It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board

• Finger Injury

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
    outerspace87
    (male)

outerspace87 HB User
    Finger Injury

I jammed my finger approximately 2 months ago and I still experience pain. The pain is in the last knucke of my pinky finger. If I constant move it I experience no pain except when pressure is excerted to make the last knuckle overextend and when i make a really tight fits. I hate not gone to the doctor about this. If I keep the finger in the same position for a period of time all movements hurt for a few minutes. A week ago i decided to try a splint, and experience more pain when i remove it a few times during the day. I was wondering if anyone know what is wrong and what should I do to treat it.ie splint or no splint.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Finger Injury

the only thing about actually splinting something in place,is you have to be 100% certain that the bones are alligned right or you could end up with bone fusing to the wrong part of the bone,you know what i mean?what you described actually sounds more like possible ligament damage.i did the very same thing you did(jammed my middle finger)but actually saw a doc who sent me to an ortho who was an idiot(this was a work comp case)he just looked at my really swollen and black and blue finger and 'pronounced it 'tendon damage and actually castd me for like four weeks.found out when i saw another actual hand surgeon this idiot never even Dxed it right in the first place,and i should never have had a freaking cast on it either.what i had done was actually blown out the ligaments on both sides of the finger,the tendons were fine.i ended up needing hand therepy just to be able to really get any dexterity back in it.if this had been Dxed properly at the very beginning it would have been handled differently.you really DO need to see your doc about this.soon.first you really need to find out just exactly what the level of real injury is,and then go from there.if you don't want to lose permanent ability in that finger you just need it treated properly from the beginning,or now.you just should not be having the pain and symptoms you are currently having if things were actually okay in there,you know what i mean?you may need some therepy in the finger at this pint or some other type of treatment,but i would not hold off any longer.trust me,time IS dexterity here if your ligaments or tendons are involved in some way.you just don't want a permanent loss or the pain to never go away just becasue you never got it properly evaluated.just see your doc.he can start you off with some x rays for the bones and then possibly refer you to someone who could better evaluate possible tendon or ligament damage.its kind of up to you as far as what you are willing to accept here.hopefully you will see the need to have this looked into.i just would NOT actually splint it til you know what the real injury is in there.let a doc decide that for you.i wish you luck with this and hopefully you haven't damaged anything seriously.please keep me posted on how things are going,K? **

Closed Thread