little bit outward and swelled since the accident and I asked whether it will become straight like before, my Dr said no, it would not be straight as before, it will keep bending a litlte outward unless i am willing to take a surgery to bend it back in.....

The swelling will gradually recover as times goes by...will take more time...

How about you guys

Last edited by davidll1974; 05-11-2006 at 07:14 PM.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
    JAF040462
    (female)

JAF040462 HB User

I was just Googling "toe" and "broken little toe" and came upon your posting. I broke my little toe seven weeks ago. I was simply repositioning myself on a stool that was wide and high. I had my bare feet on the brass rungs and was moving back when my foot slipped and the little toe went crashing into the bottom rung of the stool. I never knew this could be so painful.[url]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/eek.gif[/url]

I was going to skip going to the doctor too, but I learned that an X-Ray is important to make sure that the bone is still aligned and in a position to heal properly. If it isn't, it will take longer to heal and possibly heal in a crooked position permanently. That sounds like a lifetime of orthopedic shoes and podiatrists to me
    so I got it X-rayed.

The appearance you describe is much like my toe looked for about two weeks after the accident. The bruising is a tell-tale sign of a fracture as is the red line. I saw both on my little toe.

The average healing time is 8 to 10 weeks. My doctor told me 3--I guess he was being overly optimistic!! The toe throbbed constantly for about 2 weeks. I tried to keep it up and on ice, but I probably didn't do that enough. Around 3 weeks, the pain receded to the point that it only hurt when I was trying to wear a shoe. I gave up on shoes and wore fuzzy bed slippers! They were terrible in the snow.

I still can't wear my normal shoes; the little toe is still swollen but it is oh so slowly getting smaller. I was getting alarmed about this until I learned I might have 3 or 4 more weeks to go. [removed]

Good luck with your toe and enjoy those flip-flops!

Last edited by WanderingMod; 02-18-2007 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Please read and follow the posting rules. Posting commercial websites is not permitted.

Closed Thread