It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board

• Baby girl burned her hand!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
    Baby girl burned her hand!

This weekend my baby (13 months old) burned her hand on the curling iron.... don't lecture me, I already know!!! Plus, it was my husband who had her....

Anyway, at the time, she was standing on the bathroom cabinet, because my husband was trying to comb her hair, and she plopped down and then screamed. We thought she had burned her leg on the curling iron, and we checked all over her legs and didn't see anything except maybe a small red spot. Stupidly, we assumed that was the burn.... we gave her an ice cold sippy cup.... we tried to put it on the red spot on her leg and she took it from us and immediately calmed down. We assumed that was that.

6 hours later, my husband was wiping baby's hands and noticed this huge burn on her hand. Ding ding ding! We finally clue into the fact that the poor kid had burned her hand on the curling iron, and yes. We are idiots.

So what I want to know is why the burn hadn't bothered her all day long? Initially she screamed and fussed, but since then, nothing. She's been perfectly happy and playing like always. Should I worry???

I mean, when I've had even the most superficial burns on my hands, they hurt like heck! Why doesn't hers hurt? I'd love to just be grateful and leave it at that, but.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Baby girl burned her hand!

Don't blame yourself too much. No matter how carefully you baby-proof, t's a toddler's job to injure herself in some outrageous accident that never even occurred to you before it happens.

It probably did hurt, and it's probably still uncomfortable, but she's getting over it. I'd just keep an eye on it. Did it blister?

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
    marisuela (10-04-2011)
    Old 10-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
    slenderella
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

No blame here!
    You ask a VERY interesting question! What looks like it should hurt so much, doesn't seem to be bothering her. I'm just like you, if I even touch the top of a finger when I'm pulling something out of the broiler it kills me for two hours. It's a fact that some people have higher pain thresholds than others, and maybe the burn just looks bad and is only superficial. I do think that I would call the pediatrician, just to ask. She responds to pain in other areas, yes? Like when she gets her inoculations, falls....

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
    marisuela (10-04-2011)
    Old 10-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Thanks, to both of you! I still feel like a moron for not noticing the HUGE blisters on her hand, though!

She does respond to other pains (diaper rash, head bumps, SHOTS, scrapes, bruising, fat lip, etc....). But when I touch her burn at all, it doesn't bother her. It just floors me because anytime I have ever gotten a burn, it hurts for days afterwards! She acts like there is nothing there.

I can't imagine how it doesn't hurt her! There was a huge blister and a couple of small blisters (when I say huge, I mean about 1 1/2 inches long, half an inch wide, and then a couple of small blisters, to total about a 3 inch space.... not really huge at all! But compared to any other injury of any of my other 3 girls, it's HUGE!). Now the huge blister has popped and is starting to dry out, half the skin of that blister has peeled away and this dark red skin is showing underneath and it's so ugly and painful looking, but again, it doesn't seem to bother her. I'm guessing that the drying out part means it's healing on it's own???

We did go to an ER that night (it was right next to the hotel we were staying at, which was so nice!). My husband got her out of bed while she was asleep, walked her over to the ER, and was back within 45 minutes. She never even woke up! The ER doc said not to do anything to it and that it would heal on it's own.

I did show her own doctor today (at her sister's 3 year well check), and her doctor said to put silvadine(?) on it, and to cover it with gauze, but I'm not sure that's the right thing to do? I hate when I get conflicting advice from doctors!!!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
    mscat40
    (female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marisuela View Post
    Thanks, to both of you! I still feel like a moron for not noticing the HUGE blisters on her hand, though!

She does respond to other pains (diaper rash, head bumps, SHOTS, scrapes, bruising, fat lip, etc....). But when I touch her burn at all, it doesn't bother her. It just floors me because anytime I have ever gotten a burn, it hurts for days afterwards! She acts like there is nothing there.

I can't imagine how it doesn't hurt her! There was a huge blister and a couple of small blisters (when I say huge, I mean about 1 1/2 inches long, half an inch wide, and then a couple of small blisters, to total about a 3 inch space.... not really huge at all! But compared to any other injury of any of my other 3 girls, it's HUGE!). Now the huge blister has popped and is starting to dry out, half the skin of that blister has peeled away and this dark red skin is showing underneath and it's so ugly and painful looking, but again, it doesn't seem to bother her. I'm guessing that the drying out part means it's healing on it's own???

We did go to an ER that night (it was right next to the hotel we were staying at, which was so nice!). My husband got her out of bed while she was asleep, walked her over to the ER, and was back within 45 minutes. She never even woke up! The ER doc said not to do anything to it and that it would heal on it's own.

I did show her own doctor today (at her sister's 3 year well check), and her doctor said to put silvadine(?) on it, and to cover it with gauze, but I'm not sure that's the right thing to do? I hate when I get conflicting advice from doctors!!!
    Hi there ,
    I am sorry your little baby was Burned . And yes this was a complete accident. These things happen and it is often very fast. I can answer a few of your questions . The reason why the burn did not hurt after a while is because the burn is a second degree one> I hate to tell you this, but burns that are 2nd-3rd degree do not hurt as much because it goes through layers of skin, killing the nerves. Since she had blisters this is a good indication it was a second degree burn. The Dr. is correct. Apply the cream to the affected area and cover it with gauze. The cream is specifically formualted for burns , and is often used. the biggest and most important thing is to keep the burn dry and clean. BUrns can easily be infected , so this is why it is very important to keep it covered and use the cream. She should not scar if the burn heals correctly without complications. By the time a burn blisters up the pain is gone. But, it hurts after the blister pops it feels like a horrible stinging sensation. Keeping the cream on her hand and bandaged will help her feel better because the burn is not exposed to the air Be sure to use the cream because a burn tends to stick to bandage and peels off again , which makes the healing process take longer.
    I have very severe third degree burns and second degree burns that are all healed , babies and small children have the highest related burn accidents per year.
    your sweet little daughter is going to be fine .

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
    marisuela (10-04-2011)
    Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Today, the skin of the biggest blister peeled all the way off and NOW it seems to be bothering her. Up until this morning, the burn was looking like it was drying up, but today, it's kind of bleeding in places. Is that normal???

I forgot to mention in my last post that the Silvadine worries me, because I am allergic to sulfa drugs, and so is my mother, and I've been told it runs in families.... that is just not something I want to have to worry about on top of the burn! I also stupidly forgot to mention that to the doctor!

I did put some neosporin ointment on it (the kind with pain killer in it) and put a non-stick bandage on it, and wrapped it with an adhesive wrap. My biggest worry now is that she'll pull the bandaging off and choke on it!!! How do you wrap a baby's hand so it stays wrapped???

If there's a better ointment to put on her, that isn't sulfa related, please let me know!!! I put a call into her doctor, but it might take 3 days before she gets back to me! Plus, if I call her knowing the name of the medication I want, she's pretty good about calling it in without making me come back in.

Thanks again!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
    mscat40
    (female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

That would concern me too , a possiblw allergic reaction Theri is anther one , but that is primarialy used for bad burns, but it might be the best thing for you little one. It is not a cream or ointment. It is a dressing and it is called Exeroform. It is yellow and comes in a roll , it feels like it has vaseline on it. It does not hurt . The little bit of bleeding is normal . When the burn starts healing it could itch and that might make your baby want to take the banage off. I don't know how to stop a baby from doing that. your doing all the right things for your baby's burn.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
    marisuela (10-05-2011)
    Old 10-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Is it okay to leave the burn unbandaged at night while she sleeps? I worry so much about her eating the bandage and choking on it!!! I thought I had it pretty well wrapped where she couldn't get it off today, but in the car, driving to ballet, I glanced back and she had it half undone and was chewing on the loose part! And she had the biggest, proudest grin on her face, too! Rotten little thing!

Thanks so much for everyone's advice and help here. Burns are not something I've ever had to deal with before (weird, considering my Dad was a firefighter for 30-something years!), and I just don't want to do anything to jeopardize my baby's health!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Still not sure if it is okay to leave the hand unbandaged at night, BUT I did solve the daytime problem (I hope!). I cut the toe off of one of her socks, cut a small hole on one side for her thumb, and slid it on over her bandage. The top of the sock was always a little tight for her cankles, so it's the perfect size for her chubby little arms! It's working great so far!

Old 10-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
    mscat40
    (female)

I think it is ok to leave the bandage off while baby is sleeping. Just make sure she is asleep all the way.
    That is a clever idea to use a little sock

Last edited by mod85; 10-07-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks! The sock is working pretty well. I have since perfected the technique. I cut off the toes, then put a little slice into the heal, and it fits her hand perfectly!

So my new question is, should I bandage her hand a little tighter or a little looser? Obviously I know how to not to cut off her circulation, but do burns require good snug wrapping, or slightly looser wrapping?

I am so out of my element with this!!!! Thanks for all the help!

Old 10-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I've generally heard loose covering for burns. You aren't trying to hold down either swelling or bleeding, you're just trying to protect it.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
    marisuela (10-12-2011)
    Old 10-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

New question! (and thanks Jane for your previous response... I read it the other day, just didn't have time to reply then!)

Her hand looks really good now. It has a good scab over where the blister was, it's all dried up looking, and it doesn't seem to bother her anymore. She HATES the bandage now. She liked it when her owie was hurting, but now she screams and runs away if I even open the medicine cabinet (something we need to get over, cause good grief!!!). Do I need to keep the bandage on anymore?

Closed Thread