It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board

• so called cronic bladder infections

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2003, 04:00 PM   #1
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Angry so called cronic bladder infections

I had continual longtime burning and pain that was stopped by urinating but eventually continued all the time, I took many antibiotics at high doses, on the theory that I had a bladder infection, also took megadoses of vitamin C and bicarb soda with no help.
    no bladder infection could ever be found in my urine

I was then cystrescoped by a urologist who found nothimg wrong

eventually another doc tried me on the bedwetting dose of tofranil, a tricyclic antidepressant, which calms the bladder as a side effect
    this stopped the pain
    socalled cronic bladder infections with no infection ever found in the urine are quite likely to be anxiety related and any antidepressant med should be tried, the bedwetting dose of tofranil is much smaller than the antidepressant dose

I was so contemptuous of my doctors that I never told them of my cure.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2003, 08:35 AM   #2
    Piperdreams
    Inactive

Piperdreams HB User
    I had symptoms of bladder infections (bladder burning, pelvi pain, urgency, etc) without the presence of bacteria. It turned out that I have interstitial cystitis.

Old 04-18-2003, 08:57 PM   #3
    ds4832
    Inactive

ds4832 HB User
    i too had been treated for a UTI and after 4 weeks of antibiotic treatment my dr thinks that it may be a yeast infection and prescribed 2 doses of Diflucan. I can say that a few hours after my first dose i felt some relief..havent noticed much difference yet after the 2nd dose..

Old 04-21-2003, 05:16 PM   #4
    sonic
    Veteran
    (female)

sonic HB User
    Hi there...
    Piperdreams...Could you please tell me more about interstitial cystitis.
    What are your symptoms, & how was it treated?
    Im haveing some pain in my belly & pee alot,,Ive never had a UTI,,so dont know what to look for,,also,,am just getting over a yeast infection.
    ~~Thanks

Old 04-25-2003, 08:22 AM   #5
    Piperdreams
    Inactive

Piperdreams HB User
    Hi Sonic:

I compiled some general info regarding interstitial cystitis (IC) from the net. There is huge amounts oof info available on the internet. If you wish, I can also post some IC books names.

What is Interstitial Cystitis?
    Interstitial Cystitis (IC) is a chronic inflammation of the bladder wall. 'Common' cystitis is a urinary tract infection caused by bacteria and is usually treated with antibiotics. Unlike common cystitis, IC is not believed to be caused by bacteria, and does not respond to conventional antibiotic therapy. It is important to note, however, that IC is not a psychosomatic disorder, nor is it caused by stress.

It can take a very long time to get a correct diagnosis. There tends to be a lack of awareness of IC in the medical profession (and the general public). The ICSG is trying to address this problem through the distribution of education information and literature.

Bladder diseases also remain to be 'socially unacceptable' conditions which are not often discussed in public. Some sufferers may feel isolated because of this. The ICSG can provide IC patients with understanding local contacts.

It is important to note that the disease affects individuals in very different ways. There is no set of universal symptoms for IC. But the effect of IC on an individual's life cannot be understated. The disease is often debilitating and may cause the patient to experience feelings of helplessness and despair. Nevertheless, hope is possible due to the progress that has already been made in alerting the scientific world to the seriousness of the condition.

What are the main symptoms of IC?
    FREQUENCY - Day and/or night frequency of urination (up to 60 times a day in severe cases). In early or very mild cases, frequency is sometimes the only symptom.

URGENCY - The sensation of having to urinate immediately may also be accompanied by pain, pressure or spasms.

PAIN - Can be in the abdominal, urethral or vaginal area. Pain is also frequently associated with sexual intercourse.

What are the differences between IC and Bacterial Cystitis?
    INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS
    Long term frequency
    Clear urine
    No bacteria present in urine test
    Temporary relief during voiding
    Symptoms not relieved by antibiotics
    Pain and discomfort with bladder filling
    Symptoms continuous and permanent
    BACTERIAL CYSTITIS
    Frequency during attacks
    Cloudy, smelly urine
    Bacteria show in urine test
    Burning pain during voiding
    Symptoms relieved by antibiotics
    Symptoms unrelated to bladder filling
    Attacks tend to be short and last only a few days

What causes IC?
    No-one knows what causes IC, which is why money is needed to be spent on medical research. IC cannot be caught from another person.

[This message has been edited by Piperdreams (edited 04-25-2003).]

Closed Thread